Options

Tilt Shift

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited July 23, 2010 in Technique
Question: what makes a tilt shift shot look "tilt shift"? What give it the "minature" kind of feel to it? (either from a true TS lens or from post processing?)

Here is my stab at it: you can achieve thin DOF at distance.

When our eye looks at something close up..it naturally has thin DOF. Hold you hand up to your face at some min distance where it is in focus and look at it..things in the background blur. Switch your eye focus to the background...now your hand is a blur.

Now try doing this with objects at a distance. Nearer objects and further objects both have similar focus and switching where you looking doesn't effect thngs much.

If you look at minatures up close you see can definitely "see" this thin DOF work. But a cityscape..no way.

When you look at tilt shift photos..you can see blurred foreground and a blurred background EVEN at longer distances. So your eye is kinda fooled into thinking it is a minature. I can't really explain the physics behind it but I *think* this is the essense of tilt shiftyness (beside the the converging staright line application).

Have I got this right?
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments