On the fence. d700 or d3s.

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited September 9, 2010 in Cameras
Hi there..

I am finding myself in need of the second body, and I want to make it a FF..
I currently shoot with d300s, and 70% of the time I spend at the concert venues, and need high ISO.. the ISO of 300 is not enough..

In next two months, I plan to make a purchase..

So, my question to you all is.. should I go for d700 (or see what is the replacement of it going to be) or just get me a d3s.

from what i've learned d3s is phenomenal in the high ISO.. and seeing as it is about 1500 difference.. while it is going to be a serious hit on my wallet, it may allow me to take another leap and get more work coming my way.

so. any input?
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 19, 2010
    The D3s is arguably the better of the 2 bodies in terms of absolute quality in high-ISO, AF speed, AF sensitivity and frame rate. The D700 is arguably the better value of the 2 cameras.

Both are capable of shooting in lower light than they can reliably autofocus.

Both benefit tremendously in low light from an external flash, especially one with an AF assist light.

The D3x also has better body seals and a more durable shutter and mirror assembly, making it the more durable camera of the 2 bodies.

Both are a significant improvement over the D300 (or any DX camera for that matter) in terms of low-light performance and low-light image quality.

The D3s has dual card slots and may be used to record duplicate image files, which is a tremendous comfort shooting once-in-a-lifetime events.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Foques wrote: »
    Hi there..

I am finding myself in need of the second body, and I want to make it a FF..
    I currently shoot with d300s, and 70% of the time I spend at the concert venues, and need high ISO.. the ISO of 300 is not enough..

In next two months, I plan to make a purchase..

So, my question to you all is.. should I go for d700 (or see what is the replacement of it going to be) or just get me a d3s.

from what i've learned d3s is phenomenal in the high ISO.. and seeing as it is about 1500 difference.. while it is going to be a serious hit on my wallet, it may allow me to take another leap and get more work coming my way.

so. any input?

From what I have seen The D3s has about 2 more usable stops of clean ISO. The D700 I don't hesitate to shoot at 3200 and can do 6400 cleanly as long as you expose correctly. The performance on the D3s at 12800 seems to be roughly equivalent to D700 at 3200.

If you can afford the D3s then get it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    From what I have seen The D3s has about 2 more usable stops of clean ISO. The D700 I don't hesitate to shoot at 3200 and can do 6400 cleanly as long as you expose correctly. The performance on the D3s at 12800 seems to be roughly equivalent to D700 at 3200.

Yup, a D3s and 70-200 F2.8 is a dream concert set up. The D700 is no slouch but I have had to go to 12,800 a few times in darker venues. These images are useful for the web but that is about it.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

690148782_XniEY-O.jpg

Even at this size you can see the banding on the bottom.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    woah..
    I usually shoot at 1600ish, and get somewhat decent results..

Thank you for the input. As I mentioned, I am going to wait a little, and then see if I can swing the d3s, then.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    If you can swing the D3s you will not be disappointed. It's ISO 6400 is like ISO 3200 on the D700 and ISO 12,800 can be really clean with decent light. It's an amazing camera! However the D700 is very close, and probably half the price. In the end they will both suits your needs but if you really need high ISO the D3s is the best camera for the job clearly.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »

I concur! Same camera, same experiences~

If you can afford it, do it!
    tom wise
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    I figured, i'd settle for 700 for now. and should it pay for itself, I will splurge on d3s

1001387538_gj4XN-L.jpg
    My Site
    My Facebook