Options

Need adivce on shooting food (steak to be exact)

lmyamenlmyamen Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited July 23, 2010 in Technique
OK so i am shooting for a local restaurant this wed. They are making recipe cards and need shots of 3 different steak dishes. Im shooting with my sigma 70-200 f2.8 on my 40D with a 580EXII flash. I am new to food shooting, do you have any advice or tips? I did have someone say i should use a water spray bottle and give the food a quick spray before the pictures... Is that a good idea? I practiced shooting pizza this weekend really quick before we ate, i shot a f/2.8 which i am thinking is to much for these shots and i need more than just a small strip of focus. Any setting tips for shooting food, i am thinking maybe shoot at f/4? Here is my practice shots (no flash, hand held) Im thinking there is to much bokeh in these.

4802690727_bb722d82b8.jpg
4803318830_dfdc30f89d.jpg
4803313032_95f068f714.jpg
4803317078_9f7197702c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    In food shots I want the food in good focus or at least enuff of it so the client
    (not the restaurant but the restaurants clients) get a very good idea of what
    the dish is......I normally set up a shooting box so that I can get even light from 3 lights....
    I use a top light and 2 side lights from the frot and slightly to the side.....making for
    very even light.........

With a single flash then shoot it as a portrait but have a reflector to the side
    opposite the flash for fill and to kill shadows.......my normal aperture range is
    from 5.6 to 16 depending on subject and background........if using white or bright
    colored paltes for the dishes use a dark or black backdrop......if dark colored
    dishes then use a white backdrop.....something you can easily control and that dof
    won't matter that much on..................

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    There's a really good book out there that I leafed through in my local library - I can't remember the name or author (sorry) but have a google around - it's ENTIRELY about preparing food for photos, and the tricks that food stylists use. Very few magazine/cookbook foodshots are of "just" the real food - there are all sorts of props under them to make them the right shape, they use colour enhancers etc etc etc. Don't be afraid to "cheat" - it's the norm, I gather.

One other thing I read elsewhere is that generally food looks more appetizing when it's glistening (so a steak will look juicier if you brush some oil over it so it looks moist) and warm WB's tend to enhance our perception of palatability.

ETA: here's the book in question It's an enlightening read!
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    There are a few books out there, and stock photographer + author Nicole Young has a details on her food shots on her blog. She just guest wrote a post on photofocus on this subject. Also, blogs of people who cook is a good place to do research like the cooking section of the pioneer woman, the wonderful smug chef, or even photos from the various food p0rn sites.

In general, good food photography (all photography in general) is about quality of light + control of light and use of angles. For food photography, styling is key and the use of props may be helpful to make it more appetizing.

For your sample photos, the white balance and color are off. The food doesn't looking appealing and in the case of the pizza, I didn't even know what it is. I think it's a successful food photo when you want to eat the subject.

Sometimes, DOF works in your favor: -- freshly cut lemon bars on a shortbread crust
    368946098_nStZE-L.jpg

Or finding an uncluttered background and simple plating -- i think a black raspberry crumple sitting a place on top of my stove
    600644620_WUoYt-XL.jpg

Details sometime work in your favor -- peanut butter cup brownies on a white plate
    368946362_p6rKD-L.jpg

Note: those images were quick snapshots from my tiny ugly kitchen and were taken with whatever camera I had close which ranges from a three year old Sony P&S to maybe 1d body. In general, it doesn't really matter as long as you pay attention to the light, background and styling.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2010
    ok cool, thanks for the info guys. Here are a few more shots i just took from random things in my fridge haha.

4810340012_77a32606d9.jpg

4809716751_e6f0efe1bf.jpg

4809716825_7a117f8902.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Food looks kinda dead.....this is where a spray bottle of olive oil, cooking oil or water comes in......
    or in a pinch a paint brush with oil to make the food sparkle.......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 20, 2010
    Ok, i will try that tomorrow. I am doing the shoot for 3 different steaks tomorrow and will make sure i bring along a spray bottle.
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    how did the food shoot end up? This thread, especially the desserts is making me hungry!
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    how did the food shoot end up? This thread, especially the desserts is making me hungry!

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1426294
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)