Gone Fishin'

RxRickRxRick Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited July 22, 2010 in People
I like this photo but I'd like some input from you'all. Especially regarding the composition.

941298995_ctMXD-XL.jpg

Thanks.

--RxRick

Comments

• Te AmoTe Amo Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    For me, the crop is too tight and too centered. Also, you cut the end off of her rod. (hard to fish with half a pole).
    I would have liked to see it with your subject on the right side of the frame, and more open space on the right, giving the fishing line somewhere to go, and giving the image a sense of direction.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    There's something I really like about this. The kicking back, flip-flops and pedicured toenails... I wish the crop on the bottom wasn't as tight (you lost a bit of the flip-flop).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I like the idea. The fishing rob being cut off doesn't bother me. It would be nice to see the girl in the lower right of the frame though. The crop is too tight on the bottom (as others mentioned) and I'd like to see more light on her.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    There's something I really like about this. The kicking back, flip-flops and pedicured toenails... I wish the crop on the bottom wasn't as tight (you lost a bit of the flip-flop).
    15524779-Ti.gif I like this one but I think that it is too focused on her alone; why not a bit more of the rod, scene to get a bit more feeling of what she is doing? I think the angle doesn't help either in this respect. If you can take this a bit more from the right, slightly in the direction she is looking, I think that would help thumb.gif (although I can see that that could have been difficult in a boat).
  • RxRickRxRick Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif I like this one but I think that it is too focused on her alone; why not a bit more of the rod, scene to get a bit more feeling of what she is doing? I think the angle doesn't help either in this respect. If you can take this a bit more from the right, slightly in the direction she is looking, I think that would help thumb.gif (although I can see that that could have been difficult in a boat).

Thanks everyone. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you like a photo for the photo or for the memory (it was a really nice day with my daughter).

I didn't have a lot of room to maneuver since I was sitting four feet away, but I just really liked this capture despite the odd composition. I'll go back and see if I can crop it a little less (the horizon was crooked - I hate that).

Thanks for the input - much appreciated.

--RxRick
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    RxRick wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you like a photo for the photo or for the memory (it was a really nice day with my daughter).

Exactly. Not all photos will be technically correct. There's nothing wrong with loving a photo just for the memories...