ISO Point-and-Shoot Recommendations

capitoljayhawkcapitoljayhawk Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited July 27, 2010 in Cameras
I am looking for a recommendation for a new point-and-shoot camera for my parents. Think mostly travel shots, family shots, etc.

I only shoot DSLR, and my wife hates her Panasonic Lumix -- so she and I are no help.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.gaslightphoto.com

Beginning smugmugger.

Comments

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    I am looking for a recommendation for a new point-and-shoot camera for my parents. Think mostly travel shots, family shots, etc.

I only shoot DSLR, and my wife hates her Panasonic Lumix -- so she and I are no help.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

The Lumix FZ-30 was my first step above point and shoot. I personally loved it and still have no problems using it if I have an SLR emergency with the features it's got. It was an extremely good camera with manual focus and zoom rings. (other lumix are icky)

Anyway, whats your price point? And do they want a tiny pocket camera or anything goes?

For pocket stuff a Canon SD1300 or SD1200 IS is a very good credit card sized camera with a great picture for its size and price. At about $250-325 depending where you shop, the Sony DSC-HX5V, Canon SX210 or Panasonic TZ10 make really good cameras. They are pocket size super zoom cameras that can do a bit of everything. The Sony is minimal no-brainer picture taking with no manual controls (the web site says it does but you can only choose 2 f-stops) and the Canon/Panasonic have full manual controls along with nobrainer modes. The SX210 is quite slow at taking pictures but it takes the best quality photos (I have one) The panasonic takes the worst photos (professionally speaking) but for general use it doesn't really matter.

Oh and the Sony and Panasonic have an integrated GPS tracking. The sony is a pain to use as it takes 2 minutes or so to get a signal EVERY time you turn the camera back on. The panasonic has a quick-sync mode that makes it much easier and 10-20 seconds to sync. I'd either get the Canon or the Panasonic.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 24, 2010
    I am very fond of the FuijiFilm FinePix "F" series cameras and recently recommended the F80EXR for a P&S camera. It has pretty good basic modes and a couple of really nice advanced modes (if you should get hold of the camera. thumb.gif)

The basic EXR mode is 12 MPix but there are better cameras for basic operation and with that MPix count.

The DR mode drops to 6 MPix, still plenty for most snap shooters, but there is a definite improvement in dynamic range for shooting in difficult, contrasty lighting. The 12 MPix are split into 2 matrices, each with a different exposure priority, one matrix for shadow detail and the other matrix for highlights. The 2 matrices are combined to form the 6 MPix image with extended DR.

SN mode is also at 6 MPix but "bins" or normalizes the 12 MPix into 6 MPix to reduce noise levels at high ISOs.

Add in a couple of advanced modes like Pro Focus mode, which uses multiple exposures at different focus points and then combines the exposures to "reduce" apparent DOF. (This effect only succeeds some of the time. When it does work it's similar to what you can do in Photoshop with masking and blurring background layers; not perfect but not too bad either.)

Then Pro Low-Light mode combines multiple exposures to really reduce the effects of high-ISO noise. (Works best on a tripod and with static/stationary subjects, but it does work.)

Finally, if you ever used Fuji's film, there are processing simulations for Provia, Velvia and Astia.

Currently $235USD at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-F80EXR-Digital-3-0-Inch/dp/B0035WTVQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280019507&sr=8-1
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    The just-announced Panasonic LX5 is the best spec'd point-n-shoot camera ever, imo, check it out. Otherwise if HD movies are not desired, and they want something even smaller with more reach, I'd say Canon S90.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    The just-announced Panasonic LX5 is the best spec'd point-n-shoot camera ever, imo, check it out. Otherwise if HD movies are not desired, and they want something even smaller with more reach, I'd say Canon S90.

Isn't the S90 only 1-4x optical?
    edited July 26, 2010
    Isn't the S90 only 1-4x optical?

3.75x. 28-105mm. So not a lot more "reach", but 15mm more than the LX5. If they want more reach than that, they will be sacrificing either some speed, some wideangle, some portability, or all three.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    I recently picked up a fujifilm XP. one of the tiny waterproof, shockproof, dustproof cameras. Like the Olympus tough series.

I love the little bugger. Picture quality is fine for family snapshots and running around the beach. great thing is running around in the water with the kids I can just keep it strapped to wrist as it goes in and out of the water. Then when it gets covered in sand I just wash it off at home. It is also tough enough to let my kids use it a bit. My youngest threw it this morning, no worries.

I am throwing this in the mix because while the picture quality is only mediocre it is small enough to have all the time and easy enough to use that my two year old was snapping away.
    edited July 27, 2010
    For "tough" cameras, the Panasonic TS1 won dpreview's shoot out. I have one, it's nice.
    -Jack