Options

Kolob, Zion NP

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited July 20, 2010 in Landscapes
Since it was 113 degrees yesterday I felt like working on a cold image from our past winter season...

Let me know your thoughts?

940077247_RKM3J-XL.jpg
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• Options
    Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    clap.gif I wouldn't mind some of that cold weather right now. Beautiful shot!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 19, 2010
    Nicely rendered! clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited July 19, 2010
    I hate you Aaron lol3.gif

Winter is such a great time to shoot that particular location. I love the red rocks and snow. Nicely done.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    thumb.gif

hey man that is pretty nice!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Everything about that shot is awesome! Well, I'd probably clone out the small fence in the lower left, but otherwise, very very cool. My next trip to the SW will probably be in winter, if I can get conditions like this I would be thrilled. Red sandstone + white snow = awesome.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Oh I can feel a welcome chill! I think the colors are gorgeous. Snow, red rock and clouds...got it all!
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    I hate you Aaron lol3.gif

Winter is such a great time to shoot that particular location. I love the red rocks and snow. Nicely done.

lol3.gif ya when I was on FB I felt the same about you and all those biking trips!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2010
    thanks for the kind words everyone....!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    Everything about that shot is awesome! Well, I'd probably clone out the small fence in the lower left, but otherwise, very very cool. My next trip to the SW will probably be in winter, if I can get conditions like this I would be thrilled. Red sandstone + white snow = awesome.

I will be honest and say snow & red rock is hard to come by... Even harder to get good light with a storm, and even harder to get a storm like that only in the BG... to say the least this was a once a year event for Kolob...IMO
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Great, great great....

Love the contrast between the snow and red rock.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Now THIS is a unique shot of a familiar place. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Since it was 113 degrees yesterday I felt like working on a cold image from our past winter season...

Let me know your thoughts?

Wow, that is beautiful! We went through there in June, and it was spectacular. I really prefer the snow, though. My only nitpick would be that you have some blown highlights in the clouds. Perhaps a bit of recovery or shadows and highlights to pull them down some. Tough, tough, without creating a "baked" effect. ;-)

Great shot!
    James
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I will be honest and say snow & red rock is hard to come by... Even harder to get good light with a storm, and even harder to get a storm like that only in the BG... to say the least this was a once a year event for Kolob...IMO

Just give me 24 hours notice, it's only a 17 hour drive from Seattle to Springdale :)

I was thinking more like Bryce Canyon which is at a higher elevation, or Grand Canyon (not sandstone so much but an iconic southwest landscape with snow in winter).
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2010
    Thanks All!

Let me know what you think about this: When I checked my white point on the original there was very little blown HL in the clouds, moreso many specks in the snow on the peaks... When I view at 100% it looks like there is some detail in the lightest points in the clouds, even the ones on the far left that look very bright.... I hope I'm not wrong in how I bring the image to Dgrin or smugmug but it does appear like the highlights are gone in this size displayed in this post....
    Anyway, I will figure it out one of these days.... Thanks for your C&C I feel its very important!

Ron, Time to buy that jet, Bryce has an airport! :D, but really it is a easy place to watch for big storms coming through and hurry to get on location... the snow will stay really nice for a few days after a big storm. Ive had good luck with new snow around new years time...
    As for Kolob.... Well thats a tuff one, first of all the NP always closes the road in for a week after a storm and you have to snowshoe in (which IS an adventure in itself)... or you can just drive out west and shoot with 300mm like I did in this shot...
    Aaron Nelson