>>> Discussion: Family/Group shots

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited August 28, 2010 in People
Next topic: Family/Group shots! What to think about when shooting groups?

Shooting groups can be challenging, especially if you are relatively new to it; What about aperture? Lighting? Backgrounds? What are formations of people that look good on a photo? what about height-differences? indoor/outdoor? etc...

Have any tips or questions? or any examples of what should or should not be done? Please share them here!

If you have any topics/questions that you would like discussed, please let me know :thumb

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    What the 'h' - I'll jump in here. Groups are harder to shoot than individuals due to finding the right DOF. If you go too shallow, only some group members will be in focus. I've found, depending on the size of the group, that f/8 or f/11 seems to work reasonably sell.

Once I get the group arranged, I'll use one focus point aimed at whoever is in my 'key' position for a shot and then switch to using all focus points the camera offers to get everyone in focus. May not be perfect, but it works for me. Anyone else?

Oh - and lighting? I try my darnedest to shoot outside in the shade.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Not a very popular topic, apparently?
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    What the 'h' - I'll jump in here. Groups are harder to shoot than individuals due to finding the right DOF. If you go too shallow, only some group members will be in focus. I've found, depending on the size of the group, that f/8 or f/11 seems to work reasonably sell.
    I usually end up around 9ish as well thumb.gif
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Once I get the group arranged, I'll use one focus point aimed at whoever is in my 'key' position for a shot and then switch to using all focus points the camera offers to get everyone in focus. May not be perfect, but it works for me. Anyone else?
    I usually just use single focus point in a logical place, and not bother with switching, tbh. I have to be sure to use common sense when selecting the focus point, though.

anyone? ear.gif
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    Besides the lighting, posing, and camera setting challenges, synchronized attention from the subjects is another issue that I've yet to find a perfect solution. Synchronized attention problem here means closed/blinked eyes, distracted looks, and unusual facial expressions. The younger and larger the group, the more severe the issue. My usual solution is to count to 3 and take multiple shots. Any better suggestions?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Know the room. Be the kind of interesting your audience wants and engage them in the work you're doing. Engaging can mean anything from getting them to laugh AT you (instead of with you) to full survival mode for all involved. Clear, easy-to-follow instructions for the grown-ups are a must. You have to engage those kids or you're sunk! It's part stand-up, part acrobat, part magician. Pure show.

Oh, and all the technical stuff you have to know to get the shot in the first place.

I dread it until I'm doing it and then I LOVE every second of it!
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I just shot a golf outing for my company. Roving all around the course to get the groups in action and the obligatory posed "group" shot...I kept it at f/8 with great success. I did notice that a few were at f/2.8 (shooting action on another hole, then forgetting to change the AV for the group), but because I had some distance between me and the group (using 85mm f/1.8) and the fact they were mostly on the same focal plane, those shots turned out very good, too.
    I tried to focus on what made sense to me, which was primarily one of the guys/gals in the middle of the frame.
    It was a beautifully overcast day, so that was perfect.

I've been asked to work a class reunion in November. My indoor skills are nothing compared to working in natural light. I don't yet have a flash (other than the on board), so I'm looking for any tips you all can offer for that one!
    Chris Sowers
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Cuong wrote: »
    Besides the lighting, posing, and camera setting challenges, synchronized attention from the subjects is another issue that I've yet to find a perfect solution. Synchronized attention problem here means closed/blinked eyes, distracted looks, and unusual facial expressions. The younger and larger the group, the more severe the issue. My usual solution is to count to 3 and take multiple shots. Any better suggestions?

Cuong

I've hasd some success by asking the whole group to close their eyes and then everyone open them on the count of three. Then I rapidly shoot a few frames.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • JamesCroftPhotographyJamesCroftPhotography Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    As with all portraits, I've found that getting to know the family that you are going to be working with will help to no end in determining what sort of posing you will be using. If you are shooting on location especially, try to get a feel for the personalities within the family. Depending on the size of the group this can be more difficult, but you should still try to play to as many of the personalities as possible. Case in point, I recently did a family shoot of 17 people down at the beach. I know this is much in the same vein as indiegirl, but one other thing: be prepared to be different and unique, even when you have a large group to work with. For families, try developing a visual family tree and closing down your f-stop to 11 or so if you're shooting with a good amount of daylight to compensate.
    As far as getting people in sync with one another, getting them all engaged in the photo-taking process, although as the group size increases, the number of people who don't want to be there also tend to increase. Want to get a couple of stubborn children more into the day? Bring along a shutter release cord and tripod so they can take a picture of the group themselves. The more they get involved, I've found, the more likely they are to stay engaged when they are on the other side of the lens.
    906480295_LgabN-L.jpg

P.S. Please don't hate on the image - it was editing to a VERY tight deadline at the end of the editing process... so let's just say that the people were supposed to be glowing against the sky... I show this image because I feel it helps to show the personality of the family - this pose was chosen by them, which helped to ensure that they were all engaged in making it work.
    Tim
    James Croft Photography
    http://www.JamesCroftPhotography.com
    Photography makes life worth living, or at least makes it more attractive.