"Emergency" purchase

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited July 22, 2010 in Cameras
Well, perhaps "emergency" is stating it a little strongly, but I'm on the road and finding I need a smaller camera than the dSLR - I'm simply not taking pictures because I can't lug the bigger camera to rehearsals with me at the moment and didn't bring the pns I have (which I hate anyway - Canon 750SD which was a disappointment from the outset and I avoid using whenever possible).

So, am considering picking up (yet another) point and shoot. In a perfect world, I want an S90, but I really can't justify spending quite that much and I need one now, not in a couple of months when the price drops further. However, I can find good deals right now on:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1
Canon SX120is.

Neither shoot raw, but the Canon does have a manual mode (how valuable is that on this type of pns?); it also uses AA batteries which is useful when travelling. The Lumix has that great lens, however, and is actually a tad cheaper - given how positive everybody here is about the Lumix series, that seems tempting on the face of it, even without a manual mode.

Thoughts? Either of them any good (or horrible)? Will it make me crazy to have no manual control if I get the Lumix? Is this Canon better (better lens, less shutter lag, less unpredictable) than the Elph that I have and hate? I"ve read reviews of course, but always trust the views of the dgrin community even more....

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    even with M mode I was never happy with a p&s...

Maybe its me, but lugging a DSLR around is no more intrusive in my wondering than a P&S....
    (well pending if you just bring the one lens attached)
    Aaron Nelson
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    even with M mode I was never happy with a p&s...

Maybe its me, but lugging a DSLR around is no more intrusive in my wondering than a P&S....
    (well pending if you just bring the one lens attached)

It is when you're riding a bike everywhere, don't have a suitable bag, and can't really intrude on rehearsal proceedings with a biga** dslr :D I think I'd rather spend $150 on a pns than $100 on a new bag rolleyes1.gif It's just not practical to carry it here when I only want to take casual and snapshots (it's fine when I'm intending to go out shooting "for real", when I'm very happy to have all my gear). But since it's making me sad that I'm not shooting enough, I'm considering picking up another pns... Family can use it as well, so if it's not too expensive, it'll be useful all round.

You had a G-series, right Aaron?
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    It sounds like the low light capability is going to be the most important consideration.

I do have a Lumix LX-3 (approx $400) that I stick in my pocket, even when carrying my DSLR. And I confess that I never use the M mode -- it is a true PNS for me and I actually am relieved to shoot JPeg (even though it has RAW capability -- I did not want to learn a new software for it). Selling points for me on this camera were the 24 mm wide (many were 28) and the f/2.0. Batteries, etc. really are nonfactors. So decide truly which features match your shooting needs to make your decision.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Ironically my one and only dss round win was with a p&s so I shouldn't be diss'n a p&s:D(SD880) (which I still use alot for simple snapshots of the family)(one of these days I will get that 85mm 1.2 for family snapshots:D)(ok in the next life I mean)
    I did use a G10 and I didnt find the M mode all that great. I did like having RAW files but then it became super super slow response time when shooting RAW, so so aggravating.

Thats why I'm trying to suggest that you strap that DSLR around you with one lens attached and forget the p&s...
    Aaron Nelson
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Divamum-

I am really happy with my Canon S950 but I know that might be a chunk more than you want to spend. I will say that I have found two things in my previous hunt for a P&S. 1) Office Supply places often have discounted last year's models. 2) I like having the same brand of P&S and DSLR as the characteristics are very similar.

Good luck.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited July 20, 2010
    Aaron, I hear what you're saying - and that's what I had planned to do and why I didn't bring a pns - but it's just not working out like I had expected. And I want some pictures!! :D If I had a decent phone camera I'd just use that, but I can't replace my phone till October due to a contract, so that option's out too.

Low light not a big deal for this situation - I've yet to see a PNS which can deal with high iso's, so not too worried on that score; if I want high ISO, I'll take the slr. Sharp images and reasonable responsiveness are the most important thing for me in a pns - that's what I hate most about the SD750 - it's never been sharp (my prior Canon psn, a lowly A75 was heaps better on that score. I loved that camera, to be honest).

Sounds like the Lumix might do the job quite nicely, especially since its' small and very affordable - the reviews are consistently good (much better than the Canon) and it's a silly price for a 12x zoom with a lens as well-rated as the Panasonic line.

ETA: Brad, that's exactly why I've stuck with Canon pns, but the last one disappointed me so much I'm a bit reluctant...
  • 98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I use a nikon D3000 All the time,

But I also have a Canon Powershot SX100IS Since upgraded with a new model number - Lvoe that camera, still use it constantly takes phenomenal photos, not quite small enough to stick in a pocket, but certainly easy enough to carry around.

I also have a Nikon Coolpix S70 That My Aunt Just gave me, because she didnt like the touch screen...... I on the other hand find it convienent to have with me at all times. doesnt have the biggest zoom, or the best features, but still great, because I always have it...

Im thinking something closer to my canon is what will suit your needs.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I have a canon sx110is. My main reasons for choosing it were the zoom range, IS, and that it takes AA batteries.

Low light performance is good in my opinion, it's got a slight shutter lag- but it's never bothered me, probably because most of my subjects, frankly, don't move. I do use manual mode a lot- it's nice to have.

I abuse mine, subject it to horrible dusty gritty conditions, and the lens retraction mechanism failed 16 days before the 1 year warranty was up (to be fair, it had been dragged into dust storms on two continents), I cleaned it well, pulled off the scratched up cling on LCD cover, sent it into Canon and they repaired it under warranty.

I've read good things about the Lumix, but it is really convenient to have a camera that takes AA, so I stick with the Canon.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Canon A720IS:

Totally manual or totally automatic (in other words, absolute control); 2 x AA batteries; light enough to always be with me; common enough to have an enthusiastic following on the web - cool tweaks (CHDK) available to add the few features which Canon overlooked and will never be fixed (e.g. constant read-out of remaining battery meter etc.)

I think in the past year, about 90% of all my pics were from the little Canon

FWIW -

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    another possible option... buy a broken canon via ebay/Craigslist and upgrade it via the Canon Loyalty Program since the g11 is on the list right now. Maybe you can upgrade the PS that you're currently using. It doesn't hurt to ask....
    edited July 20, 2010
    Thanks 98olds, Kolibri, Will and Aktse. The xs110 was the model I wanted - coveted it all last year but was building my slr rig and couldn't justify it; now it's discontinued and replaced by the 120 which seems to be getting pretty bad reviews, particularly about battery life (and I'm also reading a lot of the same complaints I have about my Elph). I'm not entirely averse to it, but the Lumix is $50 cheaper and seems to be better-received - so, I have to decide would I rather trust anonymous reviews and save a few $, or go with the feature-set I'd prefer? Decisions decisions....

April, I'm not home so don't have my old pns with me to trade in - by the time I did a Craigslist transaction and then got a refurb I think it would all take too long.

Will, looks like a great camera, but I could get the s90 for that price, and it's just too much to spend in this situation.

Thank you ALL SO MUCH for comments (and keep 'em coming). thumb.gif I may go poke around the local Best Buy tonight just to see what they have in stock.
  • photokandyphotokandy Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    You could consider a Micro 4/3rds camera; either the Panasonic GF1 or the Olympus E-P1. I have the latter and absolutely adore it (although as far as dSLRs go, it's canon all the way!). I've got the 14-42 kit lens on it plus a 45-200mm panasonic zoom. It looks a little nuts with the large lens, but it's still far more compact than my larger dSLRs are, and doesn't require near the bag space. Low light isn't as good as a dSLR, but more than capable, and LR3 really does wonders with the noise that's present. The E-P1, I find, is serviceable up to ISO 800, starts to require some reduction at around 1600, and more at 3200. I've never really tried 6400, but can't imagine good things. ;-)

'Course both are more expensive than the typical P&S, so if money is an issue, go for the P&S; but if you have the bucks, I'd aim for a larger sensor.
    ~ Kerri, photoKandy Studios ( Facebook | Twitter )

Need customization services? View our packages or see our templates.

Note: I won't be offended if you edit my photo and repost it on dgrin -- I'm always open to new interpretations
    and ideas, and any helpful hints, tips, and/or critiques are welcome. Just don't post the edit anywhere else
    but dgrin, please.

My Gear List
    edited July 20, 2010
    Bucks definitely an issue, hence why I'm not going for the S90, which is pretty much *exactly* what I want in a pns....
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I've had an Panasonic LX3, Canon S5 IS, and used my sister-in-law's TZ5 (earlier ZS1). The TZ5 was the best compromise between the two, with good wideangle, decent telephoto, great jpgs and small enough to slip in a pocket.

There's a reason they win every single compact/travel zoom comparison.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I heard you state that low-light was not a problem, and if so then honestly, an iPhone 4 or other current generation phone could probably do the trick. They're getting up to 8 megapixels, and the image quality is truly decent in normal daylight conditions.

Otherwise, just do a comparison on DPR, using their comparison feature, and pick which features are important to you. Personally, I'd go for an indestructible camera, and one that has as wide of an angle lens as possible. Currently, that camera is the Sony TX5 or something... Not sure what the price is though and I'm too lazy to look it up right now. I'm sure it's in the $300-$400 range...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    i faced the similar problem. Settled with Olympus tough 8000 12 mP. It is only good for the rainy day, tough sports.
    Used it for white water rafting, mountain biking.
    But the noise level is terrible. No low light photo at all.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    photokandy wrote: »
    You could consider a Micro 4/3rds camera; either the Panasonic GF1 or the Olympus E-P1. I have the latter and absolutely adore it (although as far as dSLRs go, it's canon all the way!). I've got the 14-42 kit lens on it plus a 45-200mm panasonic zoom. It looks a little nuts with the large lens, but it's still far more compact than my larger dSLRs are, and doesn't require near the bag space. Low light isn't as good as a dSLR, but more than capable, and LR3 really does wonders with the noise that's present. The E-P1, I find, is serviceable up to ISO 800, starts to require some reduction at around 1600, and more at 3200. I've never really tried 6400, but can't imagine good things. ;-)

'Course both are more expensive than the typical P&S, so if money is an issue, go for the P&S; but if you have the bucks, I'd aim for a larger sensor.

+1

I went and grabbed an EP-2 kit and can't tell you how happy I am that I did. The quality of the kit lens was shockingly good compared to the Canon offerings. Plus there's an adapter for just about any lens out there if you want to start playing with old/alt glass.

I know it's more than you care to spend but the IQ blows the P&S cameras out of the water(maybe the top tier comes close, but then the price is pretty much on par[refurbed Adorama EP-1]). If your a little light on the scratch you could always try Bill Me Later, I've used them for years and love not paying interest to the CC companies.

Good luck sorting it out.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    G series
    I am using G9 from Canon as a P&S and it does fine. The manual mode is handy as is the RAW on occasion. I use these modes to shoot images on stage or off-screen and whenever I am not sure about white balance, other times too. Mostly the automatic works fine. I can also use the Canon accessories like the 430 flash and tripod.

A P&S is essential when you want to have a camera with you always, as a backup, or to lend out to family and friends. I'll be keeping the G9 for many years unless it dies on me. Like you, the DSLR is for serious stuff.

You can probably buy a G9 second hand for relatively little if you can't afford the G11 right now. My instinct would be to buy the one you really want (S90?) even if it means saving up. To fill the gap while you have no money, buy whatever you can get second hand or whatever is on special offer locally The P&S is an essential part of the picture. Get a good one for the longer term when you can afford it.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    aktse wrote: »
    another possible option... buy a broken canon via ebay/Craigslist and upgrade it via the Canon Loyalty Program since the g11 is on the list right now. Maybe you can upgrade the PS that you're currently using. It doesn't hurt to ask....

I wonder if they would give me even 5 dollars for my old A75 :cry

As to manual features with a P&S I have none on my S600 Nikon and just use exposure compensation....seems to do the job for 95% of shots.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    I've the Canon SD780 (in red, so I don't lose it :P) and it's great since it's so sleek and small I carry it EVERYWHERE (and unlike my G10, it's so small I don't notice the extra weight when in a bag or purse or such). It's done some pretty impressive stuff, even with it's limitations (er, not being a dSLR ;) ). They are a bit cheaper these days than when I got it a year ago or so, and I still recommend it. Battery life on the power pack is GREAT unless you try shooting hours of video.

If you want something small you'll actually use quite often for quick snaps, it's a great camera.
    //Leah
    edited July 22, 2010
    Thanks for such great replies, everybody.

In the end, I've decided that I'd rather save the money and get what I really want a little down the line, so I'm just going to get hubby to send me the Elph-that-I-hate instead. It was all just getting too complicated to think about when I'm in intensive rehearsals and really don't have the time to drift into "obsessive photographer" mode :D

However, this is a great thread of suggestions -hopefully it will help somebody else at some point too. It's certainly given me food for thought! I know that I DO want a better pns than the one I have, so it's good to have so many suggestions to consider as I start shopping in a somewhat more leisurely fashion thumb.gif