LR3 Lens Profiles

GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited July 19, 2010 in Finishing School
So, LR3 has the lens correction feature in it. Very cool. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as if they have a profile for the EFS 18-200 IS. Not sure why as it's one of their more popular lenses and needs the help.

Anyway, I've not been able to find a profile online anywhere. I know Adobe has a utility for creating profiles so, as a last resort, I could always do this. Does anyone know of where a profile for this lens might be?

Thanks.

Comments

• brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    I just found out that Photoshop CS5 has a utility within it to get new lens profiles from adobe, but apparently it was added so last minute into LR 3, nothing similar was added. I'd expect the next LR release to add something similar. I don't know of any other central repositories for lens profiles (yet).

Brian
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 16, 2010
    I have just begun to use the profiles - the one for the 50 F1.4 seems to work pretty nicely. It will be interesting to see how this capability continues to improve over time.

The Canon 18-200 is a nice walkaround, I carry mine with me at all times, but it really does suffer from some pincushion distortion )( at least at the wide end ), that could be corrected nicely with a nice lens profile I suspect.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    From Adobe Labs, a lens profile creator:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

GadgetRick wrote: »
    SoUnfortunately, it doesn't seem as if they have a profile for the EFS 18-200 IS.
    Thanks.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    So I'm guessing nobody has seen a profile already? I guess I'll have to spend an afternoon figuring out how to make a profile. From what I understand, it's fairly easy with primes but not sure how rough on zooms.

The 18-200 is a good walkaround lens. It's quite popular and I'm not sure why they didn't include a profile for it. I don't really use it all that often anymore but, when I do, it does suffer from really bad distortions at both ends as well as CA. Quite annoying.

I used a trial version of PT Lens at one point but it would be nice to just do it in LR.

Thanks.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    brianb wrote: »
    I just found out that Photoshop CS5 has a utility within it to get new lens profiles from adobe, but apparently it was added so last minute into LR 3, nothing similar was added. I'd expect the next LR release to add something similar. I don't know of any other central repositories for lens profiles (yet).

Lens correction in Photoshop is for rendered images. The stuff in LR operates on the raw data. That’s where the job should really be done.

For the OP, while you can roll your own lens profiles, not having one doesn’t stop you from using the manual controls to affect lens correction. Use the various sliders in manual mode.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    arodney wrote: »
    Lens correction in Photoshop is for rendered images. The stuff in LR operates on the raw data. That’s where the job should really be done.

For the OP, while you can roll your own lens profiles, not having one doesn’t stop you from using the manual controls to affect lens correction. Use the various sliders in manual mode.

I know, it's juts tedious to do for every image. :)
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote: »
    I know, it's juts tedious to do for every image. :)

Copy and paste!
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/