Thumbnails for password protected galleries

jbeejbee Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited May 16, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I'd like to password protect some galleries with two mods:

1. I'd like the featured photo to show instead of the 'lock'.
2. I'd like to add some text to the password prompt, perhaps instructing the viewer on how to request a password.

Can I do that now?

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Both your wishes have been granted...
    jbee wrote:

2. I'd like to add some text to the password prompt, perhaps instructing the viewer on how to request a password.

Can I do that now?
    I think you get both your wishes.

1) If you feature a photo in a password protected gallery, that photo will show for the gallery's thumbnail instead of the lock image. I do that very thing for everyone of my password protected galleries today. You can see it in action. All the galleries in this category: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/Kayak-Camp-2005 are password protected (try to open one of the galleries and you will see they are password protected, but you see a thumbnail for everyone and no lock image.

2) The customize gallery screen has a "password hint" right below where you specify the password. This hint will appear in the password dialog when the user is prompted for the password.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    jbee wrote:

Can I do that now?
    Currently, I can see featured photos inside "locked" galleries. But that might just be because I'm logged in; maybe if I log out I won't be able to see them anymore. That's very likely the case.

The other thing to do, about helping prompt people about the password, is to use the oh-so-nifty "journal"... I use tons of "journal" set pages for little blurbs on things, such as my info on prints, copywrite, joining smugmug, and just yesterday I made a page for smugmug plus google earth... See what I mean? Just make a small gallery, upload one photo, use CSS to turn off all the un-necessary stuff, and voila you've got a very neat looking page where you can inform people on how to contact you, or pretty much anything... Good luck!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Featured photo thumb shows for a pwd protected gallery
    Currently, I can see featured photos inside "locked" galleries. But that might just be because I'm logged in; maybe if I log out I won't be able to see them anymore. That's very likely the case.
    Featured photos will show in the thumbnail for a password protected gallery, even when you aren't logged in. I found out about this from help@smugmug.com when I asked about this myself 6 months ago. I've been using it ever since for the school-related galleries which I am required to protect by password. It works great.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    I almost asked this exact question about thumbnails for pwd'ed galleries.
    Glad I searched first.
    Thanks for the journal tip too.