A Willy Ronis Exhibition Got Me Shooting Puddles In Paris

BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited August 11, 2010 in Landscapes
I had never heard of Willy Ronis until I met a french woman on a subway - Seeing my camera she mentioned a current exhibition of a guy named Willy Ronis, a contemporary of Cartier-Bresson, Brassai and others. The exhibit was a five minute walk from Pont Neuf where I was headed, so I walked on over. It ended up being one of the highlights of my trip, and I went twice. One of his better known shots is of a woman stepping over a puddle that had a reflection of the tower at Place Vendome - I left there on a quest for puddles with interesting content. Below is one of my attempts at a Ronis puddle photo. Constructive comments welcome.

919100839_kzZV7-L-3.jpg
Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Thank you for making this known! I've not heard of this. I think your photo is remarkable! What a way to view an iconic landscape. Truly interesting...
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    It's a lovely reflection, although I'm not sure I could immediately tell it was a puddle of water. To me it almost looks like an abstract frame. I am always intrigued by these photos also, though I admit I'd not heard of Ronis either. I'll be looking him up now.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    redleash wrote: »
    It's a lovely reflection, although I'm not sure I could immediately tell it was a puddle of water. To me it almost looks like an abstract frame.

Lauren

Thanks for your comments above. I'm not sure how to reply to the frame comment/question. Below is a rough pic that I snapped when I first spotted it. I circled it and obviously shot from a different angle almost directly above and much closer to get the tower. Interesting exercise with results from a pool of cigarette butts to images that I was pretty pleased with. I'm now a Willy Ronis fan...

966041634_BddYo-S.jpg
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________