Options

New Smugmug Tab Facebook App

solomodelssolomodels Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
edited January 27, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
For all the facebook fans out there, we just rolled out our latest app for smugmug users.

This app effortlessly lets you include all your smugmug public galleries (wiht support for the category/subcategory views) as a Tab in your facebook profiles and fan pages.

Checkout a live sample here

http://www.facebook.com/smugmugtab?v=app_368736023270

Or to install it, please visit

http://www.facebook.com/smugmugtab

Please note that this app doesn't require any refreshing or other manual updating. It automatically updates itself is real time as you make changes to your smugmug account so it will always be in perfect sync with your smugmug account.

Please feel free to post suggestions for improvement or other comments you may have.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 20, 2010
    Ooooo! I'm gonna check it out and get back to you with feedback. wings.gif
  • Options
    ssklarssklar Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Nice! Thank you!
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2010
    A few cool updates
    A few neat updates to tell you guys about:

1- Select between a Gallery or Category view just like on Smugmug

2- Add it to your fan pages as well as profiles.

Even more features will be added soon.

Thank you.
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Looks awesome... Small feature request, it'd be great if galleries were sorted by update time, with most recent in the top left.
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2010
    rsquared wrote: »
    Looks awesome... Small feature request, it'd be great if galleries were sorted by update time, with most recent in the top left.

Waiting for smugmug to add this option to the API so the order can match what you have on smugmug itself. Currently it seems to be returned in alphabetical order always.
  • Options
    flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    Just be careful here, if you have ANY images that may violate the terms of service you could be in hot water.

Also, remember this uses the largest res version you allow, you allow originals on your site, they WILL be on facebook.

OP, nice implementation.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2010
    flyingwolf wrote: »
    Just be careful here, if you have ANY images that may violate the terms of service you could be in hot water.

Also, remember this uses the largest res version you allow, you allow originals on your site, they WILL be on facebook.

OP, nice implementation.

A few corrections:

1- The largest size image we display is going to be a 745x720 pixels (the size that currently fits in the dimensions allowed in a facebook tab). So we don't show originals, and if you've limited the size to something even smaller on smugmug, then it will show that smaller image.

2- Right click to save images is not disabled, if users try to right click and try to save, they only get to save a 1 pixel blank image and not the actual image. It's not going to stop people from doing screenshots, but the same is true on smugmug itself.

3- Your photos are never uploaded to facebook itself, they are just displayed remotely directly from smugmug's servers.

Thank you.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    a few notes on new app.
    solomodels wrote: »
    A few neat updates to tell you guys about:

1- Select between a Gallery or Category view just like on Smugmug

2- Add it to your fan pages as well as profiles.

Even more features will be added soon.

Thank you.
    I'm glad you added this app., but I haven't really compared it to SmugFoto-- upfront I didn't see much difference. At first glance, I wish there were larger thumbs displayed, rather than tiny thumbs and a lot of space... maybe that's not possible? It would be helpful to tell people here though that to add this app to your fan pages is not free ($10 a yr., right?) I mean, not a huge deal, but I went right to it hoping to add it to my fan page since other apps haven't been working for that. It took me a few min. to figure out that it wasn't part of the free app.

I also wish it would link to my custom name on SmugMug, which is WinsomeWorks, rather than my basic name. I had to try 4 different names to figure out which would work... some instructions about what to put in the "SmugMug account" box would help. I didn't know whether to add the "www." or not. The answer to that is "no"... it won't work. Then I didn't know I couldn't use my custom name. Again, not a biggie, but it would help to add this to the instructions so it's not a hit-or-miss process.

At least one of the photos displayed in a gallery in the sample page seems like it would not be allowed on Facebook due to nudity, but I haven't really read their rules-- anyone know? Thank you for correcting FlyingWolf's comments, as I knew that FB squashes file sizes down to nothing-ness whether you want them to or not!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2010
    I'm glad you added this app., but I haven't really compared it to SmugFoto-- upfront I didn't see much difference. At first glance, I wish there were larger thumbs displayed, rather than tiny thumbs and a lot of space... maybe that's not possible? It would be helpful to tell people here though that to add this app to your fan pages is not free ($10 a yr., right?) I mean, not a huge deal, but I went right to it hoping to add it to my fan page since other apps haven't been working for that. It took me a few min. to figure out that it wasn't part of the free app.

I also wish it would link to my custom name on SmugMug, which is WinsomeWorks, rather than my basic name. I had to try 4 different names to figure out which would work... some instructions about what to put in the "SmugMug account" box would help. I didn't know whether to add the "www." or not. The answer to that is "no"... it won't work. Then I didn't know I couldn't use my custom name. Again, not a biggie, but it would help to add this to the instructions so it's not a hit-or-miss process.

At least one of the photos displayed in a gallery in the sample page seems like it would not be allowed on Facebook due to nudity, but I haven't really read their rules-- anyone know? Thank you for correcting FlyingWolf's comments, as I knew that FB squashes file sizes down to nothing-ness whether you want them to or not!

Thank you for your comments. We'll try to improve the user experience.

There is really just the "smugmug" name, the other name is your domain name, which we can't use to find your account.

This is a brand new app, so you'll be sure to see lots of improvements over the coming weeks/months as we get more feedback.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
  • Options
    SouwalkerSouwalker Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    My web address is www.patrickdesouza.com but smugmug tab is asking me to type in my smugmug username.com
    What do I do?

Rgds
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    Looks like facebook has removed the option to add tabs to my profile and can only add to fan page. What does this mean?
    Rgds
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    HOw do I uninstall this app?
  • Options
    reese.leblancreese.leblanc Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    For some reason, it refuses to let me add the tab to my fan page. When I click on "Add to my page", it says No Results found. Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2010
    For some reason, it refuses to let me add the tab to my fan page. When I click on "Add to my page", it says No Results found. Any ideas?

Same here so I gave up.

I selected the galley format but nothing happened too.
  • Options
    ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    Facebook
    I added the SM tab to my Fan page and I love it. However it's not updating with my new galleries as I add them. Can anyone tell me why?

Also does anyone know how to add custom tabs? I visited one site and they had a custom tab with images and information on the Christmas cards. Then another tab with information about their wedding packages.

I'd like to do the same but not sure how to do it.

Finally, what does everyone do about uploading photos to Facebook so you can tag people? I'm hesitant to upload the photos because they are not right click protected and people can just save them to their desktop. What do you all do? Any word on the progress of more Facebook integration with our site so we can tag people in our galleries?

Thanks
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010

up in the tabs part of your fan page look for >> clik here and the SM Portfolio should drop down then clik it....this is how it worked for me just now.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    I added the SM tab to my Fan page and I love it. However it's not updating with my new galleries as I add them. Can anyone tell me why?

Also does anyone know how to add custom tabs? I visited one site and they had a custom tab with images and information on the Christmas cards. Then another tab with information about their wedding packages.

I'd like to do the same but not sure how to do it.

Finally, what does everyone do about uploading photos to Facebook so you can tag people? I'm hesitant to upload the photos because they are not right click protected and people can just save them to their desktop. What do you all do? Any word on the progress of more Facebook integration with our site so we can tag people in our galleries?

Thanks
    I shoot a lot of semi pro football and the players have my shots all over Facebook. What I did was I uploaded lower res pictures with a small watermark in the corner and I did not block the rightclick , I looked at it as a form of advertisement.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    ClementeClemente Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 27, 2012
    I installed the SmugMug Portfolio App in my Facebook Fan Page, however, when I click on an image it does not provide the option "view in SmugMug". What do I have to do ?