Older Canon Rebel Question

mmiller6300mmiller6300 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited July 26, 2010 in Cameras
Hello
I am interested in buying a digital SLR, but since being laid off a few months ago the money isnt what I would like to have. I have been looking on sites such as Amazon etc, and have found some older Canon Rebels 6.3mp and are at a price that I can afford. Can anyone tell me if these are worth while and maybe provide some feedback about them (pros or cons) Thanks!!

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    I still shoot with a 400d (Xti i think). Lenses are much more important than the body. you can check my site to see what i make with the 400d. (see below)
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    have found some older Canon Rebels 6.3mp and are at a price that I can afford.
    J: Lots of great photos have been made with those more "Mature" cameras.

H: Could you say what price range you are looking at?

J&H
  • mmiller6300mmiller6300 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 17, 2010
    The ones that I have seen on Amazon start at around 250, I have seen some on Ebay that are around 200 (but not as a final bid). My thought is to get something around that price range that I can use for now, and then keep saving towards another newer one.
    edited July 17, 2010
    Chrissiebeez
    Those are some beautiful photos on your page!!!!!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 17, 2010
    Remember that the cost of a camera body is only a part of the total costs of ownership regarding a dSLR.

If you want a very current model dSLR and a couple of fairly nice consumer lenses, all at a very reasonable cost, Adorama has some refurbished model E-600 cameras with 2 lenses that would make a very nice basic consumer kit:

http://www.adorama.com/IOME600K1R.html

I would also add a 3 year warranty so that you gain some control over costs for that time period.

http://www.adorama.com/IMXW3Y39.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    I am still shooting with a D60 (came out in 2002 - is model right before the 10D). I haven't any idea if you would find one anywhere. I bought camera and grip used in 2005 for $600. Would surely be less now. It is also a 6.3mp but has the handling advantages of the xxD series; but the disadvantage of not being able to use unmodified EF-S lenes.

I started with a lens from 1988 (28-70 3.5-4.5) that I originally bought with a EOS 620 film camera back in '88 and doing a little with older M42 lenses via an adapter. Found 28 too wide some places on the crop camera and bought one of the original 18-55 EF-s lenses that had been adapted for the EF mount ($60 US). Will admit that I have since added a Tamron 17-50 2.8 but also just got a 70-210 F4 that the date code on appears to be from 1987! That 70-210 came with a UV filter and LLBean bag for $110 that included shipping. So. . . it doesn't have to be the most expensive to have FUN.
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    The ones that I have seen on Amazon start at around 250, I have seen some on Ebay that are around 200 (but not as a final bid). My thought is to get something around that price range that I can use for now, and then keep saving towards another newer one.
    J: Sounds like a good plan.

H: I have friends who still use that body.

J&H
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    I own a nice 7D but I still take my Rebel 350/XT out hiking and on bright sunny days where I don't need a massive SLR and massive 18-megapixel frames - in other words, when the advantages of the 7D don't mean as much. When the Rebel was my main camera, other friends - some with nicer cameras - asked why the color/sharpness on my pics looked better, and the reason was that I put a 24-105L lens on mine and they were still using the kit lens.

So I agree with the above. The Rebel is a great little camera and if you put a nice lens on it, it can serve you well.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010

Bout the least expensive thing I can think of in the Nikon Line up is the D70 and a 50mm f/1.8 lens = $350 at KEH~ Best in that Price range IMO~
    tom wise
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    tnx mmiller!

i really agree with everyone here: if on a budget try to go for the lenses rather then the body. A 50mm is a real bang for the bucks and be had for a 50-60 euro second hand. combine it with any digital body and you can get great shots. put an old manual 35mm on it in reverse (cost $10) and you have amazing macro :D

go for it! wings.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    I started with the 300D 6.3 MP, also called as Rebel in US, then to 5D. Both of them share the same battery.

The 300D started giving me battery problem. It could only take one shot with a fully charged battery. I took out the battery and used the same battery for the 5d, it can run 100 shots without losing a single bar. It happened to my 5 spare BP511 batteries. I gave up and parking the 300D in the deep corner in my dry cabinet.

Not sure whether the battery problem or the camera problem. Similar problem happened to my 8 years old Olympus C600 digcam.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited July 20, 2010
    Richy,
    I am in the US, and I have no problem at all with a used camera. Actually that is what I have been looking at, something used. I am on a pretty tight budget right now since being laid off, and decided that the way to go would be with an older used camera for now, and save for a newer one later. That way I can be able to get a DSLR now. As far as what do I plan to shoot....its pretty open. I enjoy alot of scenery, especially the beach, but have also started having an interest in people. I have done some portraits with a borrowed camera and enjoyed it alot. Now I am very excited to get one of my own.
    edited July 26, 2010
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the input. Also wanted to mention that I was able to find a pretty good deal on a Rebel XTI, and a Canon 35-80mm lens. I want to get another lens, but at least, now I have something to start with!!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 26, 2010
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the input. Also wanted to mention that I was able to find a pretty good deal on a Rebel XTI, and a Canon 35-80mm lens. I want to get another lens, but at least, now I have something to start with!!

Congratulation and good luck. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums