Have I lost my mind?

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited August 13, 2010 in Cameras
I'm not a professional, nor do I ever intend or pretend to be. But I can't get a full-frame body out of my head. I've gone from the D40x to the D90 for a variety of feature/function reasons, but am looking at the D700 now if only for the 51 focus points, better ISO capabilities and that full frame view. :doh

My kit so far is:
Nikon D90 body
Sigma 10-20 f/4
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF
Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro
Nikon 18-200 VR-I
SB900

I've saved the coin for the D700 and will most probably sell the D90, 18-200 and 10-20 as they are all crop sensor and purchase a 50mm f/1.4 and the 24-70VRII f/2.8 for starters, with the 70-200VRII down the road.

Have I lost it?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 19, 2010
    Welcome to the club thumb.gif (... of seriously addicted photographers and their equipment compulsions.)

The Nikon D700 is a pretty fantastic camera by almost any measure.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Re: Have I lost my mind?
    You've got a good case of NAS...Nikon Acquisition Syndrome.

More power to ya!

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    M38A1 wrote: »
    I'm not a professional, nor do I ever intend or pretend to be. But I can't get a full-frame body out of my head. I've gone from the D40x to the D90 for a variety of feature/function reasons, but am looking at the D700 now if only for the 51 focus points, better ISO capabilities and that full frame view. 11doh.gif

My kit so far is:
    Nikon D90 body
    Sigma 10-20 f/4
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF
    Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro
    Nikon 18-200 VR-I
    SB900

I've saved the coin for the D700 and will most probably sell the D90, 18-200 and 10-20 as they are all crop sensor and purchase a 50mm f/1.4 and the 24-70VRII f/2.8 for starters, with the 70-200VRII down the road.

Have I lost it?

What specifically are you shooting? How often do you hit a wall due to AF or ISO?

The D90 is a great camera and if I had to go down to one camera (:cry just at the thought of that so I feel your gear lust lol3.gif) it could do most things, so unless you have a specific style or subject that requires the faster camera more lenses might be a better move, say 2.8 lenses, I would check out third party as well Sigma and Tamron have some surprising lenses.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    The FF bug can be infectious -- and will eat holes in your wallet! :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    I'm not a professional, nor do I ever intend or pretend to be. But I can't get a full-frame body out of my head. I've gone from the D40x to the D90 for a variety of feature/function reasons, but am looking at the D700 now if only for the 51 focus points, better ISO capabilities and that full frame view. 11doh.gif

My kit so far is:
    Nikon D90 body
    Sigma 10-20 f/4
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF
    Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro
    Nikon 18-200 VR-I
    SB900

Have I lost it?

yup! though I don't think there is a 24-70mm vr2..or vr1 for that matter!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    What specifically are you shooting? How often do you hit a wall due to AF or ISO?

The D90 is a great camera and if I had to go down to one camera (:cry just at the thought of that so I feel your gear lust lol3.gif) it could do most things, so unless you have a specific style or subject that requires the faster camera more lenses might be a better move, say 2.8 lenses, I would check out third party as well Sigma and Tamron have some surprising lenses.

I've given that quite some thought and still don't have all the answers. If I go look at what I shoot, or what I enjoy shooting, it basically falls into a couple categories to include candid people, historic military vehicles in parades/airshows, airshows, food/cookouts and wildlife (deer/birds) So in some respects, I'm all over the board. Evening shots for wildlife become a challenge as the best opportunities are very early in the morning or the last hour or so of sun, so ISO is a definite plus to figure in. I was limited by the three focus points on the D40x, and I find myself wanting more than the D90 offers when framing people shots, so I think that's a real item.

As for the lens route, I suppose I could purchase the 24-70 and 70-200 for the D90 and see how the results are. Since I'd most probably purchase them in the first place if I go FF, then why not try them out on the crop body? Good point..... But I just WANT the FF for some odd reason. Heck, take a look at some of my galleries in the sig-line and let me know. I DO see some lackluster sharpness that comes out of the 18-200. Maybe that's what's also bugging me.....

Qarik wrote: »
    yup! though I don't think there is a 24-70mm vr2..or vr1 for that matter!

You got me on that one... thumb.gif But I think you know what I was trying to get across..... :D

So....... 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 for the D90, or go FF out of the box?

Yes indeed, I've lost my mind. lol......

Help!

• rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    I think you're going to see more results out of better lenses to start. Especially by replacing that 18-200! (The more zoom, the worse the image quality, and you don't get much higher than the 11x of that lens) The 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 are both excellent choices. For wildlife, I'm guessing you must have been using the 18-200, which means f/5.6 on the long end. Two stops of light in your lens, in addition to the increased IQ will be a world of difference.

Either way, it's a good starting point, and if you still find something missing and want the FF sensor, you've got the better glass to go with it. thumb.gif
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    that full frame view. 11doh.gif

Have I lost it?

That Full frame view...as in the view from an older 35mm film cam....That was the chief thing I noticed within five minutes of opening the box...

The VIEW was Back!
    tom wise
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    I'm going through the exercise of shedding all my DX lenses too. I have a D300 and a D700. I'm starting to think of my D300 as a 1.5x teleconverter. Buying the D700 was the most expensive exercise in budget creep I've ever experiencedeek7.gif.

Absolutely, keep your D90! For the money, you'll never have a better body. And you WILL see better images from it with your nice new glass. Wait a bit, cause you KNOW they'll come out with a D700s or D800 as soon as you buy the D700.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Oh, one more thing. Even if they DO eventually come out with VR for the 24-70, who cares. Get a monopod. Cheepah!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • ChiShutterChiShutter Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    You may prefer the DX "reach" for wildlife... just a thought. I am quietly, patiently plotting my D700 jump. It involves saving up twice as much money as I need so I can bring home a nice new Louis Vuitton bag for my wife at the same time. I figure it's my only hope of survival... :D
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I think it's quite simple ~ You've said the Magic words "I Want It"...

You know it's a done deal, just get the darn thing and be happy thumb.gif

Doesn't matter a bit if you need it or not ~ now that you've uttered the magic words...

Life's to short to stress over stuff like this. It's just money; you can make more, right?
    Randy
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Read This, then the follow-up. :)
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    you could also put your money into a nice trip and get some amazing photo's with the gear you have mwink.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
    edited July 20, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Absolutely, keep your D90! For the money, you'll never have a better body. And you WILL see better images from it with your nice new glass.

Yes, I believe you speak of the voice of logic and reason, which doesn't sound very fun right now, but from a realistic perspective, probably the wise route. So taking that approach, would these be the two lenses of choice, that SHOULD/WHEN I move to the FF/700 would be ideal?

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Autofocus Lens (Black)

B&H # NI247028GAFS/Mfr # 2164

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens

B&H # NI7020028 / Mfr # 2185

Wow, I can identify with that fairly well. Started in the mid-70's with a PENTAX Spotmatic F and PENTAX 50mm f/1.4 film setup, then migrated to a couple of the Nikons (EM body and MD-E motor drive and a Nikon N2020 of which I still have both) which were full frame, thus the reason of my post. lol.... Then to a little Fuji FinePix to dip my toes in digital, to the Nikon S7c P&S, then a D40x, and now the D90. With the D700 on the radar, I might skip a step or two! lol.....

you could also put your money into a nice trip and get some amazing photo's with the gear you have mwink.gif

Another great idea! Yet I think by replacing the 18-200VR with a 24-70 f/2.8, the majority of my shots will fall in that range on the crop body but I'll have some quality increases (I hope!)

edited August 5, 2010
    Little update....

Today the Big Brown Truck arrived with Nikon's 24-70 f/2.8.wings.gif

I'm thinking next will be Nikon's 70-200 f/2.8 and run with that combination on the D90 for a while.

Thanks for all the input and ideas!

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 5, 2010
    Congratulations on the 2 new lenses. Should be a winning combination. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 5, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the 2 new lenses. Should be a winning combination. clap.gif

Oh I wish..... Just the 24-70 has made it to the front door. The 70-200 moved up a notch on the old wish list and is sitting in the next purchase category.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Oh I wish..... Just the 24-70 has made it to the front door. The 70-200 moved up a notch on the old wish list and is sitting in the next purchase category.

Great! That's the route I went, FX glass first, then once I'd done that, I got the FX sensor. Can't wait to hear how you like the 24-70
  • kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010

Haha I love the first article. I think it's a situation which the photographer in all of us can relate to and have gone through to some degree. clap.gif

I have a D5000 right now, and I'm oogling over a D700, and my friends are pushing me to go FF, but I don't have the money to buy FF gear, so I'm thinking I should just upgrade to a D300s, etc etc, I think I'm up to Step 8 or so, hahahaha.
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    kevinpw wrote: »

I have a D5000 right now, and I'm oogling over a D700, and my friends are pushing me to go FF

I don't understand why some people regard FF as the ultimate thing. Do your friends know your needs, your type of photography, viewing only from notebook or priniting to A1 size, etc etc.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    david-low wrote: »
    I don't understand why some people regard FF as the ultimate thing. Do your friends know your needs, your type of photography, viewing only from notebook or priniting to A1 size, etc etc.

I don't get the whole FF thingy either. :) The OP is making a wise move by improving his lenses though. Far bigger impact to the photography than FF will be. And moving to 2.8 lenses over that 5.6 lens is worth 4 stops of ISO to boot!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »
    I don't get the whole FF thingy either. :) The OP is making a wise move by improving his lenses though. Far bigger impact to the photography than FF will be. And moving to 2.8 lenses over that 5.6 lens is worth 4 stops of ISO to boot!

I think lenses are the way to go first.

FF isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I felt a very real desire to go FF and so I went. But DX is not necessarily inferior. I plan to carry both an FX and a DX body around when I'm out and about on a photo walk!
  • Ray FRay F Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    agreed on the lenses. They will have a bigger impact on your image quality than a D700. That said you'l love it. i'm just an amateur too and i love my D700 :D But i'm also blessed with some nice lenses. So i'd say: go for it...

Now i'm wondering: where can i buy talent???
    Raymond

My site
  • SunstruckSunstruck Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    I have both a D90 and a D700. I am thinking of upgrading my D90 to a D300s ( or it's replacement) but I cannot see the day I won't have both a DX and an FX body. Each has it's uses. I use the D700 for landscapes and portraits, the D90 for wildlife. Having the 1.5 crop factor with the DX body is handy when you are talking in the 400-600 mm range.

I can't understand the push to go FF either. To each his (or her) own. Now, if they came out with a good high ISO DX body, that would be wonderful!

Pj