Options

Monopods and airline security...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited July 27, 2010 in Accessories
Will airline security (TSA and airlines) let you take a monopod as a carry-on item? I'm looking at purchase of one that's 27" closed length.

Thx!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Will airline security (TSA and airlines) let you take a monopod as a carry-on item? I'm looking at purchase of one that's 27" closed length.

Thx!

Are taking a duffel or suitcase that it can fit in....I carry my cams on but the pods go in the case with the clothes......Why take the chance that the TSA will say it doesn't and then there is no guarantee it be waiting for you when you return,,,,,,
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 25, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Are taking a duffel or suitcase that it can fit in....I carry my cams on but the pods go in the case with the clothes......Why take the chance that the TSA will say it doesn't and then there is no guarantee it be waiting for you when you return,,,,,,

No, going with just a carry-on and my yet-to-be-purchased camera backpack. I'll poke around the TSA site and see what I can come up with next...

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    M38A1 wrote: »
    No, going with just a carry-on and my yet-to-be-purchased camera backpack. I'll poke around the TSA site and see what I can come up with next...

Remember it is almost totally at the discretion of each TSA agent as to what is classified as a weapon or dangerous ......I know it sucks but a friend of mine had carefully packed her duffel's and after the TSA agent searched them he could not get all of her belongings back in and he would not let me nor her repack....she had to leave behind 5 pairs of cross country running shoes and other clothes and gifts for her family and these bags were going as checked baggage........We have never had any sort of incident here.........

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    I take an entire tripod strapped to my tamrac backpack on the plane. I keep the mount on the camera and they have no problems with it. An agent once told me to make sure the pointy side of the mount wasn't visible or they'd have a fit.

On a weird sidenote, harry potter wands are totally okay with TSA lol.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2010
    Thanks for the input..... I decided to just not take one as I didn't like the option of possibly donating it to TSA on a whim.
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    There is always good 'ol UPS or similar, if you're traveling domestic. I've shipped things ahead to my hotel when I had too much to pack in luggage.

Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.