Options

Nikon D70 - no flash

travcattravcat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited September 8, 2005 in Technique
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the automatic flash on my D70 when I'm in auto mode. I guess I am dense, but I have been reading the maual for an hour and I can't figure it out! :dunno
thanks!

Catherine

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Catherine,
    travcat wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the automatic flash on my D70 when I'm in auto mode. I guess I am dense, but I have been reading the maual for an hour and I can't figure it out! ne_nau.gif
    thanks!

Catherine
    I don't know nikons much, but my experience with other brands tells me that you can't control flash behavour in automatic modes.

Sorry, you need to move in P mode at least to gain some control..

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 25, 2005
    I think you are probably correct. I know when you shoot Canon 10D or 20D or 300D in the automatic modes you do not get to control flash, ISO, or exposure. Switch to Av or Tv, Manual or Program and you will probably get control of the flash back.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    travcat wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the automatic flash on my D70 when I'm in auto mode. I guess I am dense, but I have been reading the maual for an hour and I can't figure it out! ne_nau.gif
    thanks!

Catherine
    Page 96 of the manual, push the flash button (to the left of the lens as you hold the camera) and rotate the main dial until the symbol changes into a flash that looks like it is struck out.

Also, in some modes you can simply close the flash after it pops up, this will shut it down as well, similar, you can pop it open with the flash button if you want a fill flash.

FWIW,

XO,

ps. don't listen to canonites rolleyes1.gif
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    jweathersonjweatherson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    XO-Studios wrote:
    Page 96 of the manual, push the flash button (to the left of the lens as you hold the camera) and rotate the main dial until the symbol changes into a flash that looks like it is struck out.

Also, in some modes you can simply close the flash after it pops up, this will shut it down as well, similar, you can pop it open with the flash button if you want a fill flash.

FWIW,

XO,

ps. don't listen to canonites rolleyes1.gif
    I have a D70 and I agree, I hold the flash button and turn it off often. Also in "P" programed mode it doesn't fire the flash unless you ask it to, i belive that's pretty much the only difference between "P" and "AUTO"
    -James Weatherson

http://brit.smugmug.com
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    I have a D70 and I agree, I hold the flash button and turn it off often. Also in "P" programed mode it doesn't fire the flash unless you ask it to, i belive that's pretty much the only difference between "P" and "AUTO"
    The other thing P mode does for you is it lets you pick where you want to focus. And if you want to slide your exposure. Auto is a crazy mode. Shoot "P" for a sensible auto mode.

cheers!
    Trish
    http://www.trishtunney.com/
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    D70 Flash
    Sports mode will not allow flash to pop up - it is fairly "auto" but with fastest shutter speed for the circs (so wider aperture to match - narrower dof).
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Sports mode also engages AF-C mode - not the best for a lot of subjects. I am not near my camera right now, but I thought landscape mode also disengaged the flash?