Recent Yosemite Trip

YosemYosem Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited July 18, 2010 in Landscapes
These Some images from a recent May trip to Yosemite where I tried taking advantage of the spring run off situation.

Clark's Point on the way to Nevada Falls

915384646_pLYU9-L.jpg

This was just downstream from Vernal Falls. Water would blast off of a small rock and shoot up about 10 feet or so. I thought This small tree in the foreground made for an interesting comparison between power and innocence in Yosemite.

926023092_PKSmX-L.jpg

This area near Nevada Falls exemplified the run off with additional smaller cascades of water coming down the granite walls.

929366824_LrgwN-L.jpg

Nevada Falls up close from a different angle then the usual Nevada trail

931523953_Wgvph-L.jpg

This rock took on the appearance of a whale or possibly even a seal as it raised out of a waterfalls mist.

931531312_9sFji-L.jpg

Lastly myself near the base of Nevada during run off enjoying the moment of just being there in all of its beauty.

938069066_pqvTe-L.jpg

Thats it for now I'll post some more as they come in. Yosemite is a hard place to leave when you visit. The wonders and beauty are near impossible to post in an image and I think that simply being there is the most enjoyable part. Thanks for viewing.
C and C is always welcome

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    I really like the last image you posted here -- the human element contemplating all of that nature in the composition you've offered is quite interesting. thumb.gif

Would be interesting to see a nice b/w conversion as there aren't a whole lot of tones here.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Here's where we get out of the "capture what's there" mode and into "set it up a little" mode:

The last pic would have been more dramatic had you not been talking on the radio, but stood with your hands in your pockets, turned 3/4 toward the water, with just the left side of your face showing on camera.

An alternative angle would have been to put the camera on a low tripod, say 18 inches off the ground, pointing up at a sharp angle, catching your back silhouetted against the falls, while you stood in that same position. Of course, this one would have also necessitated a protective cover for the camera to keep the spray off; it's definitely a splash zone out there!

Overall, it's a heck of a great set. #3 is my fave, followed by #4.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Looks great
    They're all really great but I like #3 the best. It is very different from normal waterfall shots. Looks like you're looking straight up!
    Thanks
    Larry
    Larry
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    I like the last one, just as it is. I agree that the inclusion of the human element can really make a shot stand out. I like the whole series but the last two are my favorites.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com