Springs Tour

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited July 30, 2010 in Landscapes
A buddy wanted to show me Boulder Springs, an obscure place in the hills near my home. So we took my Jeep and went looking for it. After many miles of dirt trails and open desert, we finally found it.

Boulder Springs
946387198_qgScq-XL.jpg

Not sure why they call it Boulder Springs, because there's not a spring in site. :rofl
946394397_vp9nC-XL.jpg

On the way out we decided to go down a wash instead of looking for a trail to go to our next destination.
946343611_MoCDk-XL.jpg

I had a feeling we were being watch.
946345105_8VQ6B-XL.jpg

Next we went to a place called Dripping Springs. It's a remote area, but in the distance we saw a camp and decided to investigate. The first thing you have to wonder is does anybody live here? :huh
946402071_XTbXc-XL.jpg

We knocked, no answer, so we went cautiously inside to investigate. The calendar on the wall was from 1994, and the only inhabitants of this place since were rodents. Here's the view looking away from the camper. Another abandoned camp can be seen in the distance.
946755101_UwPVf-XL.jpg

That's a grill made from a beer keg. Somebody had put a lot of effort into the camp. There are ham and short wave radio antennas. We later tracked down the owner from bill in the camper, and it turned out he had died just a few months ago at the age of 66. So sad. :cry We want to know more about him.

A pack of wild burros came over to investigate.
946785198_bFCDZ-XL.jpg
The burros were originally brought over from Spain by miners, but then abandoned along with their mines when the money ran out. The burros are wild now and thrive in this harsh climate on their own. Curiously, some burros flee when they see people, and others come over to investigate.

Made a note to self to carry carrots next time.
946781808_L77KK-XL.jpg

Next we went looking for Fig Springs, and came across this. Now, I'm used to finding weird stuff in the desert, but I was unprepared for this. A very serviceable but old fire engine parked out in the middle of nowhere. :scratch
946420938_zSdyu-XL.jpg

After a brief but insanely hot hike (110F), we said bye to the burros and called it a day.
946761769_2Bv3n-XL.jpg

946749718_ssxiX-XL.jpg

All landscape shots taken with the Canon D90 Powershot. Burro shots were shot with the Canon 40D and 100-400mm zoom.

Thanks for looking.
-joel

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Very cool series of shots Joel.

Like the first shot and the burros.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Wow Joel, that's quite a trip..with lots of sights it seems! That white burro has got to be pregnant.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Great series - not sure what it is about the second shot but it makes the Jeep look like a toy!
    E
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Great story, Joel!! Had to read it twice and liked it more the second time. I wonder if the fire engine was stolen? Perhaps you should report it to the state troopers? Just a thought.

Fun stuff!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 27, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Very cool series of shots Joel.

Like the first shot and the burros.
    Thanks, Aaron.
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Wow Joel, that's quite a trip..with lots of sights it seems! That white burro has got to be pregnant.
    Thanks, Natalie. Yep, lots to see how this way. You're probably right about the white one being pregnant. I thought it was just fat. :D
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Great series - not sure what it is about the second shot but it makes the Jeep look like a toy!
    E
    Thanks, E. Yeah, isn't that funny the way it looks like a matchbox toy in that shot.
    redleash wrote: »
    Great story, Joel!! Had to read it twice and liked it more the second time. I wonder if the fire engine was stolen? Perhaps you should report it to the state troopers? Just a thought.

Fun stuff!

Lauren
    Thanks, Lauren! Glad you liked the pics and story. The fire engine's been there for quite a evidently. The markings were odd on it too, some generic fire department name. I'm guessing it was purchased to be used by a private fire department that never got off the ground.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Great post Joel. I love the burro shots, but the whole journey is fascinating clap.gifclap
  • JustPeachy2JustPeachy2 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    I see why Boulder Springs got it's name. Did you check your vehicle to see if you still had some?!! Enjoyed your photos; what a great arm chair tour! JustPeachy2
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    I'm guessing it was purchased to be used by a private fire department that never got off the ground./QUOTE]

Joel - That makes sense too; or maybe it was used for training and isn't needed anymore. BTW, I love the desert from my couple of summers in the Mojave. THere is such unexpected beauty in those places.

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    The fire engine is quite intriguing.....I'd like to tow it out of there for a cool resto project!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Boulder Springs
    946387198_qgScq-S.jpg

-joel

Nothing like some rocks to put things in perspective:D

Cool shots man! And I still love that Jeep!
    Aaron Nelson
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Great post!! I enjoyed the story and the photos.

Sam
  • ckasparckaspar Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    The trailer shot looks like a scene from "Kill Bill Vol. 2"! Laughing.gif

Great series of pics!
  • ckasparckaspar Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Sorry, Duplicate post!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    The movie "Tremors" come to my mind! :) I absolutely love these kinds of finds and I think your photos show the landscape and travels well! I would really want to know more about that perfectly fine fire truck. The burros are soooo sweet!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 29, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Great post Joel. I love the burro shots, but the whole journey is fascinating clap.gifclap
    Thanks, Dan! It's a pretty interesting area. nod.gif
    I see why Boulder Springs got it's name. Did you check your vehicle to see if you still had some?!! Enjoyed your photos; what a great arm chair tour! JustPeachy2
    Thanks Peachy. :D The springs on the vehicle are brand new. They better still be good! :uhoh rolleyes1.gif Glad you enjoyed the tour.
    redleash wrote: »
    Joel - That makes sense too; or maybe it was used for training and isn't needed anymore. BTW, I love the desert from my couple of summers in the Mojave. THere is such unexpected beauty in those places.

Cheers,
    Lauren
    Thanks again, Lauren. I agree. I'm so lucky to have all of this in my backyard.
    Nikonic1 wrote: »
    The fire engine is quite intriguing.....I'd like to tow it out of there for a cool resto project!
    Thanks Nikonic. You could try to tow it out of there if nobody shoots you. :wow Seriously there are some real nuts jobs out there. On the other hand, there is a surprising lack of looting in the backcountry given how remote it is. Anybody caught looting probably would get shot and that's no joke.
    Nothing like some rocks to put things in perspective:D

Cool shots man! And I still love that Jeep!
    Thanks, Aaron! The Jeep is getting better all the time. Definitely not the same Jeep that you saw last time. mwink.gif
    Sam wrote: »
    Great post!! I enjoyed the story and the photos.

Sam

Hi Sam. wave.gif Thanks and I'm glad you like the post.
    ckaspar wrote: »
    The trailer shot looks like a scene from "Kill Bill Vol. 2"! Laughing.gif

Great series of pics!
    Haha, that's my wife's favorite movie. Thanks and glad you like the shots.
    Eia wrote: »
    The movie "Tremors" come to my mind! :) I absolutely love these kinds of finds and I think your photos show the landscape and travels well! I would really want to know more about that perfectly fine fire truck. The burros are soooo sweet!
    Thanks, Eia! So many mysteries in the desert, isn't there? And yes, I love the burros as well. iloveyou.gif I'd love to adopt all of them. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • E ColbyE Colby Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Joel,
    It's always great seeing a Jeep out having fun. I drive a Patriot now, but really miss my Wrangler. After 10 yrs it was time to retire it. Great series and photos. Thanks for sharing the story of your day.
    Cheers,
    Colby
    "Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn't photogenic." Edward Weston
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    a whole lot of places with "springs" in the name, and nary a drop in sight... why is it that so many places in the SW are named "___ Springs"? wishful thinking? in any case, looks like you had a fun day... wish we had places like that to go exploring up here. alas, the closest i can get to "off road" is on the forest service roads up in the mountains... everything else is so heavily wooded that you couldn't get a TANK through it, much less anything on wheels...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com