Lr3 nr

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited July 17, 2010 in Finishing School
by the way LR3 noise reduction is very good now. I don't think you will need noise ninja or other stand alone products anymore.

I also like the BW grain tool.
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 16, 2010
    I agree - it is better than I had hoped. The RAW engine is generally much improved when used with the 2010 standards and profiles.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 17, 2010
    Yes, it is a big improvement. I set up ISO-based defaults and only rarely do I need to do further work in Noiseware. Still, there are some cases where Noiseware's ability to target certain color or tonal ranges gives a better tuned result than ACR/LR's global adjustments. You can accomplish the same thing with multiple conversions that you mask and blend in PS, but it's more work that way. For example, every now and then (and for reasons I have never understood) I see graininess in an all-blue sky shot at low ISO--no visible noise in the rest of the pic. I have a Noiseware preset that restricts the reduction to blues only with high detail preservation. A couple of mouse clicks and the problem is solved.
    edited July 17, 2010
    I see the same thing from time to time, Richard - a clear blue sky shot at ISO 100, that was not over exposed or highly twisted in Raw conversion, that, nonetheless, displays visible grain in the sky with large enlargements - that I cure by a pass with NoiseWare. I do a quick mask or a quick selection with the Quick Selection tool, rather than limiting the effect to the blue channel in NoiseWare, but I can see that would work also.

It is good that the LR/CR5 Noise removal works well in 64 bit program mode, because is sounds like it is going to be quite a while, if ever, before we get NoiseWare in a 64bit program mode too.

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 17, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    \

It is good that the LR/CR5 Noise removal works well in 64 bit program mode, because is sounds like it is going to be quite a while, if ever, before we get NoiseWare in a 64bit program mode too.
    Hmm...oh, right, you're one of those Mac guys. rolleyes1.gif According to their Web site, Noiseware Pro does work in 64-bit Vista/7. I am still running 32-bit XP and it is plenty peppy.
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Hmm...oh, right, you're one of those Mac guys. rolleyes1.gif According to their Web site, Noiseware Pro does work in 64-bit Vista/7. I am still running 32-bit XP and it is plenty peppy.

I'm using NW on W7 x64...no problems. They released updates for most/all of their products a few months ago for x64. thumb.gif
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
    edited July 17, 2010
    N
    Richard wrote: »

I drank the cool aide about 7 years ago,and I wear black turtleneck shirts too!