Old Barn...

Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
edited July 20, 2010 in Landscapes
...in the filtered light of the sun just breaking through the clouds after a storm passes.

940212206_bDMFD-X2.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Beautiful. clap.gif

Thanks, Dan. :D

I was wondering:

Why are barns usually painted red?
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Beautiful image Ric.

I'll give you the Cliff Clavin answer to your red barn question. In the 1800s farmers would paint their barns with linseed oil to help protect and seal the wood and would often add ferrous oxide to the oil as a means of killing any molds and fungi in the wood. The mixture of the oil and ferrous oxide made a red colored "paint".
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    It looks like I'm peeking through the cornstalks! Nice, classic pic of a barn! And an interesting story on why barns are red.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Very appealing shot. All of the elements.....subject, composition, exposure, etc.....come together well.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited July 20, 2010
    grimace wrote: »
    Beautiful image Ric.

Thanks, Adam. :D

According to the article I referenced in my reply to Dan...sometimes the more affluent farmers would mix blood with the oil. Seems like anything you want to know is a Google away!
    edited July 20, 2010
    Eia wrote: »
    It looks like I'm peeking through the cornstalks! Nice, classic pic of a barn! And an interesting story on why barns are red.

Thanks very much, Eia! :D
    edited July 20, 2010
    Very appealing shot. All of the elements.....subject, composition, exposure, etc.....come together well.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. :D

If it had not have been for the storm I would have never got this shot. I was shooting birds along the Mississippi River in Wisconsin and got disgusted with the lack of light so I drove inland looking for a scene like this.