Options

Lightroom 1.4 missing/offline images?

PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
edited July 30, 2010 in Finishing School
Something has happened to a bunch of my photo's in Lightroom 1.4. Many of the thumbnails show the "?" mark, and if I go to look at the image I get a "image 'x' is offline or missing" message. I tried the check catalog integrity that is located within the backup deal, but keep getting a message saying the catalog can't be backed up. I've clicked on the "?" on the thumbnail pane and select "locate", but all it does is bring up the generic type search box asking me to enter a file name and choose where to look. It doesn't seem to help actually locate the missing file.

It seems like my catalog somehow got corrupted. It is affecting a couple thousand keeper pics. The "synchronize" option isn't highlighted under the library menu. Is there some way I can do something to locate the missing images? I've done some backups, and backup as catalog to a couple of different hard drives in the past. Is there a way I should try to restore using one of those?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Canon 1D Mark IIN
Canon 350D
24-70 2.8L
70-200 2.8L IS
580EX II
1.4x Extender
Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    did you move images? or have images on an external drive that is not connected? Do a search for the images in finder or similar and see what that brings up?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited July 21, 2010
    When I have "?" in my catalogue indicating that Lightroom can no longer find the file, I right click the large image and select "Show in Finder" which tells me where the image was stored according to Lightroom ( which I am certain was correct at one time )

I then use Spotlight to find a similarly named file on a different drive and let Lightroom re-connect with the file - This is how I handle this issue, but I am on a Mac, and am not sure if this is as easy in Windows. Maybe a Windows user can tell us how they find lost files for Lightroom.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    I've just upgraded to LR3. In LR2, the way that I got around finding files that I may have moved was to import without copying from the place that I had moved the originals to on my hard drive.

On LR3 I can't find that option, and have a set of 2K files I want/need to edit and get uploaded.
    LR3 says they are missing/offline, and even has a handy 'find missing files' tool, but will not allow me to import them or add them or in any way find the originals so that I can edit them. headscratch.gif

One other puzzle w/ LR3 is the x button is cropping rather than marking files as rejected. I need to fix that too, if possible.

Anyone have a solution? Thanks so much,

ann
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    I figured the import problem out I believe - needed to allow the import of duplicates!

Also figured out the x key: if the crop box is open then x works to apply the crop, if you close the box then the x key works to reject the photos.