Options

Lightroom export to JPEG

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited July 26, 2010 in Finishing School
Jeffrey Friedl's wrote up a little blog piece showing the effects of Lightroom's export to Jpeg at different quality levels. Read here

I found his analysis to be insightful and somewhat surprising. A "one-setting-fits-all" mentality may not be optimal here: set too high and you may be wasting storage space and bandwidth without gaining image quality; too low, and you may be degrading certain kinds of images without appreciably saving space and bandwidth.

It's interesting reading and has cool roll-over examples.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    If you are paying for bandwidth that you can easily run out of or storagespace with great limitations then that might be a concern....but I on the other hand want all of the information I can possibley ahve with all of my images.......not just enough to make a certain sized print........harddrives are getting insanely cheap even up at the 1.5 - 2 tb sizes....website hosts like SMUGMUG do not limit our bandwidth or amount of images...only limitation is to hold my images to a measly 24mb and I am sure that will increase in the near future as cameras get more MP's attached to them or especially if the owners get bit by the huge MP bug and need to store some medium format files...........so i have always saved or exported all jpgs at the largest quality setting possible..................that is JMHO

Yes I read Friedl's blog and I use his exif reader also..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website