Traveling In Very High Style

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited July 28, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Well, you didn't really expect me to stay away from cars very long....did you?

This beauty is a 1933 Lincoln KB Convertible Coupe. Even though the Great Depression was in full swing, Edsel Ford was determined that Lincoln would be a leader in the coach-built market. This particular car reflects that commitment. It is powered by a 448 C.I. V-12 putting out 150 HP. All of the 1933 models had a host of upgrades from the prior models. This version even had an early system of power brakes. I find the placement of the outside mirrors to be fairly unique.

945649592_uG6bS-XL.jpg

945649431_vZR7A-XL.jpg

945649723_CEngf-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    Nice Tom,

Even a rumble seat thumb.gif
    Randy
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    Nope. Didn't expect that at'tall :D Been watching for em and here they are.
    Excellent auto. Very high style indeed. Love this color of blue and all the
    trimmings in accent. Once again its nice to admire these autos via your lens.
    Looking for more to follow. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Michael
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    Beautiful shots, Tom. thumb.gif

Actually, the placement of the mirrors on the dual spares was quite common back then. For instance, look at the Packard beyond the Lincoln in the first image. It was actually rare for coachbuilders to mount the mirrors on the body. Part of the reason was that the canvas tops would obscure rearward vision, which would force body-mounted mirrors to be on the ends of very long posts that were too easily broken and, generally speaking, didn't look very good.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    Hey Randy,

I don't know if that was a rumble seat or just a traditional trunk. What's really interesting is that ancillary trunk, which was a not uncommon requirement in those days on certain body styles.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited July 24, 2010
    Hi Michael,

I'm happy you find this old iron as fascinating as I do. It's not my intent to present these cars in an artsy fashion. I want to share my views of them as they really are....maybe not artistically exciting but providing an honest look at some rolling history of cherished times gone by.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    edited July 24, 2010
    Hey Lee,

I really savor the times you can jump in and add your expertise and/or comments. You very correctly state the situation about the mirrors.As you point out, the Packard in the background has a similar arrangement. Of importance, though, note that the mirrors on the Packard are " hard " attached to the cover-case for the spare, which is also metal. I can't remember seeing very many situations where the mirrors were attached by straps to the spare. Certainly, there had to be other cases where this was done, but I just don't think it was very common. This issue would be an interesting one for a little research.

Be well my friend,

Tom
    edited July 24, 2010
    Thank you, Tom.

Hard mounting the mirrors was done on steel wheel covers, whereas the straps were used on cloth or no covers. I've seen both on many occasions, although I can't recall having seen straps on steel wheel covers. I may have, but probably haven't.

This Lincoln has a rumble seat. Note the step above the tail light on the right rear fender and another on the bumper below the same light. That is also the reason for the auxiliary trunk. Although, since the auxiliary trunk was an extra option, one could always get one with a standard trunk or go with no trunk at all, even with a rumble seat.

And in case anyone is wondering, the small door on the right side was intended for one thing and one thing only: Golf clubs. mwink.gif

FORE!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    Hey Randy,

I don't know if that was a rumble seat or just a traditional trunk. What's really interesting is that ancillary trunk, which was a not uncommon requirement in those days on certain body styles.

Tom

I just thought it was due to the steps on the bumper and fender. All rumble seats I've seen had those also.

What kind of storage is that on the passenger side panel, behind the door?
    Randy
    edited July 24, 2010
    rwells wrote: »
    I just thought it was due to the steps on the bumper and fender. All rumble seats I've seen had those also.

What kind of storage is that on the passenger side panel, behind the door?

You're right about the steps, Randy.

To answer your question of the small door on the side, see my post above yours. Cars with standard trunks did not have that door, because one could simply slide them in when the truck was open.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

edited July 24, 2010
    Lee,

Like you and Randy, I've always assumed that the presence of those steps at the rear of the car indicated that there was a rumble seat present. I once saw a car that had these steps but had no rumble seat....it had a traditional trunk. Upon query, the owner/ exhibitor said the car was ordered that way to accommodate easier access to the trunk when large or heavier items were stored there. Seeking to draw upon your knowledge, my question is this: would a fair number of cars have been appointed this way for the same reason or do you think the one case I saw was a rare exception? If it were my car, I'd want the steps for either use.

Your observation about the smaller access door being for golf clubs is interesting. That point probably does indicate that this car had the rumble seat.

It's all fascinating stuff, isn't it.

Tom
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    I always enjoy your pics, Tom - thanks for sharing!

Just to add my 2c…

I've noticed the mirrors on straps and hard-mounted (see some of my Car Shows) - there's also a number of examples of cars with steps to access the rumble seats. Back in the early 2000s local clubs started to organize an event at Castle Hill (here on the Right Coast) which was hoped eventually to rival the annual Pebble Beach event on the Left Coast, but for some reason it petered out and the last one was in 2002; bit of a shame, as there were some fabulous cars at Castle Hill (I'm thinking in particular of Tom Derro's 1933 Custom Silver Arrow, and a brand-newly-restored 1925 Voisin)

Hope you don't mind me dropping the links in here - I'll delete if you think them too forward…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited July 24, 2010
    Hi Wil,

I post these shots for those of us who love cars. You're always welcome to chime in with your thoughts, opinions, comments, links....or anything else that fosters the passion we share. We can all learn intersting things from others....the more dialog the better.

Take care,

Tom
    edited July 25, 2010
    Tom.
    I can only think of a couple of reasons to have those steps with a standard trunk: Reaching over your cargo with a tie-down or inserting or removing your cargo. Both scenarios bring images of one losing his balance while performing either task, because the feet are limited in movement.

The standard trunk is hinged at the top, so there's really only one question: 1) How big of an item can one get into that trunk that requires getting above it for any reason?

So for reasons of balance, I can't see any reason to have the steps with a standard trunk. I think what you saw was an exception to the rule.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

edited July 25, 2010
    Lee,

I think you're correct on this point.....your reasoning makes sense. Most likely, the one example I saw was an isolated one. I'm curious about another thing that relates to this subject: Would there have been designs along these lines that allowed for easy convertibility from one use to another? In other words, could a trunk model be converted to a rumble seat model and back again....depending on the owners needs? In that case, you would obviously need removable seats. In addition, the hinging requirements of the lid would have to change. That situation would certainly not have been the norm, but I wonder if any manufacturer ever offered such a feature.

Tom
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    What is it about vintage cars... that are so beautiful?
    Nice to see your pictures of them...again!
    edited July 25, 2010
    Hi Eia,

It's nice to hear from you. You raise a question that I've often contemplated myself.....just what is it that I find so compelling about these vintage cars?

Certainly, they have very sensuous curves. Many present a study in angles that's fascinating. Common to most, they have a simplicity of design that speaks to being honest and forthright in nature. Their mechanical features are often very visible and easily appreciated. But the real attraction for me, I think, goes beyond their dynamics of design. There's something in their totality that whisks me off to times of grandeur, elegance, and even adventure. I believe, in a sense, that they represent to me a sort of magic carpet that can take me places and show me things I have never known.

Be well,

Tom
    edited July 28, 2010
    Lee,

I'm curious about another thing that relates to this subject: Would there have been designs along these lines that allowed for easy convertibility from one use to another? In other words, could a trunk model be converted to a rumble seat model and back again....depending on the owners needs? In that case, you would obviously need removable seats. In addition, the hinging requirements of the lid would have to change. That situation would certainly not have been the norm, but I wonder if any manufacturer ever offered such a feature.

Tom

I, personally, have neither seen nor heard of anyone offering any such arrangement. Certainly not from a manufacturer. Whether or not an aftermarket firm may have offered one, I haven't the foggiest (yes, I saw your new picture. thumb.gif). An interesting idea, nonetheless.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Beautiful car .. I wonder what it was like to drive:D Well done.. Tom
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    That is a sweet ride indeed.
    Love the whitewall tires and funny place for a spare.

Thanks for sharing.
    Liz A.
    _________