Revised Macro settings

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited July 31, 2010 in Holy Macro
Hi all,

Following my last post and the comments made, I have now removed the 1.4 converter and also opened up the aperture to f10 (was f20).

I would appreciate any comments on these images with the Sigma 150mm DG Macro. I am still using auto focus (C-AF) on the camera to take into account slight movement when depressing the shutter. Shutter speed is mainly 1/250s when the flash is used.

Pyrausta purpuralis

946495340_43Uaq-XL.jpg

946495544_sVKVV-XL.jpg

Burnet Moths (
Zygaenidae sp)

946531902_4bfye-XL.jpg
Empty pupae case and paper-like cocoon.

946532223_5DfGE-XL.jpg

6 Spot Burnets

Cuckoo Bee (Bombus rupestris)

946542401_VHFbh-XL.jpg

Marmalade Fly (Episyrphus balteatus)

946646433_6LZWY-XL.jpg

Syrphus vitripennis

946672170_sdRLM-XL-2.jpg

I intend to get extension tubes to increase magnification rather than the converter as recommended on here. I realise that I shall have to go for manual focus with these although there is a version with AF assist. Aperture settings may become a problem. Does anyone have a comment on this please?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 26, 2010
    much better, alot sharper. #2 best composition and lighting

#2 and last frame best.
    lighting looks like needs more diffusion , the burnet moths are very difficult even with natural light.

phil
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    much better, alot sharper. #2 best composition and lighting

#2 and last frame best.
    lighting looks like needs more diffusion , the burnet moths are very difficult even with natural light.

phil

Thank you Philthumb.gif.

Thanks also for the advice that you and Brian gave to my other post.

I am using the Metz Ring Flash which has a diffuser as part of the kit. Should I modify the diffuser and, if so, what would you recommend?

Cheers
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Looking good- esp like #2.
    Brian V.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Thank you Philthumb.gif.

Thanks also for the advice that you and Brian gave to my other post.

I am using the Metz Ring Flash which has a diffuser as part of the kit. Should I modify the diffuser and, if so, what would you recommend?

Cheers

White office paper is quite a good add on diffuser that you can shape tape smash and crumple without worrying about it. There are some decent diffused sheet plastics as well but you cant really crumple that stuff without ruining it. If it's specifically for the ring light I'd get the plastics and cut out the exact shape you need to add a layer or 2 of diffusion. The only problem is that for the most effective diffusion, you need a larger light source, and that's hard to do since the ring light is in front of the lens and not above or on the side of it. The only thing I could think of would be a cone shape attachment to the the ring light to try and simulate a larger light source... although technically it would be reflected light the source would be uniform and bigger than the bug and should work the same way.

You are talking about an on-lens ring flash right? Or am I totally misenterpreting what you said? ne_nau.gif
  • BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Nice set, Peter!
    edited July 29, 2010
    Looking good- esp like #2.
    Brian V.

Thank you. It's been good to get the encouragement on here and I too think these are much better.
    White office paper is quite a good add on diffuser that you can shape tape smash and crumple without worrying about it. There are some decent diffused sheet plastics as well but you cant really crumple that stuff without ruining it. If it's specifically for the ring light I'd get the plastics and cut out the exact shape you need to add a layer or 2 of diffusion. The only problem is that for the most effective diffusion, you need a larger light source, and that's hard to do since the ring light is in front of the lens and not above or on the side of it. The only thing I could think of would be a cone shape attachment to the the ring light to try and simulate a larger light source... although technically it would be reflected light the source would be uniform and bigger than the bug and should work the same way.

You are talking about an on-lens ring flash right? Or am I totally misenterpreting what you said? ne_nau.gif

Thanks for your advice. I have found that the camera built-in flash was providing unwanted in-fill illumination. I have applied a paper defuser as you suggest to the camera flash and I am pleased with the latest results.

Episyrphus balteatus

952017495_DgLc3-M.jpg

Link to larger image http://www.imageinuk.com/True-Flies-Diptera/Hover-Flies/Episyrphus-balteatus/7295040/952017495_DgLc3-XL.jpg

952017462_xJ4yZ-M.jpg

Link to larger image http://www.imageinuk.com/True-Flies-Diptera/Hover-Flies/Episyrphus-balteatus/7295039/952017462_xJ4yZ-XL.jpg

Melanostoma scalare

952019213_ejzi2-M.jpg

Link to larger image http://www.imageinuk.com/True-Flies-Diptera/Hover-Flies/Melanostoma-scalare/7295042/952019213_ejzi2-XL.jpg

952018411_aYVvD-M.jpg

Link to larger image http://www.imageinuk.com/True-Flies-Diptera/Hover-Flies/Melanostoma-scalare/7295041/952018411_aYVvD-XL.jpg

Nice set, Peter!

Thank you for your kind comments
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    I see the difference! The highlights are much less harsh and the lighting is even across the frame. Nice.
    edited July 31, 2010
    I see the difference! The highlights are much less harsh and the lighting is even across the frame. Nice.

Thanks. I have found yet another problem with my technique. I had not adjusted flash compensation which meant that I was getting far too much light onto reflective or light coloured subjects. I have re-adjusted my standard settings to -1/3 stop exposure (no change) and -1 stop flash compensation (was 0). I am now varying the latter setting to accomodate for the brightness of the subject. This should further reduce the harshness of the highlights. I shall post some examples on this thread tonight.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    Paper towel (I think a suggestion from Lord V) also works well as the top layer of a diffuser. My current diffusion is a sto-fen, topped by another piece of diffusing plastic cut from a $12 lumiquest (the differs for pop-up flashes), topped by two layers of paper towel. It is enough for most but not all shots.
    edited July 31, 2010
    paddler4 wrote: »
    Paper towel (I think a suggestion from Lord V) also works well as the top layer of a diffuser. My current diffusion is a sto-fen, topped by another piece of diffusing plastic cut from a $12 lumiquest (the differs for pop-up flashes), topped by two layers of paper towel. It is enough for most but not all shots.

Thanks for this extra infoclap.gif. I shall try this tomorrow and let you know how I get onthumb.gif.

This thread has proved really useful and I appreciate the time people have put in to help me.