How to clean Salt spray off of the UV Filters?

98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited July 26, 2010 in Cameras
Ok, So I took my camera to the beach the other day, and I need to clean the salt spray off of the UV protection clear filter that I have on the end of my lens??

Do I just wipe it off with a lens clothe?

Can I take it off and run it under water??

What should I do?

Thanks
Nikon D3000
Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 25, 2010
    Can you take it off and run it under water? Yes (the filter, not the lens)

Did the camera body and lens get salt spray as well?
  • 98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    captain78 wrote: »
    Can you take it off and run it under water? Yes (the filter, not the lens)

Did the camera body and lens get salt spray as well?

HAHA I would never put my lens under water. sorry if that wasnt clear.

well the camera was exposed to the elements, but no salt spray, or sand got in the camera itself or into the lens. Just really on the outside of the camera and filter.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    Salt from the spray may have crystallized on the filter. You really don't want to just rub it. I'm thinking take if off the lens, run it under some medium warm water to dissolve the salt then clean it as you normally would. Let it air dry for a while as there will most likely be water trapped between the mounting ring and the glass.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    Oh come on, it's fun to wash off your kit in front of others when it's sealed and they don't know.

3883912325_8babc273e7_o.gif
    I sat and watched the spot where I stood for about twenty minutes and not a drop. I take that series and what do you know, I got hit with a bigger splash than the one I shot. People jaws all around me dropped, more so when I gave my kit a bath with about a ½ gallon of water.

Not trying to TJ it just makes me laugh with the reactions I've gotten from onlookers in the past, I've done it more than a handful of times and it keeps getting funnier every time.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 25, 2010
    98olds wrote: »
    HAHA I would never put my lens under water. sorry if that wasnt clear.

well the camera was exposed to the elements, but no salt spray, or sand got in the camera itself or into the lens. Just really on the outside of the camera and filter.

I really can't understand how the filter got wet but not the lens itself or the camera body. Anyway just pull the filter off and wash it in warm water then let it dry before putting it back on the lens.
    Good luck. Lets see the photos you shot at the beach!
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    One of the function of the UV filter is to protect the expensive coating of the front glass of the lens.

The filter can be clean with running water and soft cloth. If it dry up, just soap in the water for a bit longer.

My wife got an ultrasonic cleaning bath at home for her accessoriesne_nau.gif, it seems useful after I had my shooting on the beach.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/