Peggers

SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
edited July 23, 2010 in People
Okay... I call them Peggers because they are from Winnipeg Canada. :rofl

I have very limited experience shooting people. Most of my (amateur) work has been on product photography and only recently I grew the "guts" to take on real people. Even then, I tend to be very PJ and shy when it comes to directing.

Those were shot with a D90 with the kit lens and a SB800 on camera flash.
I took a bunch of shots, but I only had time to go through about ten of them so far.

1. Alyssa
942129571_vLEJp-L.jpg

2. Lindsey

942131692_Uaoxa-L.jpg

3. Lindsey. This is a crop from a multiple subject photo, about 25% of the frame.

942138515_qxErC-L.jpg

4. Caroline

942132899_SyhbV-L.jpg

5. Same shot, but different PP. The as shot colors did not do it for me.

942132691_XxGFp-L.jpg
Chip

ad astra per aspera

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Really like 3 & 5. I like the color for the 4/5 pair. The green and salmon colors work well and the black seems too dark/dirty to me.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Thanks.

The first ones are very PJ/Point and Shoot and not posed.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Beautiful girls! Love #4 :D
    I would have cropped #2 and #3 a lot tighter. And there is a somewhat distracting white/red object in the background.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    I get that they weren't posed. My take was on the first, you need more context to make it work. She's entertained/happy about something off screen. Sometimes that make you say, "I wonder what she's looking at?" But I don't feel intrigued enough. The second one seemed like she looked a bit tired (to me). It think it's the eyes for me. The light is nice!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    LOVE # 4! Would really like to see it as a "vertical" and all of the hair if you have it. (Of course the Vertical would be "unruly"...just go with it! :D)
    edited July 21, 2010
    LOVE # 4! Would really like to see it as a "vertical" and all of the hair if you have it. (Of course the Vertical would be "unruly"...just go with it! :D)

That would be an easy thing to do. I should try it.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    I also like #4 of this set -Lottsa triangles in there. mwink.gif

The others are just kinda,,,, vanilla. ne_nau.gif
  • bitwise95bitwise95 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2010

15524779-Ti.gif Love the b/w, the lines and the tension.
    edited July 22, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »

Laughing.gif. I like vanilla! rolleyes1.gifrofl
    But yes, I agree with you.
    They are boring to 99.9 percent of the people because they are not posed nor do they convey any real emotions, so there is no real "value" to it so to speak. They are only good to the people in them.

I like product photography and buildings etc. People are a challenge to me but hopefully after much vanilla, I can graduate to the next tastier topping. rolleyes1.gif
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • 1downfall1downfall Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    #3 is my top pick.....the first 2 strike me as too hot......bright. she's a cutey
    edited July 23, 2010
    SLRdude wrote: »
    Laughing.gif. I like vanilla! rolleyes1.gifrofl
    But yes, I agree with you.
    They are boring to 99.9 percent of the people because they are not posed nor do they convey any real emotions, so there is no real "value" to it so to speak. They are only good to the people in them.

I like product photography and buildings etc. People are a challenge to me but hopefully after much vanilla, I can graduate to the next tastier topping. rolleyes1.gif

In #3, you got the angle down in that one and you're not beaming light into her chest. Her face is broad-lit but she seems to have the features that can withstand that (MHO's), and so I'll 'upgrade' that shot, to,,, 'Strawberry Swirls', with a fancy spoon too eat it with. thumb.gif

I'm notta Hot-Shot, People-Shooter, either. Just a wannabe. rolleyes1.gif
    Take my words as sincere, best that can be afforded, based on my learnings,,,, encouragement. And from what I have seen here, (mentioned shots), maybe you should treat your 'People', as though they were just another 'Product'. ne_nau.gif
    edited July 23, 2010

In #3, you got the angle down in that one and you're not beaming light into her chest. Her face is broad-lit but she seems to have the features that can withstand that (MHO's), and so I'll 'upgrade' that shot, to,,, 'Strawberry Swirls', with a fancy spoon too eat it with. thumb.gif

I'm notta Hot-Shot, People-Shooter, either. Just a wannabe. rolleyes1.gif
    Take my words as sincere, best that can be afforded, based on my learnings,,,, encouragement. And from what I have seen here, (mentioned shots), maybe you should treat your 'People', as though they were just another 'Product'. ne_nau.gif

I'll stick them in a lightbox and tell them to point their hands at 10:08 Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gifrofl
    That might work!

66982368_aM4P7-L.jpg
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
    edited July 23, 2010
    You'll need a bigger tent....