Options

cropping aspect ratio

GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
edited July 16, 2010 in Technique
Hi!

I would like to know the aspect ratio to the most popular sizes customers order (4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc).
I have a customer who wants to order two 8x10's; this one and this one. These will not crop properly as an 8x10. I suggested to order them in 8x12, but she is fixed on an 8x10, but does not like how it looks. Is there a way I do not know about that I could make these pictures 8x10 and make it stay as is.. I am doubting myself now:dunno; maybe I will learn something today :) I have LR and CS4

Thank you!!
GG

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 16, 2010
    In a word, no.

You can't change proportions without changing the pic. The first can sort of work 8x10 if you crop off a bit of the top of the kid's head. The second is more of a problem, I think. I'm curious about what's so special about 8x10 to your customers. If they have some frame they want to recycle, that can be done with a custom mat. headscratch.gif.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2010
    hahahahaaha. She said she had to custom frame it, if she ordered them 8x12. I told her, she can find 8x12 frames at any craft store. She is still skeptical about it. She is stuck on 8x10's! Change takes time. Hopefully, she decides on the 8x12. Then she will see and be happy.

Thanks Richard
    GG
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2010
    She wants the blanket in it; because of meaning.
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2010
    8x12 then.
    That is the thing.. she is fixated on 8x10's ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    You can always print it on 8x10 media with side bars. I have no idea what software you use, but it's not too hard to increase your canvas size and fill the side bars with a color, or black. Lightroom 3 makes the whole process idiot proof.

On the other hand, you could always skew (stretch horizontally) the whole thing, and give her an 8x10 of the world's fattest baby! :D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Just show her that frames for 8x12 are available, maybe...?
    http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_product.cfm?item=31233
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2010
    YES!!! she finally said "let's do the 8x12"!! thank you guys for your support.clap.gif