Canon 70-200 f4 L question

luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
edited August 28, 2005 in Cameras
Hi gurus,
I'm sorting my self out in preparation for my first SLR camera and trying to pick my glass. Still not 100% if i'll go 350D or D70s as I have no prior allegiance. :)
I enjoy wildlife and action type shots, but basically if anything gets in front of me i'll photograph it (see my gallery).
I am keen for the sigma 50-500mm but getting one may be tough when it comes time to purchase.
My limit for a zoom is about 1500 dollars (aust) roughly $1125 USD.
I was also looking at the Canon 70-200 f4 L and was wondering if I got this with an 2x extender would this be useless for wildlife because of the F4 of this lense.
Any guidance is muchly appreciated even a poke in the right direction for another decent lens will be fine.
http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6

Comments

• schmoeschmoe Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    70-200 f/4
    The 70-200 is a great lens but a little short for wildlife. The one thing to consider if you want to go with a 2x TC is that you will be limited to manual focus only. If you are O.K. with the manual focus then the 70-200 f/4 with a 2X TC would be fast enough if you are shooting outdoors in decent light.

You mentioned you were thinking the Sigma 50-500 (a.k.a. Bigma) was outside of your budget of approximately $1100 USD. If you do your homework and shop around you can find it below $1000 USD. Try sigma4less.com they have an excellent reputation and are quite a bit cheaper. Also try deltainternational.com I have never used them but have seen several people give them high praise. I bought mine from an e-bay retailer and got it for less than a $1000 USD.

Given the choice between the two I would go with the Bigma over the 70-200 with a TC.

Hope that helps.
    Youth is wasted on the young!
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Have you looked at and considered the 400 f/5.6L? It's just at about your budget. Although the 5.6 may be too slow for wildlife.ne_nau.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    Have you looked at and considered the 400 f/5.6L? It's just at about your budget. Although the 5.6 may be too slow for wildlife.ne_nau.gif
    The sigma 70-200 2.8 EX DG with their 2x DG TC would be in your ballpark, and its a mighty nice combo that will keep the auto focus and f5.6.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    luckydog wrote:
    Hi gurus,
    I'm sorting my self out in preparation for my first SLR camera and trying to pick my glass. Still not 100% if i'll go 350D or D70s as I have no prior allegiance. :)
    I enjoy wildlife and action type shots, but basically if anything gets in front of me i'll photograph it (see my gallery).
    I am keen for the sigma 50-500mm but getting one may be tough when it comes time to purchase.
    My limit for a zoom is about 1500 dollars (aust) roughly $1125 USD.
    I was also looking at the Canon 70-200 f4 L and was wondering if I got this with an 2x extender would this be useless for wildlife because of the F4 of this lense.
    Any guidance is muchly appreciated even a poke in the right direction for another decent lens will be fine.
    I would not get that for wildlife.

not long enough, and with the 2 Xs, well, I just would not get it for wildlife. People get it and love it. I have it, but it is not my wildlife lens. It is my misc lens. I had a Canon 300L f4 and traded for a 400L f5.6. one of those would be better, together with the 70-200.

One thing that really annoys me about the 70-200, since it is my misc lens, is how far away I have to be from the subject for it to focus. Of course mine is the f4. As I say, others love it. most of those others are not birding, that I know of, or not with that lens, except for unusual situations.

I also have the 17-40 CanonL zoom, I love that lens, not for wildlife, but in general. The one I like the least, in general, too short for some things and too long for others, is the 70-200L. I would not buy it for wildlife. And I was on heavy budget, too.

ginger (I have heard better things from a few people re the push/pull 100-400. And some people hate that one.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    hey 'Dog!!!

The 70-200 is a groovy lens :D BUT for wildlife a tad short. I think it is a great lens to have though, I've been working my collection towards a set that suits me fine:
    17-40 wide angle shots
    24-70 walkaround lens
    50 F/1.4 ultra low light prime :D it kicks @ss
    70-200 F/4 the best budget lens Canon as has far as I'm concerned!!! for daily use alongside the 24-70
    400 F/5.6 for wildlife alongside a 1.4 TC (on order :D)
    Perhaps you should consider that you might be buying more lenses in the future.... I've considered and discarded the Bigma and the Sigma 80-400 and Canon 100-400 and the 400mm comes on top :D

The bigma is a fine lens though and I've seen many a great photo from it!!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Thanks for the imput. :):

The 100-400L is like $2500+ down here. Rediculously overpriced compared to what it goes for in the US (What's the point of having exchange rates when people are more happy to rip you off). umph.gif

The Bigma is what I crave, but apparently it's just gone into reproduction and is expected in Aust. early Sept. My problem is that I'm trying to change careers and the only time I will have the funds is when I leave the military and get my payout. So I am basically hoping that they are still available when that day comes.

If it does not eventuate is there a decently priced 300mm zoom that would do the trick with an 1.4x or 2x ???

I saw a 650-1300mm canon lens on Ebay last night for $1300 but that's a lot of zoom and I would guess a huge light craver! Also would require a few lenses just to bridge the ranges under this monster.
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • MPDMPD Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2005
    I'm sure i've seen the Bigma for <$1500 in Melbourne, and I've definately seen the new (DG) version, so you should be able to get it within your budget.
    edited August 27, 2005
    luckydog wrote:
    The Bigma is what I crave, but apparently it's just gone into reproduction and is expected in Aust. early Sept. My problem is that I'm trying to change careers and the only time I will have the funds is when I leave the military and get my payout. So I am basically hoping that they are still available when that day comes.
    The old bigma still works well, I suggest getting a used one to save costs AND at the same time get you a great lens. You may want to consider a 50mm F/1.8 alongside the bigma for low light work, that lens is *dirt* cheap so you'll have no problem getting one :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    My Canon 400 f5.6 came last week, have been out w it, not serious stuff, just "out" looking for birds, about three times. Yesterday that lens, and the tide, it brought home the bacon, or whatever one would call a bird.

That is one super lens!

ginger (That is what I would get.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited August 27, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Canon 400 f5.6
    ginger (That is what I would get.)
    I disagree somewhat as it would almost consume the entire budget. As a first and only lens for a while I think the 400 is very unsuitable. As an addition for tele to an existing collection it is a marvel of course :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    I disagree somewhat as it would almost consume the entire budget. As a first and only lens for a while I think the 400 is very unsuitable. As an addition for tele to an existing collection it is a marvel of course :D
    Sigma 100-300 f4

Constant f4, HSM, works well with a 1.4 TC, and costs about 760 US from sigma4less.com . What more could ya want?
    ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    I could not part with my 400. Fast focus & laser sharp. Worry about the shorter stuff later.

My 2 bobs worth.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Before I got my 500mm my two main wildlife lenses were the 300mm f4 with a 1.4 TC and the 80-400 zoom. The Sigma 80-400 with OS goes for under $1000US and the Cannon 300mm F4 should also be in your price range.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Hi Darryl.

Lets crack a few myths first. A 70-200L F4 will AF, but it won't do it well.
    On my D Reb 300, it would not AF on the center focus point, but it would
    on the one just to the left of it. This is what is called a work around. This
    was with a Quantaray 2X TC, about $80 US. Looking at your gallery, most of
    your wildlife shots are of stationary animals. For that kind of shooting, the
    Sigma 50-500 or the 80-400os would probably work well for you.

I have the 80-400os. Is it a fast lens? No. Would I buy it again? Yes.
    I have heard others say that their 80-400 are sharp wide open. Well mine isn't.
    I have to shoot at F8 for the pic to be sharp. With os, you can hand hold some
    pretty low shutter speeds. I have very steady hands, I can hand hold it down
    to 125 of a second with good results. With that said, I did buy a monopod to
    help me. The lens is heavy, but not unmanageable.

After I got the Sigma, my 70-200L F4, and my 75-300is never came out
    of the camera bag. So I sold them and bought a Canon 200L F2.8.
    This is one of the sharpest lenses around. I use it with a 2X TC and it
    becomes a 400 F5.6. But it doesn't have image stab. I wouldn't buy a long
    lens without it.

Well I dragged that out long enough. For me, I would get the Sigma
    80-400os, the Canon 100-400is, or the Canon 300L F4is and a good 1.4 TC.
    If you buy the Nikon, the Sigma is still there, and Harry gets great shots
    with his Nikon 80-400.

My final word, don't get the XT, move up to the 20D right away and save
    for the lens. I got a great deal on the 300D when Canon had their triple
    rebaits. Now I'm looking at getting a 20D. Don't go cheap, you'll just end up
    buying it twice.

My gallery with the Sigma is here: http://www.pbase.com/davev/sigma

Good luck.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited August 28, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I could not part with my 400. Fast focus & laser sharp. Worry about the shorter stuff later.

My 2 bobs worth.
    easy enough to say when you get the 10-22 at the same time :D I know I wouldn't be happy with only 400mm...... I *need* to get closer/wider

On a sidenote, you are the one that has brought me this 400mm disease :D I have it on order right now, my sealion shots were just too sharp mwink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    On a sidenote, you are the one that has brought me this 400mm disease :D I have it on order right now, my sealion shots were just too sharp mwink.gif
    Good to see i have passed the 'andy virus' on thumb.gif