Stacking Rocks

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited July 27, 2010 in Landscapes
I see this a lot and thought I would try it. Not prefessional, but I liked how it turned out.

946012451_UmoHu-L.jpg

What's interesting is behind the rocks, you can see a trout's fin sticking out of the water. It is so hot here, they are trying to get upstream to a small cooler spring and are stacked up in the mouth of the stream.

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    Maybe rotated a bit:

946031845_x2pRY-L.jpg
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Hey Z
    Nice stacking job!
    The blown out highlights are competing pretty strongly with the focal point unfortunately. Is there any way to tone those down? A shallower DOF might have helped keep the focus on the fruits of your labor as well
    E
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Shallower depth of field would make this shot 100% better IMO. It will make your rock stack stand out from the background as the main subject. Cool idea though. I see that little fin there too. Cool! I hope you caught some of those suckers. Those rock stacks are all over the place here in the desert as trail markers. Sometimes they are pretty elaborate. I have even seen an arch.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 27, 2010
    Z, did you stack those? If so, impressive job! How tall is that stack?
  • liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Re: Stacking Rocks
    I think that type of rock stack as a trail marker is called a 'cairn.'

LiflanderPhotography.com