Nikon Live View

ShutterStaciShutterStaci Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited July 18, 2010 in Cameras
Hopefully a fellow Nikon User can help me out here. When you are in Live View mode how do you get the camera to take pictures? I've read and re-read the manual and can't figure it out. It only lets me shoot video in Lv. I've tried going to the auto focus menu and choosing Live View and a focus point but nothing changes. Suggestions?
Nikon D5000
Nikon P80
Nikkor 22-300 VR
Nikkor 18-55 VR

Comments

• nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Press and hold the shutter for a longer bit. It bugged me the first couple tries too, on my D300s.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Nightowlcat is right; just hold the shutter down and it'll work.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    On the D5000? Jamming the shutter all the way down doesn't take pictures?

As per the specs I see online, the "OK" button should record video, and the shutter release should take pictures. There seems to be no customization that allows the shutter to be programmed otherwise...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Yeah, Staci. The first "slap" you hear is just the mirror moving out of the way. I'll bet you're releasing your pressure on the shutter button at the sound of that "slap." It's a little bit delayed. Kinda takes you back to the reason we all hated Point-&-Shoots. mwink.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Nothing eats your battery like live view. Funny thing is, I have it on my P&S, but glad the D200 doesn't have it. Don't miss it at all.
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • ChiShutterChiShutter Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Yeah, Staci. The first "slap" you hear is just the mirror moving out of the way. I'll bet you're releasing your pressure on the shutter button at the sound of that "slap." It's a little bit delayed. Kinda takes you back to the reason we all hated Point-&-Shoots. mwink.gif
    That first slap of the mirror moving should come when you first enter live view, as it requires the mirror to be up, no?
  • ShutterStaciShutterStaci Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Yeah I figured it out. You do just hold it down longer I think I just got confused because in the manual it mentioned something about a not recording icon so I wad looking for that to come up.
    Nikon D5000
    Nikon P80
    Nikkor 22-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 VR