Trying simple HDR

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited July 30, 2010 in Technique
Since fill flash isn't allowed or necessarily advisable with these horses, I tried using HDR as post solution. I'd like some feedback on if you think it looks natural or not. I took the original (where the face was much too dark) and made -2, -1, +1, +2 and 0 versions, ran through photomatix, experimented a bunch with the detail mapping sliders and ended up somewhere that seemed sensible. Wasn't sure where to put this since the image isn't really refinery material.

I'm just getting started with trying HDR flows. This was my second total attempt.

942906929_AiSrs-XL.jpg

Thanks!
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 21, 2010
    There is obviously more contrast and color in the rider's face than in the background, almost like you purposely desaturated the background ( which I do in some of my images ) so that is an observation not a criticism. You definitely have improved the visibility of the rider's face which was hidden in shadow before.

If the image were mine, I would burn down the sand and the background as well, and maybe even add a vignette.

This image does not scream "hdr" but does show how you can improve shadow detail hidden away in a sunlit image.

You may have the face ~1/2 stop too bright for being in the shadow, but probably only photographers will really notice that.

I don't shoot horses ( and I have no idea of the equestrian protocols about flash ) , but do the horses really react to the very brief flash out of doors in bright sunlight?

Fill Flash your self that way sometime, and I think you will find that the flash is much much less noticed than when you are indoors in a dark room and add flash. Out of doors in bright sunlight your pupils are much smaller that when indoors, and your retina is adapted to a bright light environment. More a question for my information than anything. I notice when photographing birds in bright sunlight that fill flash rarely causes any reaction by wild birds. They see the flash, but do not seem threatened by it at all.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll play some more with the image.

I'm fairly certain that the horse wouldn't care about a fill flash. However, these are camp horses so I can't vouch for how they'll behave. At this camp, they put as, "we wish you wouldn't". At a riding camp she was at, the rule (even for the professional they have take pictures of the show) was "no no no". Didn't have an option of doing some test shots with the horses w/o riders so testing the theory with a kid on top was off the menu. :D
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    I have shot hundreds and hundreds of pictures of horses with flash (aka: strobes), but I would never shoot one with flash that I, or more importantly, the owner, was certain that the horse is used to a flash. I've even seen seasoned rodeo horses get startled by a flash. With riders, especially young riders, I wouldn't chance a flash. YMMV

As to your question Andrew, I'm with PF. I think the face is a little too bright. Looks un-natural. I'd back that down a bit, and I think you'll have a nice shot.
    Randy
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 21, 2010
    I was not suggesting using a flash with a young rider, just wondering how big a stressor it is to a horse. I can see that you would not want to contribute to an accident due to flash usage.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 26, 2010
    I think the shot looks pretty good. Yeah, the face is really bright. I agree with Pathfinder about the ground being a little too bright too. Honestly, I think this shot could have been processed in the RAW converter to get you what you wanted using the fill light, adjustment brush and maybe adjustment gradient. Plus you'd get better control doing it manually like that and just as much range since it's a single frame.
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Could you please explain how you do a 5 exposure sequence of a moving subject? I do 3 exposure sequences handheld and Photomatix will align them but I don't know how to shoot a scene with internal motion. Is the blurry background focus or did you follow the rider?

Thanks,
    Werner

PS, I reread your post and now understand that you created the other exposures from the 0 EV. Sorry for the distraction. Do you believe that this works better than just manipulating the tone curve on the 0 EV exposure to bring out the shading that you want?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    I haven't done much of comparison. It was really an attempt of using the tool to get reasonable results. More about the journey than the destination in this case.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site