Predation 1

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited July 24, 2010 in Holy Macro
Here are a couple of shots of a tangle Web Spider and a Crab Spider capturing prey.

Enoplognatha ovata
One of the tangle web spiders. So called because their webs are 3 dimensional unlike the traditional two dimensional webs constructed by other web spiders.

I first noted the beetle under a nettle leaf and found the following:

939739056_9C3Pv-L.jpg

http://www.imageinuk.com/Spiders-Araneae/Tangle-Web-Spider-Theridiidae/Enoplognatha-ovata/7184530/939739056_9C3Pv-L.jpg

The 3 dimensional construct of the web can be seen here. The spider's web strands are particularly sticky. The leaf beetle had the misfortune of getting entangled and the spider is now wrapping the beetle.

939077397_ifN7e-L.jpg

http://www.imageinuk.com/Spiders-Araneae/Tangle-Web-Spider-Theridiidae/Enoplognatha-ovata/7184531/939077397_ifN7e-L.jpg

I have turned the leaf over to enable a clearer shot.

Crab Spider ( Misumena vatia)

Like all crab spiders, this one does not create a web to capture prey. It hides amongst flowers until a visiting insect arrives for pollen and then pounces. It is also found in the USA and is capable of changing colour (white or yellow) to suit the colour of the flowers it is hunting in. This is not an instant change, it can take 7 days to complete.

943436948_oJnpq-L.jpg

http://www.imageinuk.com/Spiders-Araneae/Hunting-Spiders/Misumena-vatia/7214639/943436948_oJnpq-L.jpg

The spider has caught a Bee before it has a chance to escape.

943436084_MS6Xc-L.jpg

http://www.imageinuk.com/Spiders-Araneae/Hunting-Spiders/Misumena-vatia/7214638/943436084_MS6Xc-L.jpg

And now it brings it down to consume it. Note the serrations on the front pair of legs. These allow the spider to grip its prey.

Not too gory but examples of behaviour in the wild.

Thanks for looking

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 23, 2010
    good shots Peter, like the first 2 best.
    last frame looks oof.

the beetle will be a hard meal for the spider! rolleyes1.gif
    phil
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    good shots Peter, like the first 2 best.
    last frame looks oof.

the beetle will be a hard meal for the spider! rolleyes1.gif
    phil

Thanks phil and I agree #4 is oof. I have taken several shots and will see if I have a better replacement image - sorry, should have checked more closely before posting:cry

Love your quip re the beetlerolleyes1.gif
  • BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    Exc. behavioral sets, Peter! #2 in the first set is particularly nice.
    edited July 23, 2010
    Exc. behavioral sets, Peter! #2 in the first set is particularly nice.

Thank you and I agree with your choice.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    Lovely series of captures by all. Agree #4 is a bit back focused from the spider's head.
    You will be getting a quite a bit of diffraction softening at F20 but it's always a trade off of image sharpness vs DOF.
    Brian V.
    edited July 24, 2010
    Lovely series of captures by all. Agree #4 is a bit back focused from the spider's head.
    You will be getting a quite a bit of diffraction softening at F20 but it's always a trade off of image sharpness vs DOF.
    Brian V.

Thanks for your comments Brianthumb.gif.

I have read with great interest the article you put together and referred to in the 'My first Macro shot' thread. I am using the Sigma 150 DG Macro lens with a 1.4 converter between it and the camera. I believed this would increase my magnification factor. I am now wondering if I would be better off without the converter. What do you think?
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 24, 2010
    if you dont need the extra mag using the converter try without, the image quality of #2 is very good, lighting will make a bigger difference to overall quality.
    using the connverter will decrease image quality with having more glass in the way:D
    extension tubes will give better image quality,

i have never gone below f14, infact rarely use anything other than f8 for flash shooting.
    phil
    edited July 24, 2010
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    if you dont need the extra mag using the converter try without, the image quality of #2 is very good, lighting will make a bigger difference to overall quality.
    using the connverter will decrease image quality with having more glass in the way:D
    extension tubes will give better image quality,

i have never gone below f14, infact rarely use anything other than f8 for flash shooting.
    phil

Thank you Phil. I shall try without the converter today (when I take the dog for a walkmwink.gif) and also increase the aperture size. I shall look into extension tubes later. Glad I joined this forumthumb.gif.