Ocean Beach Pier, San Francisco

dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited July 24, 2010 in Landscapes
Wait, there is a pier in Ocean Beach? Well, the truth is, there isn't... but I did stumble upon some cool remains! This photo was taken yesterday near Fort Funston in San Francisco.

943763109_DzLd2-O.jpg

Taken with Canon 1DS MK II, 17-40L, ND8 filter and converted to black and white with Silver Efex.

Thanks for looking! :barb

Daniel Chui

Comments

• SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Nice!
    How long was it open?
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Really nice work dychui !

Processing looks very clean and your comp was really well thought out!

WallHANGERthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Nice!
    How long was it open?

Hey there!

Thanks for the feedback :). The photo was taken at around 6 PM. It was still relatively bright out so I had to stack my polarizer and my ND8 filter to get the motion blur in the water. I don't like doing that because it decreases image quality, but I'm still waiting to get my hands on a Lee Big Stopper.

I'm not sure what time Fort Funston closes, but the actual place I took the pictures is a little bit off the beaten trail. If you walk down the beach from Fort Funston, you will see in the distance the remains of the old pier. You can walk up to the edge of a rock face that separates the more "public" beach from a separate beach, further south.

You have to go up and around the rock formation (to the left) to get to the second part of the beach, where I didn't see a soul for the four hours that I was there.

Really great spot :)
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Laughing.gif, sorry, I ment the shutter.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Nice composition and I really like the B&W conversion.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Great shot!
    edited July 22, 2010
    Laughing.gif, sorry, I ment the shutter.

Ohhh! It was F18 for 1 second :).
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    That's just gorgeous. I love the lines the posts make in the front of the frame, as well as the back. The water just takes you're eyes right along the path of the posts and back around to the top right corner. My eyes naturally flows through the entire image then back around. Beautiful work.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Ditto to Candid's comment! My eye travels nicely through the image, and the treatment is stunning!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • 1downfall1downfall Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    really enjoyed viewing this shot. Love the feel of the water moving and simplistic yet defining conversion to B&W. well done imo
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    This is really beautiful. Nice, sober tone and wonderful movement. My only nitpic would be that there isn't a lot of detail in the sky. Maybe a different crop with less emphasis on it. Excellent job!
    edited July 23, 2010
    jamesl wrote: »
    This is really beautiful. Nice, sober tone and wonderful movement. My only nitpic would be that there isn't a lot of detail in the sky. Maybe a different crop with less emphasis on it. Excellent job!

Hey James, thanks for the feedback!! Actually, I already cropped out some of the sky. I actually agree with you :). I do like to leave some sky in for perspective's sake. The hard part is going to be finding a printable crop ratio for this image!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    James, no detail in the sky might be why this works so well..???ne_nau.gif
    I dont know but eitherway this image is someting to be proud ofthumb.gif

on second viewing I've started to notice the BG horizon (over the land portion...) is that a pole of some kind..? maybe a little spot brush work is needed??
    Aaron Nelson
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    This is just breathtaking and inspiring. A real case of seeing something new and worth capturing in a place that gets photographed the same way a million times.

You have some really great landscapes on your site. In particular, shooting the South Bay area from Skyline was on my to-do list this summer. But seeing those I might not bother. lol3.gif
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    WOW!!! Very very nice.
    edited July 23, 2010
    James, no detail in the sky might be why this works so well..???ne_nau.gif
    I dont know but eitherway this image is someting to be proud ofthumb.gif

on second viewing I've started to notice the BG horizon (over the land portion...) is that a pole of some kind..? maybe a little spot brush work is needed??

Hey Aaron, thanks so much for the feedback :). In fact, over the land portion is a flag, which is the area where hang-gliders leap off of. It's a small dot at that size, but should be viewable when blown up!
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    I echo all the above ...Well Done! excellent composition, excellent technique, excellent image. I suggest that a bit of dodge on the foreground waves may add a bit of contrast (drama) to the image making an already wonderful image just a bit better. (... at least it looks that way on my monitor.)

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    edited July 24, 2010
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    I echo all the above ...Well Done! excellent composition, excellent technique, excellent image. I suggest that a bit of dodge on the foreground waves may add a bit of contrast (drama) to the image making an already wonderful image just a bit better. (... at least it looks that way on my monitor.)

Gary

Hey Gary! THank you so much for your feedback. I'm going to take a look and see what it looks like if I bump the contrast a bit in the foreground :)
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010