Jess

bitwise95bitwise95 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited July 21, 2010 in People
Having some fun shooting and this is one of the images I liked. Whatta think?

4c3da2e02f8c5.jpg

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I like it! the feather and her makeup nicely compliment each other thumb.gif

Maybe I would have rotated her head CW just a tad to get her exactly level and crop a tiny strip of the right side (so far that you crop just to the point were the bottom of the nose stops going down). It seems to give her a different expression and takes away a bit of her forehead which could be a good thing? - small things really.
  • bitwise95bitwise95 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Thanks Ivar! I agree the slight crop gives it a different feel and i'm not sure which one i like better. I think i should do the rotation and reduce some forehead. Thanks for your input!
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I agree with Ivar re. rotation; I just wish that the feather was in sharp focus as is the nose/eye and rest of the picture; a smaller stop would have brought the feather into focus and (along with the slight rotation) would have made it really excellent! The eye colour/makeup coordination is super, although (IMNSHO) the eye-highlight is a bit too big and blocks some of that beautifully coloured iris…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Fantastic!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited July 20, 2010
    Jess
    Thanks Wil. I think it was shot at 11 or 16. (would have to double check when I get home). I think the killer was that I'm on a crop camera and shot at 100ish mm. Appreciate your time!
    edited July 20, 2010
    Jess
    Icebear wrote: »
    Fantastic!

Thanks!
    edited July 21, 2010
    Per the exif, you shot it at f16. Amazing DOF and sharpness. Any smaller aperture and I imagine gains in DOF would be offset by reduction in resolution due to diffraction.
    John :
    edited July 21, 2010
    Per the exif, you shot it at f16. Amazing DOF and sharpness. Any smaller aperture and I imagine gains in DOF would be offset by reduction in resolution due to diffraction.

Thanks for checking as I was on my iphone and could not check. I agree we would take a hit in clarity stopping down further. I might try the concept again and go with a 60mm-ish length to get the DoF needed.
    edited July 21, 2010
    Now you're confusing me. headscratch.gif Wouldn't you be better off with a longer lens rather than a shorter? That would allow you to back off, and I THINK get MORE rather than Less DOF. I may be AFU on this, but I think DOF has more to do with camera to subject distance and f-stop than lens focal length. I probably just set myself up some serious tutorials, but hey, I might just learn summat.
    John :
    edited July 21, 2010
    Now you're confusing me. headscratch.gif Wouldn't you be better off with a longer lens rather than a shorter? That would allow you to back off, and I THINK get MORE rather than Less DOF. I may be AFU on this, but I think DOF has more to do with camera to subject distance and f-stop than lens focal length. I probably just set myself up some serious tutorials, but hey, I might just learn summat.

Sorry, wasn't very clear. Here is my understading, and I too may be open to some learning ;). I understand it the same as you, the influence is camera to subject distance and aperature. I shot this at 111mm and the subject was at 1.2m. This gives me a DoF of about 2.7 inches. If go to 55.5mm and 0.6m I get the same 2.7 inches and the subject fills the frame the same (well not exactly but very close). If i backup and shoot at 1.5m and at 138mm, I get the same 2.7 inches. If i step it down to f/22 I get about 3.7 inches and that may be enuf for this. In this scenerio, if i use 55.5mm and instead of moving to 0.6m I only move in to 0.8m i get about 6.7 inches, but she does not fill the frame any more. Same would be true of just backing up from 1.2m to about 1.6m. However, if i backed up to 1.6m I would bump into my pool table (anyone want to buy a pool table?) So, short answer is that I needed to decrease the "focal length-to-subject distance" ratio if I wanted to keep at f/16 and increase my DoF (and not back into the pool table).
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    or just move the feather closer/further
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited July 21, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    or just move the feather closer/further