"mill" ...... HDR

DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
edited July 24, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Faux water wheel behind Griffin Museum of Photography, Winchester, MA

941907030_QfvRK-L-1.jpg

C&C Welcome

Don
Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Nice result Don thumb.gif I do like the work you've done to it. It has an appealing
    look to me. Pretty cool.
    Michael
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Thanks, DaddyO! A previous version had the blues in the branch and else where more saturated. I like this one better. Not sure why the sky ended up so B&W. The was zip, but white in the non HDR. This is a one shot, LR exposure change to Virtual Copies, HDR in Photomatix pro.

:D

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited July 21, 2010
    Nice to know the detail on this. Did notice the sky earlier. Haven't played
    with HDR enough to know what goes on with it and avoid BW skies in a
    total color shot. Must be a way though. :D
    Michael
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    I know HDR comes in many variants, and it is a personal taste. Having said that, I don't really care for this one. The overdone look is overdone; The wheel seems like it is pasted on the building, instead of attached to it. The sky is doesn't fit the image. The composition is not doing it for me, either. I'm sorry, but I feel like I have seen much better from you ne_nau.gif
    edited July 21, 2010
    Ivar, is this one more to your tastes? (Is to mine! :D )

942719392_XftCU-L.jpg

Don
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Hey Don,

I have to be honest.....I didn't care for the first version of this shot. This second version, though, I find much more appealing from the presentation viewpoint.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited July 21, 2010
    "mill" ...... HDR
    Thanks, Tom. It's actually my proffered style. I keep trying fit a decent Grunge one, though! :D

Don
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Howdy Don,

I like # 2 as well, and even might pull down the center of the Curves a little to darken it down.

Really looks like a neat place.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited July 21, 2010
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Don,

I like # 2 as well, and even might pull down the center of the Curves a little to darken it down.

Really looks like a neat place.
    942719392_XftCU-L-1.jpg

Any better?

Don
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,238 moderator
    edited July 22, 2010
    Honestly, all those versions 1-3 look highly overcooked to me and completely unnatural. Sorry.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 22, 2010
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Honestly, all those versions 1-3 look highly overcooked to me and completely unnatural. Sorry.
    15524779-Ti.gif

I'd be curious to see what the middle-exposure original capture looked like. A well-exposed, traditionally processed single frame might actually give a more pleasing result for this scene. ne_nau.gif
    edited July 22, 2010
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Hey, to each their own. As noted in the various posts to this thread! :D

Don
    edited July 22, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

I'd be curious to see what the middle-exposure original capture looked like. A well-exposed, traditionally processed single frame might actually give a more pleasing result for this scene. ne_nau.gif
    You mean, maybe, like this:
    943479106_vgMoJ-L-1.jpg

This is the solo image I used. THe others were too hand held (even with a monopod) to match with it.

Don
  • KerrBearKerrBear Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    I really like the scene. The angle is nice and everything. But instead of trying to modify the image afterward to make the colors and detail pop and the sky not look so gloomy, maybe try taking the image again. This time when the sun is a little brighter on the wheel side of the building and when the sky isn't filled with gray clouds. I'm not at all a professional. I take pictures because it is fun. I do admire photos and I like this one. This advice is only what I personally would try if the editing and the original aren't exactly what I was looking for. . .
    edited July 22, 2010
    KerrBear wrote: »
    I really like the scene. The angle is nice and everything. But instead of trying to modify the image afterward to make the colors and detail pop and the sky not look so gloomy, maybe try taking the image again. This time when the sun is a little brighter on the wheel side of the building and when the sky isn't filled with gray clouds. I'm not at all a professional. I take pictures because it is fun. I do admire photos and I like this one. This advice is only what I personally would try if the editing and the original aren't exactly what I was looking for. . .
    Re-shooting is always a way to go, but nto so easy if the location is not local to you... ALso this was after noon and the wheel is in the east with pine trees right on top of the building, virtually and water beyond. WHere I stood was one of the dew spot with a wide angle to even get this shot, initially.

It is a place worth visiting, though, being the Griffin Museum of Photography!

:D

Don
    edited July 22, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    You mean, maybe, like this:
    This is the solo image I used.
    I prefer that one to the others, but if it were mine, I would probably try B&W, which can be more forgiving of blown highlights.
    edited July 22, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I prefer that one to the others, but if it were mine, I would probably try B&W, which can be more forgiving of blown highlights.
    Richard,
    Something like this?
    944101640_f2UGE-L.jpg

Or an alternate take:

944096880_fe5Rc-L.jpg

Don
    edited July 22, 2010
    Jeeze :D What killed off sweet take one that it go to BW status? rolleyes1.gif
    Michael
    edited July 22, 2010
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Jeeze :D What killed off sweet take one that it go to BW status? rolleyes1.gif
    Just providing the full gamut of choices for the wide range of likes, here.....eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

thumb.gif

Don
    edited July 23, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Richard,
    Something like this?
    Yes, better. It would be more dramatic if you raised the black point just a hair.
  • Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    Thought I'd chip in from an architectural photographers perspective. I don't care much for the overdone HDR, but seperately from that, you seem to have a lean on both different shots here. Buildings nearly always look better if the horizon is level unless you're going for a deliberate lean (wich this isn't). Converging verticals also look a little uncomfortable but not always avoidable. The crop is a wee bit tight too, I always prefer to see a bit more space around a building to give it a little context. Cheers Chris.
    edited July 23, 2010
    "mill" ...... HDR
    Chris H wrote: »
    Thought I'd chip in from an architectural photographers perspective. I don't care much for the overdone HDR, but seperately from that, you seem to have a lean on both different shots here. Buildings nearly always look better if the horizon is level unless you're going for a deliberate lean (wich this isn't). Converging verticals also look a little uncomfortable but not always avoidable. The crop is a wee bit tight too, I always prefer to see a bit more space around a building to give it a little context. Cheers Chris.
    15524779-Ti.gif

However here I was in too tight a space with a crop factor 1.5 body and a 17mm lens. These are both lens crop, not post.

I can correct in LR 3.0 but no room in this case.

Don
  • Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    Fair enough, you can only work with what you've got.thumb.gif