Options

A magazine has asked to use my photos.

cooperfotocooperfoto Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited July 26, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey guys,

I have been asked by a magazine (Royal Wings, found on Royal Jordanian aircraft) to use some of my photos for an article they are writing. They have asked for a price list of my images, which I don't have yet.

What questions should I be asking them and what should I charge for this?

I am sure this has been covered some where in this thread but I am literally rushing out the door and was hoping to get a bit of information before I reply to their email.

Thanks for any help or advice you guys can offer.

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 26, 2010
    cooperfoto wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have been asked by a magazine (Royal Wings, found on Royal Jordanian aircraft) to use some of my photos for an article they are writing. They have asked for a price list of my images, which I don't have yet.

What questions should I be asking them and what should I charge for this?

I am sure this has been covered some where in this thread but I am literally rushing out the door and was hoping to get a bit of information before I reply to their email.

Thanks for any help or advice you guys can offer.

If you want to sound like a professional you ask:

What is the intended use? What is the method of distribution? What is the target demographic of their publication? What is their ISBN distribution filing?

Now, the reality is, as a layperson you don't really care about most of that info but distribution will give you a clue to the importance of the publication and your images contained within. The higher the number the more you want.

Give us more details and more information might be forthcoming. deal.gif

• Options
    cooperfotocooperfoto Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 26, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »
    If you want to sound like a professional you ask:

What is the intended use? What is the method of distribution? What is the target demographic of their publication? What is their ISBN distribution filing?

Now, the reality is, as a layperson you don't really care about most of that info but distribution will give you a clue to the importance of the publication and your images contained within. The higher the number the more you want.

Give us more details and more information might be forthcoming. deal.gif

I was able to find a similar thread and asked them similar questions as to what you suggested. Their magazine has a print run of 25,000 and it is distributed as the in-flight magazine. They are interested in a 1/2 page photo to accompany an article on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Another thread had a nifty calculator for ball-parking charges based on use, etc which helped out a lot.

Thanks for the advice Angelo.
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    I have the exact same situation with a high end life style magazine in Israel with a circulation of 40,000.

Can you post the links to the posts you mentioned? They'll probably answer a lot of my questions.

Thanks.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged