Options

WCC #12 "The OTHER Wedding Kisses"

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited September 6, 2010 in Weddings
Hi folks, I changed the settings as some of you guys asked me if we could do a gallery view instead of the normal challenge threads .... So I set something up, let's hope it will work, otherwise please let me know.

Matt announced the new challenge, you can see it here:

go to: www.smugmug.com

(or I think this link should work too: http://dgrinextras.smugmug.com/Wedding-Challenges)

login: DgrinExtras
password: knockknock

Then go to Wedding Challenge • 08/2010 • The OTHER Wedding Kisses

and then you should be able to upload a pic (see top right corner / UPLOAD > TO THIS GALLERY)

When you upload a photo, please name it with YOUR NAME, or your nickname. Please do NOT upload full res files as I can't take any responsibilities for it and don't want the photo to end up in the wrong hands. Feel free to put your name on the photo.

Once we announce the winner, I'll download your photo and it will receive a 1st / 2nd / 3rd place badge :D
I hope this will work and I didn't mess anything up :lol3 :hide

Also, the NEW CUT-OFF date is the last day of each month, I think that will be easier to remember. The winner will be announced on the first day of each month, and we'll hopefully have a new challenge up & running by the 2nd or 3rd day :thumb

Let me know if you have any questions.

Here's Matt's new theme, feel free to use this post for any questions you have :thumb

"The OTHER Wedding Kisses"

Let's see all the wedding day kisses OTHER than the one that comes after "you may now kiss the bride"...

It can be any time during the wedding day including the ceremony, as long as it's not THE kiss. It does not have to be the bride and groom. It doesn't have to be 100% candid; it CAN be "prompted" like when everybody dings their glasses during the reception, etc...

(...Or for example I wanted this image but didn't have all afternoon to wait for it, so I just went over to the couple and said "count to 30 and then kiss"... ;-)

Good luck!

=Matt=

http://dgrinextras.smugmug.com/Wedding-Challenges/Wedding-Challenge082010

Comments

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Cool topic Matt! this should be a fun one. Are we doing a single image again?

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Hey Angie, a couple of things:

* It's kind of annoying to have to log out of our own SmugMug accounts and then back in to the dgrinextras SmugMug. Not the end of the world, though...

* Maybe people could just submit their photos here in the thread, and then either a moderator or the contest host does all the gallery culling / adding?

* Maybe put the submission deadline in the gallery description?

MMatt -

Yes I assumed that *ONE* image was always the rule. If I'm wrong, it's still the rule for this contest.

I think it's really helpful to regularly force ourselves to "pick just one", because it teaches us to be extremely critical of our entire portfolio and to see flaws we might otherwise ignore for another year or two... ;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2010
    Hey Angie, a couple of things:

1* It's kind of annoying to have to log out of our own SmugMug accounts and then back in to the dgrinextras SmugMug. Not the end of the world, though...

2* Maybe people could just submit their photos here in the thread, and then either a moderator or the contest host does all the gallery culling / adding?

3* Maybe put the submission deadline in the gallery description?

=Matt=

1) Point taken ... tough this is the only way to do it :cry Sorry.

2) I'd love to do that, but I am swamped at the moment / during the summer time, so ... let me know ... how does anybody else feel about that? It wouldn't take me thaaaat long, but I'd not be able to do it immediately after you post it ...

3) Will do! thumb.gif

I'm easy as to how many photos you guys want to post, as long as we get NICE photos! I'll leave it up to the challenge poster ...
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    I love this topic Matt!!! Very well chosen. Entries should be awesome!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    Let's go guyyyyssss!!! I am 100% positive you allll have *at least* one photo of a kissing couple!! (you better!) cheerleader.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Hey everybody, I'm loving some of the submissions so far! Exciting...

Let's see some more entries! Tell your friends!

=Matt=
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Just a quick note:

In the 'challenges' forum, when we enter something into the competition gallery we log in and then change the caption to the format Screen Name - Title. I'm not sure if that's what you want to do here, but if you ever decide that you want folks to provide titles, it's a clean way of doing so.

I agree with Matt, some really great stuff in there already! clap.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    4 more days. Let's goooo!!! I'm sure you guys alllll have at leastttt one photo where the couple is kissing :sweet
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Angie, I put one up that doesn't fit the rules. I have it marked please delete and have it hidden. Could you delete it for me? It won't let me do it.

Thanks,
    Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Angie, I put one up that doesn't fit the rules. I have it marked please delete and have it hidden. Could you delete it for me? It won't let me do it.

Thanks,
    Matt

Sure thing ... will do it in a sec. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Sure thing ... will do it in a sec. thumb.gif
    Thnaks Ang, but that was the new one! The old one is now unhidden so you can find it. It says please delete in the dialog box

Thanks,
    Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Thnaks Ang, but that was the new one! The old one is now unhidden so you can find it. It says please delete in the dialog box

Thanks,
    Matt

Ohhhh, gottcha (thiught there was nothing wrong with the one I deleted, ha). Sorry for that!!! Will you resubmit the other one, it's a really pretty one!! (Love them both) iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    Winners announced!!
    Congrats to all the winners wings.gif
    Wedding Challenge • 08/2010 • The OTHER Wedding Kisses

Here's the message I got from Matt:

___

1.) Aleksandras Babicius - light pole silhouettes

2.) Kinkajou - attempted kiss, laughter

3.) Kiss Me! by Ren - little boys, a bride and a tractor

Simple yet powerful elements are always a winning combination. There are four things that go into a portrait- Light, pose, timing, and composition. The more of these you can fit into an image, the more powerful it will be. As we know all too well, lighting skills are no good without good timing and an eye for composition. And a knack for timing can still leave you wanting if the light is wrong. And there are a handful of things that go into composition- texture, shape, color, depth, etc... If something isn't ADDING to an image, then you can be sure it's probably SUBTRACTING from it. So that's why sometimes you MUST eliminate color, and just let textures and lines speak for themselves. Or you can play down texture and color, and let strong shapes and lines "make" the image.

Aleksandras' image is a great example of paying attention to every element that could possibly add or subtract to or from the image. The light makes the shot stand out immediately. The timing isn't critical, but the simple composition and pose still make the image *timeless*. And the elements of composition--color, shape, texture--are all skillfully brought together. Plus, I enjoy it when someone is fearless in the face of pitch-black shadows. None of this fill flash or HDR nonsense!

The other two pics rely mostly on timing, with a touch of decent light, composition, and / or pose. I definitely love them and I am sure the subjects will cherish these images... I will also say that it was hard to pick just a top three, there were at least five more that I would have loved to recognize if I had the time...

If I had to give a reason for picking certain images over others, I think the most common reason would have to do with one thing I often say- more emphasis on the main subject is needed, either by careful composition, or selective depth. The viewer's eyes need to go STRAIGHT to the subject, without trying to focus in and discern a face against a background. As I have said before - the part that makes or breaks a portrait is usually the definition of the subject, and how easily the viewer's eye can be lead to that subject.

Take care,
    =Matt=
    ___

Aleksandras, it's up to you to choose the next challenge theme clap.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Congrats to all the winners wings.gif
    Wedding Challenge • 08/2010 • The OTHER Wedding Kisses

Here's the message I got from Matt:

___

1.) Aleksandras Babicius - light pole silhouettes

2.) Kinkajou - attempted kiss, laughter

3.) Kiss Me! by Ren - little boys, a bride and a tractor

Aleksandras, it's up to you to choose the next challenge theme clap.gif
    Congratulations you three! (Haha not that getting picked by ME is of any importance. I'm just one person with an opinion! :-P ...)

=Matt=
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Great choices. thumb.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Congratulations you three! (Haha not that getting picked by ME is of any importance. I'm just one person with an opinion! :-P ...)

=Matt=

Loved what you chose! All three are fabulous!
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Holy cow, all the entries are fabulous! Congrats you three!
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2010
    Loved what you chose! All three are fabulous!

Agreed Matt, great picks!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Here, here! Congrats to the winners - great shots all the way around.
    clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Wow! What a great surprise, thank you so much for placing me in your top three. There were some really wonderful shots in there! :D

Can't wait for Aleksandras's challenge!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!