niece at the beach

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited July 24, 2010 in People
We had a family vacation on the coast last week and my sis-in-law wanted a couple shots of my niece...in a white outfit on the beach and sporting her new short hair cut. As there was a chilly wind, we went out when it was bright and sunny...for about 6 minutes! I'm partial to these two shots and wondered what others would think (despite the blown bits here and there). These were both shot with the Canon 40D, 50 1.4 at 2.8, ISO 100.

942233024_ouUtq-XL-1.jpg

943268192_WfgZD-XL.jpg

942979456_UeDqL-XL-1.jpg

943268062_p8Z5X-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    I like the light and the colours…

…and the hair!

…and the texture of the sand!

…I dunno about the vignetting in #1 though…

Pretty girl!

Thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    I like the light and the colours…

…and the hair!

…and the texture of the sand!

…I dunno about the vignetting in #1 though…

Pretty girl!

Thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil

Thanks, Wil! I'm kinda a vignette junkie, but I can understand if some don't care for it. Thanks for the comments! I'm glad the light and colors are appealing.
    I've added some conversions, just for fun.
    Elaine

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    3 is spectacular, and I absolutely love the conversion on 2. You have such an eye for light, Elaine! Brava, brava, brava. I really like this set (and the vignetting doesn't bother me, possibly because I'm also a vignette junkie given half a chance... rolleyes1.gif) thumb.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    REALLY like that 2nd one!
  • FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Number 2 is absolutely stunning!
    Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
    edited July 22, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    3 is spectacular, and I absolutely love the conversion on 2. You have such an eye for light, Elaine! Brava, brava, brava. I really like this set (and the vignetting doesn't bother me, possibly because I'm also a vignette junkie given half a chance... rolleyes1.gif) thumb.gif

Thanks, Diva! These were some of my first shots edited in LR3! thumb.gif Well, the second one also had a trip through CS3. I'm glad you think that one looks good as it took a lot of work, actually. Thanks for the comments!
    Elaine

edited July 22, 2010
    Darren and Fstoplife...thanks for the votes on #2!
    Elaine

edited July 22, 2010
    Because I like to see Before and Afters, I thought I'd share my SOOC of #3...

943903003_hBsrr-L.jpg

and the edited version...

942979456_UeDqL-L-1.jpg

I haven't worked up a photo this much in a long time. I prefer to just do what I can do in LR and skip Photoshop, but I wanted to do just a bit of skin work and background clean-up for this one. I am not very practiced in PS, so this took me longer than it should have, but I'm pretty pleased with it. But I'm always open to learning more should anyone have any suggestions!
    Elaine

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    awesome stuff. I don't mind the blown stuff at all in these shots. just a small small nit..in the 1st 2 shots..her earing? is swept back and looks kinda strange on her head. like she has a secret service ear piece.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited July 22, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    awesome stuff. I don't mind the blown stuff at all in these shots. just a small small nit..in the 1st 2 shots..her earing? is swept back and looks kinda strange on her head. like she has a secret service ear piece.

Thanks, Qarik! Yep, that's her earring! The breeze was blowing them around. You can see it in the other shots as well, on the left flying up behind her ear. I briefly thought about doing something with them, but I knew they were special to her and her mom, so I left them alone. I think because she and her mom know what earrings they are, they won't look odd to them, but I do know what you mean. Thanks for the comments!
    Elaine

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    The first one is lovely!! I really like the composition and the muted colors. The earring bugs me, but you've already explained it.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    I really like the treatment in #2, though both versions are lovely.

#3 for me on the closeup - the color seems to go so well with her sweet expression, though #4 works really well too. Nice work in pp!! It was worth the trouble you took.

Virginia

Email
    edited July 23, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    The first one is lovely!! I really like the composition and the muted colors. The earring bugs me, but you've already explained it.

Thanks, Mitchell! Appreciate the comments!
    Elaine

edited July 23, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    I really like the treatment in #2, though both versions are lovely.

#3 for me on the closeup - the color seems to go so well with her sweet expression, though #4 works really well too. Nice work in pp!! It was worth the trouble you took.

Virginia

Virginia, thank you very much! Sometimes you look at something so long you're not sure if it's any good any more. I'm glad the pp looks good to you! And I'm happy to hear nice things about #2 as well.
    Elaine

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    These are really scrumptious Elaine...

all of them....

#2 though ...is realyy timeless and elegant. Beautifully handled before and after the shots.thumb.gif
    edited July 24, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    These are really scrumptious Elaine...

all of them....

#2 though ...is realyy timeless and elegant. Beautifully handled before and after the shots.thumb.gif

Thanks much, Jeff! I haven't really tried for a portrait type shot for awhile, so I'm glad these worked out. I wasn't really confident going into it because it was so cold, windy and bright. And...my 40D's shutter has been acting up again. :cry The original shutter was replaced in Sept '08, and now it's acting like it's going to give out at any moment. Sometimes it just won't click, and sometimes it acts like a point and shoot and has a delayed reaction. Boo! Either way, it may mean a missed shot. For some reason, it seems to do a bit better with the 50 1.4, so that's what I put on for this shoot. A 7D is sounding pretty nice right now!
    Elaine