Which A3 Printer

ReeRayReeRay Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited July 20, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
The last printer I had some 10 years back was an Epson 1290 which although produced some great prints was dreadfully expensive on ink and utterly unreliable. In the end I gave up printing.

The circle has turned and now I'm looking to buy a pro quality A3 printer (6 ink I guess?) and would appreciate user feedback.

Ink replacement is tricky where I live and I'd really like to hear of an economical printer if such a beast exists.

Reliability and Imac OS x !0.5.8. friendly is also essential.

Thanks guys/gals

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 19, 2010
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear where we generally discuss printers.

What other qualities are you looking for in a printer?

I see that you want a "pro-quality" inkjet, that is easy on ink and Mac 10.5.8 drivers. Is a "straight through" aper path important?

Paper sizes and paper weights? (I know you said A3/ledger paper size but how about postcard and snapshot sizes, for instance? Is card stock handling a possible requirement? Envelops?)

Ink durability and waterfast? Chrome/metallic ink? Large capacity ink?

Monthly duty cycle?

The more you can describe your needs/requirements, the better we can recommend.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ReeRayReeRay Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Cor, that's a lot of questions, and mostly way over my head ne_nau.gif

Seriously, thanks for the response. Seems I've let myself in for a lot more than I realised.

But here goes.

My requirements are merely to print on Olmec Glossy 360gr (which I have a lot of) and A4-A3 to frame and hang at home. I have no intention of sales. Conversely, I shoot mainly Film B+W in 35mm and 120 if this is a factor although I do not have an enlarger - hence digital printing.

Not familiar with the following:-

"straight through aper path" - "Ink durability and waterfast Chrome/metallic ink Large capacity ink"

Seems a lot has changed in 10 years :D

Hope this helps and thanks in advance
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 19, 2010
    ReeRay wrote: »
    Cor, that's a lot of questions, and mostly way over my head ne_nau.gif

Seriously, thanks for the response. Seems I've let myself in for a lot more than I realised.

But here goes.

My requirements are merely to print on Olmec Glossy 360gr (which I have a lot of) and A4-A3 to frame and hang at home. I have no intention of sales. Conversely, I shoot mainly Film B+W in 35mm and 120 if this is a factor although I do not have an enlarger - hence digital printing.

That's fine. You are looking for a personal, low volume, ledger sized injet printer.
    ReeRay wrote: »
    ... Not familiar with the following:-

"straight through aper path" - "Ink durability and waterfast Chrome/metallic ink Large capacity ink"

Seems a lot has changed in 10 years :D

Hope this helps and thanks in advance

Sorry, that was supposed to be "straight through paper path". For some types of printing, like heavy stock, labels, etc., it's important to have a printer that does not have a curved paper path. Labels, in particular, are much more reliable to feed if you have a straight through paper path.

Some inks are more resistant to moisture than other inks. If the prints are not going to be exposed they are not going to be as vulnerable to the problems of moisture. Some inks may smudge from just the moisture in your hands.

"Chrome" and "metallic" inks tend to be "very" durable and will not fade quickly even in direct sunlight. These inks do tend to be pricey, but some printers are more judicious and cost effective than others.

"Large capacity" ink reservoirs are typically used in higher-volume printers, but the systems tend to be expensive on the purchase side (although cheaper in large volumes).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 19, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy

That's very clear and makes sense. Certainly news to me after 10 years.

So, Epson/Canon/HP?

Any opinions?

Thanks
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Might want to check out epson R1400 if you can find in Thialand.....in the US at OfficeMax it sells for about $299.99
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 20, 2010
    Thanks Art

Checking the R1400 it seems to be exactly to my needs.

It is available over here also

Much appreciated