Options

More about cropping aspect

imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited July 20, 2010 in Technique
So... this may be yet another idiotic question (I tend to post some doozies), but... for those of us that don't shoot with a full frame camera, is there any way to show "proofs" for someone that would want to order 8x10's etc, rather than showing the full shot??? I have CS4 and LR2 but am lost on this...
Blessings,
Marjohn

Images of Him Photography

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    Marjohn,

I am perplexed by your question. Whether a camera is full frame or not does not have any bearing on the processed image size.

You can crop the image to any aspect ratio you want. If you had a SmugMug account your clients could go to the buy page and crop the image themselves.

As an example go to my or any other SmugMug website, pick an image click buy and you will see a window that allows you to custom crop the image. You can play around with this and exit without buying anything, so your not trapped into spending money. :D

I am not sure if I answered your question If I didn't try re-stating and ask again.

Sam
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    In LR2 you can crop the image to 8x10 aspect ratio. Then the easiest thing to do, is apply that setting to everything else in the collection you are working on. Then, just enter the crop tool (press 'R'), and slide the bounding box around to where you want it. You don't have to press 'done' just click on the next image and you can keep adjusting the images. Press 'done' when you are fully done, and now you have everything cropped to 8x10 the way you want to show it. You may chose to make a virtual copy of everything first and work only on those so you still have a full image to work from, though the transform in LR won't throw the pixels away and you can go back anytime to change the crop.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Marjohn,

I am perplexed by your question. Whether a camera is full frame or not does not have any bearing on the processed image size.

You can crop the image to any aspect ratio you want. If you had a SmugMug account your clients could go to the buy page and crop the image themselves.

As an example go to my or any other SmugMug website, pick an image click buy and you will see a window that allows you to custom crop the image. You can play around with this and exit without buying anything, so your not trapped into spending money. :D

I am not sure if I answered your question If I didn't try re-stating and ask again.

Sam

I think I figured out my own issue---I have to leave extra space so things aren't chopped off... right? Yes, I have a SmugMug Pro account and when clients order 8x10's, legs, arms, etc. are cut off. So, I think I just need to re-think my shooting. Like I said, please forgive my ignorance and thank for the help!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Katz Eye makes focusing screens for a good number of cameras that shows 8x10 or 5x7 crop lines,
    so that if you shoot within those bounderies you keep all of your subject in the printed frame.
    Might be worth looking at.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 18, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Katz Eye makes focusing screens for a good number of cameras that shows 8x10 or 5x7 crop lines,
    so that if you shoot within those bounderies you keep all of your subject in the printed frame.
    Might be worth looking at.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, would it not serve me better to really LEARN it?? Just curious...
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    I think I figured out my own issue---I have to leave extra space so things aren't chopped off... right? Yes, I have a SmugMug Pro account and when clients order 8x10's, legs, arms, etc. are cut off. So, I think I just need to re-think my shooting. Like I said, please forgive my ignorance and thank for the help!

If your open minded, and willing to learn ignorance is only a temporary condition. Nothing to forgive, we are all ignorant of something. (or many things) :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion. However, would it not serve me better to really LEARN it?? Just curious...

Sure.....but if you are used to cropping in the cam then the crop lines do not hurt but only help to remind you where the boundaries are.......They are not crutches only reminders of your limitations.....

For years I shot a Square format cam.....crazy as it was I could never get a client interested in Sq images....so I had crop lines in my viewfinder for the quickest in cam cropping.....My lines were for 8x10 (portrait and landscape orientations) images out of those with a bit of loss I could get my 5x7 and 11x14......now I only deal with the 4x5 aspect ratio for portraits and weddings.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 18, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Sure.....but if you are used to cropping in the cam then the crop lines do not hurt but only help to remind you where the boundaries are.......They are not crutches only reminders of your limitations.....

For years I shot a Square format cam.....crazy as it was I could never get a client interested in Sq images....so I had crop lines in my viewfinder for the quickest in cam cropping.....My lines were for 8x10 (portrait and landscape orientations) images out of those with a bit of loss I could get my 5x7 and 11x14......now I only deal with the 4x5 aspect ratio for portraits and weddings.............

Makes sense... especially if I'm tied up in the throws of a shoot... Thanks again!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• Options
    edited July 18, 2010
    Makes sense... especially if I'm tied up in the throws of a shoot... Thanks again!

My pleasure.......anytime..

• Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Resize the image to 4x5 and print on 4x6 paper.... You get the correct aspect ratio with an inch of white on the end that acts as a 'handle'. It's cheap. It works.