Will this lens work with Nikon D3000

98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited July 25, 2010 in Cameras
Ok, I have this lens from my Grandfathers old Nikon EM Slr

Will it work with my Nikon D3000 DSLR?

Thanks for any info anyone can give me.

This is what is written on the lens:
Nikon Lens Series E 50mm 1:1.8 2864109

Sorry I am not able to post a pic of it, it will not let me.
Nikon D3000
Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS

Comments

• operknockityoperknockity Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 25, 2010
    Series E lenses will "work" on all Nikon bodies. However, they are manual focus lenses so no auto-focus, and will not meter on your body. But you can still manually focus them and will have to use manual metering mode and make educated guesses as to correct exposure.
  • 98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    Series E lenses will "work" on all Nikon bodies. However, they are manual focus lenses so no auto-focus, and will not meter on your body. But you can still manually focus them and will have to use manual metering mode and make educated guesses as to correct exposure.

ok Great!!

So i take it if the camera body is on the "Auto" setting it will not take a photo? because the lens does not auto focus?
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • operknockityoperknockity Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 25, 2010
    98olds wrote: »
    ok Great!!

So i take it if the camera body is on the "Auto" setting it will not take a photo? because the lens does not auto focus?

Haven't a clue as I do not own any, nor have I used any, non-AF lenses. Just try it and see what happens. I don't think you are going to hurt the body.
  • Hawk114Hawk114 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 25, 2010
    The nice thing about the Nikon "F" mount system is that any lens will mount to any camera within the system. As Howard pointed out, not all will operate with all the automatic features, but they will mount and they will work manually.

If you want autofocus, you need a lens that has the motor built into it. Those lenses will have an AF-S designation. I learned this the hard way when I was on a trip with a compact zoom I had just bought used and put it on a new D60. Neither the D60 or the lens had the autofocus motor, hence I had no auto focusing. Not knowing about this, I spent a frustrating hour thinking either the lens or the camera was broken.

How quickly we get used to the bells and whistles.