21st Century Farming

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited July 27, 2010 in Landscapes
The new Milton Keynes Wind Farm, due on line next month, comprises 7 wind turbines each 125m high at the tip. When active it is claimed they will produce enough power to run 8,000 homes. Took a walk to see then today - impressive structures.

C&C always appreciated.

947173029_uaZgw-L-1.jpg

947164101_rCY7a-L-1.jpg

947160584_x5FAR-L-1.jpg

#4 "Ready when you are Mr Quixote"
947169539_KACwn-L-1.jpg
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    I like the first shot - nice perspective.
    Hope you get a chance to shoot these once they start moving - that might make for some really cool shots!
    E
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Interesting shots. But at 125m tall, roughly 394 feet or roughly the length of one and a third football fields, I'm wishing I could get a better sense of scale.

I saw a mini documentary on these things a while back and men have to climb to the outside of the tops to do periodic maintenance. They actually climb up the inside then go through a door to the outside. My knees were shaking just watching it on TV.

Nice shots though.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    eoren1 wrote: »
    I like the first shot - nice perspective.
    Hope you get a chance to shoot these once they start moving - that might make for some really cool shots!
    E
    Thanks E.
    They are due on line in August/September and are currently in the testing phase - all ready to go but with the brakes preventing it.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Interesting shots. But at 125m tall, roughly 394 feet or roughly the length of one and a third football fields, I'm wishing I could get a better sense of scale.

I saw a mini documentary on these things a while back and men have to climb to the outside of the tops to do periodic maintenance. They actually climb up the inside then go through a door to the outside. My knees were shaking just watching it on TV.

Nice shots though.
    Thanks Chuck.
    I was hoping for something to give the sense of size you get when you see them in person but they are some distance from anything to provide scale.

Here are a couple of bad shots that help with the scale.
    The turbines are a good 1/3 - 1/2 mile behind this farm (I couldn't get a better position as it is down a private & gated road.)
    949279165_4XaSv-L.jpg

If you look closely at the base of the nearest tower in #4 you can see the steps leading in to the tower. Here is a crop.
    949188985_5A2eW-L.jpg
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Peter - Interesting story. I like the first shot, both for the perspective you chose and because the turbine blades and the wheat sheafs have similar angles. I also like #2 for the unexpected green color in the road--the road also leads me into the shot some. Nice!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com