Midnight Moonrise Over Pont Neuf Bridge in Paris

BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited July 23, 2010 in Landscapes
One of my first night shots ever, I was surprised when I saw the starbursts. I've read a bit as to causes... aperture, shutter speed, etc., but any additional info will be appreciated. Also, constructive comments and thoughts are welcome.

906407109_SNhZN-L-2.jpg

Thanks for your feedback, John
Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Nice job…

…but I can't help thinking that it needs rotating CCW by about 2 degrees in order to get the verticals right!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Nice job…

…but I can't help thinking that it needs rotating CCW by about 2 degrees in order to get the verticals right!

thumb.gif

- Wil

You're right. However, I tried that and the buildings become unlevel. The moonrise, the downsloping right side of the bridge and it's lights, and their river reflections were the best balance and my intended composition. I took many shots of the entire bridge span which include the downsloping left side of the bridge, but the impact of the moonrise is lost and there's a big dark dead zone on the left of the photo - They were quite ugly... :))

Thanks much for your feedback.
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited July 21, 2010
    I would line it up so that the reflections (moon, lamps) are vertically correct, and the buildings will look after themselves…

thumb.gif

- Wil
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Excellent composition! As others have said, probably a slight rotation counter clockwise. Great reflections!
  • philtographyphiltography Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    I agree, needs CCW rotation... reflections on the water and the church spire are good references...the perspective shifts and sloping bridge aren't the issue...

I would consider adjusting the white balance a little too..

Nice shot.
    Phillip Norman Photography
    http://www.phillipnorman.com
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Just ran it through and a .30 CCW rotation lines up the light reflections.
    edited July 22, 2010
    To the Simpsons, you hit the bullseye. I ran a plumb (verticle level) line across the image and got from .23 to .35 of 1% off true verticle and level, so your .30 is on target... Your prize Ferarri is in route to you... matchbox version :D - I must add that on some of these images I was trying to post straight off the camera, so .30 is well within my tolerances of the WGAS test especially when I'm trying to take them straight off the camera....

For Wil, and this example hopefully will also serve to inform whoever put the other CCW Rotate Needed comments on my Notre Dame and Stroller images. I like them as they are. If you don't, tilt your heads 2 degrees CCW.... :D

Most of my comment is on the image itself. The following is a half hour of my life I'll never get back...

943419076_WBFjo-L-2.jpg

edited July 22, 2010
    Brody wrote: »
    snip…
    I like them as they are. If you don't, tilt your heads 2 degrees CCW.... :D
    …snip

CCW????

CW surely…

(think about it… :D)

thumb.gif

- Wil
    edited July 22, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    CCW????

CW surely…

(think about it… :D)

thumb.gif

- Wil

Funny... I actually had a whole thing written on "Depending on whether someone is sitting in front of or behind you, have them grab your face and turn your head this way or grab the back of your head and turn it that way, preferably your model" etc., etc., but it sounded smart-ass and sexist, so I killed it....

Good catch :D

John
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    I think something might be wrong with your camera, all the little lights have a strange star pattern....

and the sky is not blue.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 22, 2010
    I think something might be wrong with your camera, all the little lights have a strange star pattern....

and the sky is not blue.

I know and it Pisses Me Off! I sent it back to Canon with a sample image... they said I'd get it back in a few months...

Lousy 5D Mark II POS.... :cry

Thanks, I needed a chuckle :D

John

_
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010

and the sky is not blue.
    You have a point, I didn't even notice the sky. :D
    edited July 23, 2010
    ok, then its settled... your camera is broke.

However, you really did some great work saving it and making this have a great level of mood to it...

but first fix your verticals:D

then honestly I can say, (once the nit picking is done) this will be a wallHANGER.
    Aaron Nelson
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    i dont care what you professionals say ,
    as an amateur ,i say that the verticals in post #1 are correct
    its optical illusion , because of the line of the bridge

wanne try ?
    minimize the window to 1/4 of your screen and drag to side of monitor
    everything is in line
    edited July 23, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    i dont care what you professionals say ,
    as an amateur ,i say that the verticals in post #1 are correct
    its optical illusion , because of the line of the bridge

wanne try ?
    minimize the window to 1/4 of your screen and drag to side of monitor
    everything is in line

The bridge has nothing to do with anything.... well except the lights on the bridge that reflect upon the water...

FWIW IMO the rotation tool will not fix this issue... but the perspective tool will:D

btw, who are the professionals that you dont care to hear??
    Aaron Nelson
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    and i say its optical illusion
    every thing is vertical , both building and reflections
    its because of the angle of the bridge that other things appear wrong to our eyes
    but , they are vertical
    edited July 23, 2010
    deja vu......rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson