Weekly Assignment #145: Dashboard

NikolaiNikolai Darth SLRPosts: 19,033Registered Users Major grins
edited September 24, 2010 in Assignments
This is as dull and as straightforward task as it sounds: take a good picture of your (or your friend's/neighbour's/ rental) car dashboard and share it here.
Try to make it sexy. Try to make it look awesome. Daylight, nightlight, dashboard lights... Make it a billboard ad. Make it a front cover for a "Cur & Dryver". Make your SO beg you to buy a car with that kind of dashboard.

One entry per person (unless very different entries). Fresh pictures only. Extra info (like, what car it was) and setup pics are welcome.

Are you still here? Close the browser and and start shooting! :wink
"May the f/stop be with you!"
Star*Explorer: on Dgrin, home; Master Class: open;
Class is in session, My Facebook, @DarthSLR, #NiksTips
member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time

Comments

  • ShutterStaciShutterStaci Big grins Posts: 43Registered Users Big grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    '85 Chevy
    Is there a rule about submitting multiple threads per assignment? I have a few different "subjects" to play with for this assignment. Number one, my husbands project 1985 Chevy shortbox.
    Nikon D5000
    Nikon P80
    Nikkor 22-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 VR
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR Posts: 19,033Registered Users Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Is there a rule about submitting multiple threads per assignment? I have a few different "subjects" to play with for this assignment. Number one, my husbands project 1985 Chevy shortbox.
    The typical rule is multiple entries are ok as long as they are different...
    I like your first one:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Star*Explorer: on Dgrin, home; Master Class: open;
    Class is in session, My Facebook, @DarthSLR, #NiksTips
    member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
    Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
  • gecko0gecko0 Major grins Posts: 383Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    I'm jumping into the assignments with this one...hoping to go back and work on many of the older ones as well.

    This was quite a bit more challenging than I expected, mainly because of the flash placement. Tight spaces make for a frustrated camera operator! :D

    Hopefully these are different enough to allow two entries. The first was actually an accident, but after processing, I liked the surreal feel to it. The second is my "brochure" shot.

    Lexus IS350. Two flashes used, one in the back seat pointed at the headliner (1:1), the other outside the front passenger window through an umbrella (1:4).

    1. ISO 400 | 4s | f/5.6

    970650661_gRMwm-L-2.jpg

    2. ISO 400 | 1/200 | f/5.6

    970652263_i7kyH-L-1.jpg
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR Posts: 19,033Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    I'm jumping into the assignments with this one...hoping to go back and work on many of the older ones as well.

    This was quite a bit more challenging than I expected, mainly because of the flash placement. Tight spaces make for a frustrated camera operator! :D

    Hopefully these are different enough to allow two entries. The first was actually an accident, but after processing, I liked the surreal feel to it. The second is my "brochure" shot.

    Lexus IS350. Two flashes used, one in the back seat pointed at the headliner (1:1), the other outside the front passenger window through an umbrella (1:4).

    1. ISO 400 | 4s | f/5.6

    2. ISO 400 | 1/200 | f/5.6
    While I do like these images (esp #1thumb.gif) they are more like steering wheel shots that dashboard ones. ne_nau.gif
    Please remember: this is a class, the assignments are often literal (and I'm often anal about it;-) deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Star*Explorer: on Dgrin, home; Master Class: open;
    Class is in session, My Facebook, @DarthSLR, #NiksTips
    member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
    Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
  • gecko0gecko0 Major grins Posts: 383Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Back to the drawing board...errrr...garage for me then. I'll give it another try soon. Thanks!
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • gecko0gecko0 Major grins Posts: 383Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Retry...went out wider with same lighting setup.

    To make it more interesting, I used a slower shutter to get the gauge motion.

    ISO 320 | 2s | f/11

    971240301_g648i-L.jpg
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR Posts: 19,033Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    Retry...went out wider with same lighting setup.

    To make it more interesting, I used a slower shutter to get the gauge motion.

    ISO 320 | 2s | f/11

    Much better, and this time, it's a fit! thumb.gifclap
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Star*Explorer: on Dgrin, home; Master Class: open;
    Class is in session, My Facebook, @DarthSLR, #NiksTips
    member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
    Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
  • red_zonered_zone n00b Posts: 533Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    Hi Nikolai,
    I've been lurking occasionally in challenges and finally decided to try one out. Unfortunately this was a display car, so re-shoot is not possible. The leather dashboard of this 2011 Porsche Cayenne hybrid caught my eye and I liked the way the curves flow toward the camera. There's a few nits I have, but wanted to see what you think.

    1019883146_yyYDU-L.jpg
    ________________________________________________
    Jake
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR Posts: 19,033Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    red_zone wrote: »
    Hi Nikolai,
    I've been lurking occasionally in challenges and finally decided to try one out. Unfortunately this was a display car, so re-shoot is not possible. The leather dashboard of this 2011 Porsche Cayenne hybrid caught my eye and I liked the way the curves flow toward the camera. There's a few nits I have, but wanted to see what you think.
    Thank you!
    I like the curves, the craftmanship of the hidework and the BW treatment!
    I, too, have nits (framing, angle and such), but I understand carshows, you can't always get what you want...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Star*Explorer: on Dgrin, home; Master Class: open;
    Class is in session, My Facebook, @DarthSLR, #NiksTips
    member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
    Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
Sign In or Register to comment.