Options

Panoramas

Stephen!Stephen! Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited November 5, 2009 in Landscapes
I like taking several pictures of an area and stitching them together.

(If you are using IE 6 you might want to disable the setting to "Enable Atomatic Image Resizing" to fully appreciate these)

Here's one of my attempts. It is a 180° view from the base of an old Nike missle RADAR platform on the North Shore of Oahu:

pana.jpg
--
Si hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
http://imagesdesavions.com

Comments

• Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    Here's another from Oahu. The is the view looking West from the saddle of Kolekole pass.

The first one was the original stitch. The second is after I removed the powerlines.

kolekole1_untouched.jpg

kolekole.jpg
    --
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    Hey stephen! wave.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004

"Hey" to you too... Looks like I gotta find an avatar, eh?

eek7.gif
    --
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    Stephen! wrote:
    "Hey" to you too... Looks like I gotta find an avatar, eh?

eek7.gif
    nod.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    Here's a couple evening Pana's overlooking Waikiki and Honolulu.

The first is about 120° view and the second is about 180° view.

pan2.jpg

pan3.jpg
    --
  • Options
    Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2004
    I really like the panoramas, especilly the last one wiht the city lights. I have been trying more of them also. The biggest problem is viewing them on a small monitor. Here's one, Santa Barbara back country.
    1473418-O.jpg
    David
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2004
    I really like the panoramas, especilly the last one wiht the city lights. I have been trying more of them also. The biggest problem is viewing them on a small monitor. Here's one, Santa Barbara back country.

David
    Nicely done.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Nicely done.
    Thanks, would a UV filter have cleared some of the haze on the background mountains in this photo?

David
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2004
    Thanks, would a UV filter have cleared some of the haze on the background mountains in this photo?

David
    Probably but a polarizer would be more dramatic. IMHO
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2004
    David
    Sweet! What kind camera did you use to do this? Was it one of those new (to me) automagic panoramic digitals or did you do it manually and stitch it later?

As far as needing a bigger monitor, I think that's part of the appeal of a panoramic image... By scrolling it you actually get more of an appreciation for the width of the area. It's more like actually being there....
    --
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2004
    Stephen! wrote:
    Sweet! What kind camera did you use to do this? Was it one of those new (to me) automagic panoramic digitals or did you do it manually and stitch it later?

As far as needing a bigger monitor, I think that's part of the appeal of a panoramic image... By scrolling it you actually get more of an appreciation for the width of the area. It's more like actually being there....
    Canon A80 and I just did them manualy and stiched them with the software that comes from Canon, ZoomBrowser EX. It works well. I find I have better luck when there are clouds in the sky. When the sky is all blue I have been getting the overlap lines showing.
    Here is another that I just did today.
    2081239-O.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2004
    Canon A80 and I just did them manualy and stiched them with the software that comes from Canon, ZoomBrowser EX. It works well. I find I have better luck when there are clouds in the sky. When the sky is all blue I have been getting the overlap lines showing.
    Here is another that I just did today.
    Not bad a'tall... I think you'll go a long way to getting rid of those lines by locking the exposure, if you can... that way an abundance of bright objects in one frame won't cause you to darken the sky for that shot... the sky is exposed at the same level all the way across and you don't have a sudden jump. It works more evenly when you have clouds because the clouds are likely having the greatest effect on your auto-exposure...
    --
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 21, 2004
    I think you have too much time on your hands :)

Every one of those shots are gorgeous.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2004
    Stephen! wrote:
    Not bad a'tall... I think you'll go a long way to getting rid of those lines by locking the exposure, if you can... that way an abundance of bright objects in one frame won't cause you to darken the sky for that shot... the sky is exposed at the same level all the way across and you don't have a sudden jump. It works more evenly when you have clouds because the clouds are likely having the greatest effect on your auto-exposure...
    Thanks, Stephen. I can lock the exposure but that shot was just a recon mission on my lunch break to see if I could get the shot from there. I was barely out of the truck long enough to shoot 5 frames and then run. The sun wasn't where I want it either. No shadows on the mountains.

David
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I think you have too much time on your hands :)

Every one of those shots are gorgeous.

Ian
    Thank ya kindly... :D
    --
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    I was barely out of the truck long enough to shoot 5 frames and then run. The sun wasn't where I want it either. No shadows on the mountains.
    Hehe... It seems some of my best shots have involved the least amount of planning... Sometimes I over do the planning and end up with crappy results. My panorama of Red Mountain is a perfect example of that... I spent a long time composing that and making sure I had the whole sweep covered... It turned out pretty bad...
    --
  • Options
    ArgusphotoArgusphoto Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Probably but a polarizer would be more dramatic. IMHO
    You are welcome to try but a polarizer will change the color of the sky in each frame so that it will be virtually impossible to stitch. I have tried.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    This Pano is about 6 frames put together with PhotoShop (no stitching program). There is less than 10% overlap. I have made enlargements up to 14X84 inches.

3191246-O.jpg

The best and least expensive place to get Panos printed is:
    www.bigphoto.com
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    This is a re-shoot of a place that I found several weeks ago. The clouds could have been better, but what can ya do???

3146562-L.jpg
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    Very very nice panoramas. I have made quite a few of these myself. (All are linked to full sized verstions).
    Dusk, Alta, UT

Dusk, Nantucket, MA
    Dawn, Nantuckt, MA

After doing this for a while, I tried some less conventional panorama subjects:

2788378-O.jpg
    Union Street, Nantucket, MA

2788366-O.jpg
    Congretional Church, Nantucket, MA
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    This is a re-shoot of a place that I found several weeks ago. The clouds could have been better, but what can ya do???
    There is a photoshop plugin that creates clouds. I have it on my computer at home, unfortunately, one does have to work occasionally.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2004
    Stephen! wrote:
    I have Canon A60 & G5. Both lock the exposure when you put them in Pano mode. I usually take the first shot on the center of interest to set the exposure and then delete that one before stitching. The great thing about these camera is that you can pan L to R or R to L or even vertically.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 31, 2004
    cletus wrote:

3146562-L.jpg
    I might burn in the sky a little, Cletus, but I think nice cumulous clouds would detract from the quiet simplicity of the scene - just my opinion - but I like it pretty much the way it is. The little tree on the left is a nice kind of grace note too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I might burn in the sky a little, Cletus, but I think nice cumulous clouds would detract from the quiet simplicity of the scene - just my opinion - but I like it pretty much the way it is. The little tree on the left is a nice kind of grace note too.
    I agree. The same forces that made B&W a good choice also make a simple sky work.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    Taken last month about 20 miles behind Surfers Paradise. Waiting for some breeze.

2308363-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2004
    Birmingham at night
    This one is slightly unusual because the camera was aimed down about 10 degrees. Much harder to put together than when the camera is level.

2842755-O.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004
    Argusphoto wrote:
    This one is slightly unusual because the camera was aimed down about 10 degrees. Much harder to put together than when the camera is level.

2842755-O.jpg
    I've done this with Panavue and it isn't very hard. You have to make a "custom lens", but hat process is semiautomated and not too painful.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I've done this with Panavue and it isn't very hard. You have to make a "custom lens", but hat process is semiautomated and not too painful.
    I'm glad there is a program that makes it easy. I don't have panavue.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2004
    Cletus...that shot of the shack in the paddock is one of the best i have seen in ages.

Bloody brillient mate thumb.gif
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Cletus...that shot of the shack in the paddock is one of the best i have seen in ages.

Bloody brillient mate thumb.gif
    Thanks Mr. RotWL!!!!

My uncle (who is a lot more serious about photography than I am) was in town this past weekend. We made a 3+ hour drive to go shoot that particular house! We shot a bunch of other stuff on the trip so it wasn't like we drove 3 hours shot a dozen pictures and then drove home.