Options

Starting out on the side

JHarris1984JHarris1984 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited July 21, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
This may or may not be the right forum for this, however I was wondering if you had 3,000 dollars to start up a photography business what would you get?

Mainly portrait and photojournalistic photography. Possibly some real estate photography. Would need everything except a computer. Camera, flashes, lenses, software, etc. Obviously add on later with bigger and better but can starting out with 3k be done?

Jon

Comments

• Options
    OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Licenses, Lawyer, Accountant, Insurance. No Kidding aside, if you are going to be in business and already have a camera this is were you need to invest. If you have a wife, a house, kids in a litigation happy world your best investment is to protect yourself.
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    I agree with Chris. TO be more specific, I would get insurance from someone that specializes in photographers. Don't go to the same place that you get your car insurance, home insurance, etc..... I'm talking Hill & Usher.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    This may or may not be the right forum for this, however I was wondering if you had 3,000 dollars to start up a photography business what would you get?

Mainly portrait and photojournalistic photography. Possibly some real estate photography. Would need everything except a computer. Camera, flashes, lenses, software, etc. Obviously add on later with bigger and better but can starting out with 3k be done?

Firstly, why start yet another photographic Business?
    If the answer has ANYTHING to do with personal prefrance or choice and not purely because you have done your homework on what the most profitable business's are or you have found a Niche in the market you have come up with a product or service to fill, your getting into the game for exactly the WRONG reasons.

Have you researched the market in your area to determine the viability of another photo business? Have you done a business plan with projected costs and income so you can budget on setting the business up and worked out your profit losses for the first year and determined if you can live on that and what your hourly rate will be?

Secondly, Why Portrait and ( especially) photo journalistic photography?
    Who is your target market going to be, where to you intend promoting to reach that market, what do you intend to do that will fulfill a gap and or create a demand in that market not currently filled?

What experience in business and photography do you have that will allow you to make this venture successful and profitable?

You need to know exactly what you are going to do in the business and the USP of your services before you begin to think about equipment because if you don't, you can't possibly know what gear you will need for a start and all the gear in the world isn't worth Jack if you don't have a clear plan and direction with the business to begin with.

If you don't have a very clear plan of what you are going to do, then you are merely looking at getting into a hobby NOT a business.
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Why would someone who doesn't even have a camera, think they can start a "photography business"? Or even _why_ would they want to?
  • Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    orljustin wrote: »
    Why would someone who doesn't even have a camera, think they can start a "photography business"? Or even _why_ would they want to?

I was kinda wondering that myself ...
  • Options
    ChrisNChrisN Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Yes, it can be done with 3k. While this is all good advice on here I can see that it may sound very discouraging. I would first check out the book "Best Business Practices for Photographers" by John Harrington. It will give you a lot to think about before starting and a lot of good advice for running the business. Maybe you can avoid a lot of the stupid mistakes most of us have. Next I would narrow down what to focus on. If by real estate you mean working for realtors taking photos of home listings then I have heard most don't pay much at all. Photojournalism is also almost impossible to make a living at with the smaller publications but it can be great for making contacts in the community. There should be some money in portraits but you have have to make sure your photos and business skills are up to it and there is a lot of competition.

Starting out you can also think about doing events (Party Pics type), sports team and individual, etc. But to do any for under $3000 you will have to really focus. What you need for portraits as different than what you need for real estate, etc.

Also, if you are just looking at doing it thinking it will be easy money then you may want to look at another business because it is a tough and incredibly competitive business. Also, if you think that other photographers are overpriced and you can do it cheaper and win a ton of business you will find that those that seem incredibly high are usually priced just right to make a reasonable profit and you just can't compete in the low end because of chain store portrait studios in the portrait world, real estate agents with point and shoots, newspapers sending reporters with cameras and everyone else with a camera just giving pics away.
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    orljustin wrote: »

...the same reason many people choose a career before even getting to college or being trained in that field. The OP sounds to be highly interested in photography and is looking for input on how to do so. thumb.gif
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010

Yes! And I'll tell you how. Knowing someone trumps everything! It trumps skill, knowledge, and eq. For Instance if your wife's boss had a need and you could fulfill that need with the eq you already own, then you wouldn't even need to advertise, or buy other eq. after a bit, you could declare yourself a business and do all the other things already suggested here...but knowing someone, or fulfilling a need trumps all!
    tom wise
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    ...the same reason many people choose a career before even getting to college or being trained in that field. The OP sounds to be highly interested in photography and is looking for input on how to do so. thumb.gif

This is a valid point but I think the key part of it lies in the formal education and training to equip themselves to have a knowledge and skill in that career.

The OP's initial question would suggest to me that they don't in fact have the first clue of what they are asking about and that is a very poor position to start from which minimizes the chances of success and maximizes the chance of hardship.

I would encourage the OP to go and get themselves educated in photography and more importantly business before contemplating this venture. If they do that, then any questions they would need to ask would be a lot different and much more informed.
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Exactly. It's like "I've got $5000. What do I need to start a restaurant?"
  • Options
    JHarris1984JHarris1984 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Maybe I should rephrase or give a little more backdrop to my question. I recently got married and I sold my camera gear to help pay for the wedding costs. At the time I really didn't use it enough to validate keeping it. Now I'm having an itch to get another camera because there have been times that I have felt it would have been good to have it.

Basically what I am asking is I'll have 3k to get camera gear again. I don't want to waste money buying stuff I don't need. Ultimately I would like to do some extra work on the side of my real job. That is where the business on the side comes in to play. If I do manage to do enough paying jobs I'll definitely get insurance, etc. Right now my main concern was equipment, accessories, etc.

I had the following equipment before.

30D
    50 F1.8
    85 F1.8
    70-200 F4
    430EX

Asked here because you guys do have your own photography business's and you've learned through your own personal experiences what did and didn't work for you.

Thanks,
    Jon

Jon
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2010
    Maybe I should rephrase or give a little more backdrop to my question. I recently got married and I sold my camera gear to help pay for the wedding costs. At the time I really didn't use it enough to validate keeping it. Now I'm having an itch to get another camera because there have been times that I have felt it would have been good to have it.

Basically what I am asking is I'll have 3k to get camera gear again. I don't want to waste money buying stuff I don't need. Ultimately I would like to do some extra work on the side of my real job. That is where the business on the side comes in to play. If I do manage to do enough paying jobs I'll definitely get insurance, etc. Right now my main concern was equipment, accessories, etc.

I had the following equipment before.

30D
    50 F1.8
    85 F1.8
    70-200 F4
    430EX

Asked here because you guys do have your own photography business's and you've learned through your own personal experiences what did and didn't work for you.

Thanks,
    Jon

Congrats on the Nuptials! And using a commodity to help offset cost of your wedding versus going into debt.

You did mention three differing types of photography that you might do or have an interest in doing, which from a lens standpoint can make for much debate.

I own a Canon, but am not a regular Canon-o-phile, so I am not able to give specific argument on their gear.

But I would think a simple camera, lens and Flash or two is in order for your needs. We both know you could spend the 3k on a lens alone, so no need to pursue that route.

Is it too easy to suggest you get the best camera and lens you can afford and go from there? With the exception of Photo-journalism, you oughtn't need low ISO capabilities... and yet with Real estate you often need wide lenses....( thinking-out-loud )....

We're talking used here, right?

Canon 50D
    50mm 1.4
    17-40 f/4 L
    580 EXII
    Adobe LR3
    Adobe elements

Hows that?
    tom wise
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Tom has a pretty good list set up; For portraits you might need something longer, although with the 50mm on a crop body you can get a long way; For real estate/interior you might need something shorter than the 17-40 on a crop body, though. Depending on what you are going to do as far as processing, you may or may not need something like elements. If you want to save money, you can start with a free alternative like GIMP.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    I give my 2¢ worth here.....as good a body (2 bodies) as you can afford......+ Sigma 70-200f2.8 + either a Sigma 24-70f2.8 or the 17-70 f2.8-4......
    Should be able to get it all used and in excellent condition except maybe the 17-70......this is all great glass ahd should get you on track
    easily enuff to make some bucks to get the glass you really want.......with 2 bodies and 2 of the above lenses you'll never have to change lenses,
    just grab differnt cam and shoot.......also 8gb transcend cards at least 4.........A version of LR and Photoshop, whether Elements or full PS or spend time learning Gimp
    or something comparable...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 21, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    Tom has a pretty good list set up; For portraits you might need something longer, although with the 50mm on a crop body you can get a long way; For real estate/interior you might need something shorter than the 17-40 on a crop body, though. Depending on what you are going to do as far as processing, you may or may not need something like elements. If you want to save money, you can start with a free alternative like GIMP.

Thanks Ivar.

GIMP. GIMP is an open source Software that allows illustrative creation and Photographic enhancement.

I admit to having a soft spot in my heart for GIMP since it took me from zero to today. BUT....But if you think you might one day buy Photoshop and like to work within it's console, I suggest to forgo GIMP and go straight to Elements. The transition will be more fluid. Of course if you like learning new and different app's then GIMP is a Winner!

I now have Adobe Production Premium, but still have GIMP in my task bar, and use it fairly regularly!

On the LENS choices I gave. Real Estate and Interiors are two totally different entities in requirement, so clarification may be needed there.

Working within a crop consideration is difficult for me, even though I own one. I always tend to think/buy in FX.
    But for quality, portrait and PJ, I think I nailed it, all things considered.

Of course There is more than one way to make potato-salad, and more than one way to outfit a photographer too. So listen and read and enjoy~
    tom wise