Bad Moon Rising

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited July 26, 2010 in Landscapes
The full moon rising over Red Pine Lake in Little Cottonwood Canyon outside of Salt Lake City UT. We backpacked up there to spend the night and do some fishing the other day. This lake is just below 10,000ft in the Lone Peak Wilderness area. It is full of Cutthroat trout and I managed to catch a few of them that night.

I shot this with my 10.5 fisheye with a 150second exposure. I used my gorillapod clenched onto a rock as my triopd.
Here are 3 different versions of the same shot. Not sure which I like best. The original is appealing because you can tell that it is dark. Possibly the others are too bright?

What do you guys think?

1. Fully tweaked
946972771_VBJbC-L.jpg

2. 2:1 Crop
946972131_A8PFN-L.jpg

3. JPEG straight out of the camera
946071959_VbALt-L.jpg

4. Here is a dark one.
947934072_YEGS9-L-1.jpg

Mostly just a WB shift to bring the blue up instead of the warm yellow. But, this NEF/RAW file has taken a ton of work to get to the level of the JPEG right from the camera. Which brings me back to my reason for shooting RAW+JPEG for most things, and just JPEG for motorcycle events now. The truth is Nikon has done an incredible job with its JPEG processing in camera. But still to get the most tweaking, RAW is it. I like to use the JPEG as a reference.

Comments

• dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »
    The full moon rising over Red Pine Lake in Little Cottonwood Canyon outside of Salt Lake City UT. We backpacked up there to spend the night and do some fishing the other day. This lake is just below 10,000ft in the Lone Peak Wilderness area. It is full of Cutthroat trout and I managed to catch a few of them that night.

I shot this with my 10.5 fisheye with a 150second exposure. I used my gorillapod clenched onto a rock as my triopd.
    Here are 3 different versions of the same shot. Not sure which I like best. The original is appealing because you can tell that it is dark. Possibly the others are too bright?

What do you guys think?

1. Fully tweaked
    946972771_VBJbC-L.jpg

2. 2:1 Crop
    946972131_A8PFN-L.jpg

3. JPEG straight out of the camera
    946071959_VbALt-L.jpg

I love it....great shotclap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    The original, unaltered version is definitely my fave. Fully tweaked makes it look like the rising sun, not the moon. The 2:1 crop isn't bad, but I prefer the full frame, with all of the interesting rocks in the foreground.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    I agree with Willcad, #3 is my fav as it looks more natural for a moonrise shot.thumb.gif

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Added a dark one to the set.

Better?? Or is the JPEG still the best?
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    I'm partial to the first one (but then again, I'm currently in a 'cooked'/'tweaked' mood with my shots). I like that the shot looks like it was in daylight but then you start noticing the stars and realize what is going on. Nice job with all of them
    E