A Quiet Peek Into A Balsam Fir Forest

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited July 20, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
938998502_z6xpb-XL.jpg

938998096_qzTbe-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    I think I just saw a wood elf run away!

Beautiful shots, Tom! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Nice photography Tom. We also love the quiet found in a forest like this.
    Have ya ever tried to go cross country in woods like this? Its not so
    quiet anymore. mwink.gif Stealth is nearly impossible.
    Michael
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

Beautiful scenes, so serene and the depth of color really
    says it all, what a Lush Wonderland!!

Very nicely done, once again!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Hey Lee,

Good thing I didn't know about wood elfs.... I might not have ventutred into this forest :D. Thanks for the kind words.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited July 18, 2010
    Yo Michael,

You're absolutely right about there being no stealthy trek when going through this kind of forest. I was actually way off the trail when I took these shots and the going was pretty darn rough and anything but quiet. Pretty, though.

Tom
    edited July 18, 2010
    Hi Craig,

Glad you liked the scenes. It's a shame that the photos don't pass along the almost overwhelming fragrance of the fir trees. This hike was on top of Mt. Mitchell, in NC. It's the highest peak east of the Mississippi at almost 6700 ft.

Take care,

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Nice shots Tom,

Fern's always look nice in the deep woods (I think those are ferns anyway) Gives a very tranquil feeling to the woods.
    Randy
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 19, 2010
    Very nice Tom. It's a hundred degrees here and they are tearing up the street in front of my apartment. All things considered, I think I'd rather be there.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Beautiful shot, Tom..... thumb.gif :Dgary
    edited July 19, 2010
    You're right, Randy. Those are ferns all over the place. They certainly do help create a sense of tranquility. As you can readily see, it would be difficult to traverse the terrain without wading through the stuff. I'm not real friendly with snakes and I kept expecting a Copperhead to latch on to me.

Take care,

Tom
    edited July 19, 2010
    Hey Richard,

It's great to hear from you. Not that it's any consolation to you, but it's hot everywhere. I saw some temps in the low nineties up in the Appalachians.....sort of unheard of. Thankfully, it was in the low sixties on top of the mountain when I was making this trek.

Be well,

Tom
    edited July 20, 2010
    Hey, Gary. Thanks for the nice comment.

Take it easy,

Tom