Going to the beach how to take care of Camera.

98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited July 20, 2010 in Cameras
Hi

I have a Nikon D3000, a few lenses and my Sb600,

I am going to the beach thursday with my Family.

I have two different lenses that I will be bringing with me.
18-55MM
55-200MM

Is there a way to be absolutely certain that nothing gets in the camera while chaning lenses at the beach? I will be extremely careful about sand, but Im worried about the salt in the air.

Im not sure that I want to carry my whole case to the beach with both lenses... any input?
Nikon D3000
Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS

Comments

• ReeRayReeRay Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    I pretty much live on the beach here in Thailand and as crass as it sounds I never take any extra precautions when using my numerous cameras other than to turn my back against the wind.

I pack my cameras in a basic rucksack and ensure it is zipped tight

After 10 years I have yet to experience a problem.

I shoot a Contax G2, Leica M7, Panny GF-1, Rollei and Hasselblad MF and a Canon EOS 5D MK11

p.s. try not to drop anything in the sand though!
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I'd look into a weather sealed P&S for family outings at the beach. At very least, avoid lens changes. Or make the changes in your car.
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    when the wind picks up keep your back to it, ocean spray will cover your lens quick.
    Other than that, don't get it wet.
    That's it.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I would not take any lenses to the beach that have to changed onto a cam body.....
    Id I needed 2 lenses then I'd have to have them mounted to bodies prior to hitting the beach.....
    Or a stated above...change them in car.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    98olds wrote: »
    snip…
    Is there a way to be absolutely certain that nothing gets in the camera while chaning lenses at the beach? I will be extremely careful about sand, but Im worried about the salt in the air
    …snip
    In my experience, the only guaranteed way is to leave the camera at home.

If you really want to take pictures at the beach, either use a camera that you don't mind trashing‡ or get something which is water-proof…

HTH -

- Wil

‡ in a salt-air environment, just about anything will corrode (ask any sailor!)
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Te AmoTe Amo Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    You will be fine. I do most of my work on the beach, and change lenses on location. Use a little common sense, and you will be ok. You really don't need to take any extra precautions unless you're planning on being in, or directly next to the water with crashing waves.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    It seems that most of my photography is on the beach nowadays. If you have to change lenses, keep your back to the wind and the camera body facing down. Have the replacement lens ready to go on right away. More important is what you do after you leave the beach. Use a blower to remove sand from the camera body and the lenses. Do not wipe either until you do so or else you risk either scratching the lens or driving the sand deeper into hard to clean places.
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Another trick I do is to change the lens inside my jacket :)
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I would not take any lenses to the beach that have to changed onto a cam body.....
    Id I needed 2 lenses then I'd have to have them mounted to bodies prior to hitting the beach.....
    Or a stated above...change them in car.
    I agree that it is the best solution on the beach.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/