Notre Dame Cathedral Paris - I Hope A Bit Different

BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited July 23, 2010 in Landscapes
Taken as dusk approached, I took another series even though my camera already had dozens - The light, shadows were slightly unusual and the clarity better than most days. Comments and thoughts welcome.

913678640_XgxBk-XL-2.jpg

Thanks in advance for your feedback, John
Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Brody wrote: »
    Please spare me the hairsplitting, nit-picking comments on rotation being off .30 of 1% CCW or other minute pedantic detail. I'm trying to learn and share and not get lost in minutiae... Thanks.
    Unfortunately, you bring it on yourself! In work of this quality, there is little scope for critical comment.
  • ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    That's a nice treatment of cathedral.

Sometimes though it's the minute pedantic detail that separates a great photo (and photographer) from the mundane.[FONT=&quot]
    <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    There are three or four comments I could make to help you, but I will spare you my silly talk... they are only of the most basic rules in photography, very hairsplitting.
    Aaron Nelson
  • RuiMLopesRuiMLopes Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    Really different, yes! Nice HDR!
    Rui
    D300, D200 coupled with some fine Nikon glass

My Smugmug galleries: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    I like it, but wish there was a sliver of sky above the cross.
  • BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    There are three or four comments I could make to help you, but I will spare you my silly talk... they are only of the most basic rules in photography, very hairsplitting.

Hi Aaron,

Then hairsplit a bit please Aaron, I want to learn. That's why I'm here... When I wrote that note you refer to, I was just feeling a bit hammered :cry.
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited July 23, 2010
    You take sarcasm very well, but you don't take straight forward C&C very well:D

Man let them hammer you! recognize their point, say thanks, and ask specific questions in which you are wondering about...dont lead off with a statment chastising people before they even speak...:D
    If you dont agree with the comment just let them know tactfully...

Honestly, I only had one thing I would point out with your image and that was framing. My post was mainly to just to be a smart ars.
    Are you doing anything right? Well of course you are, they are nice images, and your site looks really full of great work...
    Aaron Nelson
  • BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    To Sir Aaron:

Your wisdom and sage advice heeded - Chastising comment removed. When it was written, my keyboard was getting ruined from my weeping re: my horrid verticles failures.

To Sirs Simpson:

I know not of what you speak?? No Sliver of sky above cross? headscratch.gif Actually, you're quite right. It bugged the hell out of me too. Glad you mentioned it, I thought I was just being overly picky - Fixed using transform tool... I had been waiting for two hours for the sun to come out since the clouds were so nice, and I got distracted by a pretty french girl who started talking to me - I almost missed the shot completely, and the on tripod camera had settled down clipping the cross. The sun was gone 10 seconds later, never to return. Always a pretty girl...

Re: HDR in general:

It has HDR but with a twist. I'll describe in case anyone is curious. I start with the first shot (normal exposure) of the triplicate shot for HDR. I layer on the final HDR and reduce it's opacity, to 30% in this case, to kill the flaming glow that HDR too often has. Then I layer on a high structure linear B&W and lower it's opacity, to 13% in this case, to bring back some of the black lines and definition that HDR can wash out or cover with glow. This comment may fall into the 'Who Cares' category, just adding in case someone does and is curious.

Thanks for all your comments and feedback, John
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    Brody wrote: »
    I'll describe in case anyone is curious
    going to have to try that!
    edited July 23, 2010
    I've been Knighted:encore

I will have my subjects send you a new keyboard:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    I like it, but wish there was a sliver of sky above the cross.
    thumb.gif

Given the 'rules' set down, I resisted the temptation to say so previously!